The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

On 14/11/2021 at 09:40, Bob Mahelp said:

On 14/11/2021 at 09:40, Bob Mahelp said:

While I agree with you about studies to examine the viability of any new stadium, it's surely the job of any city council to provide all kinds of amenities for the people who live in their city. 

Roads, schools and health are important, but so are museums, retail, cultural and sporting facilities. It shouldn't be an 'either/or' situation. 

That's fine but when people will continue to vote for politicians who advocate fiscal austerity it will continue to be an either or situation. There's obviously some cash ring fenced for Aberdeen but there are competing opportunities even then. 

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The club are running a survey about the beach front proposals at the moment - https://www.afc.co.uk/2022/04/18/new-stadium-let-us-know-your-views/

Do we even know how much this new "world-class community sports complex" is going to cost club and council? It's a bit tricky to give an opinion without that knowledge.

I know this is a bit cynical and typically Aberdonian take but after 20 odd years of listening to this it all seems a bit...

climate-change-climate-action.gif.e72e5e83144ac8bd82e12fe41d469e2c.gif

The jist of my response was that Aberdeen FC should remain in the city and that I fully support a new stadium by the beach. I believe that a new Aberdeen stadium here could be the magnificent centrepiece of a regenerated beachfront.

My top 3 important factors to consider were:

1. Beach location
2. Atmosphere
3. Iconic design

#standfree

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Do we even know how much this new "world-class community sports complex" is going to cost club and council? It's a bit tricky to give an opinion without that knowledge.

I know this is a bit cynical and typically Aberdonian take but after 20 odd years of listening to this it all seems a bit...

I doubt you’re alone in your cynicism. 

Im glad kingsford appears to have gone but this seems right back at square one. It barely registers when I see a new story on it now.

‘A new plan for the stadium aye…?’

Animated GIF

The ASV is already a top class community sports complex, and is just a hop, skip and jump from the beach.

The idea of having a hulking great football stadium right by the beach gives me the fear. Litter on the beach is already a problem in summer (blown from the promenade) and with the windy autumn and winter we get this would be a year round problem.

The "cricket pitch" is popular with families and folk with dogs. I'd hate to see that go. I know this sounds like nimby pish, and it is. I live here, and love it. 

37 minutes ago, velo army said:

The ASV is already a top class community sports complex, and is just a hop, skip and jump from the beach.

The idea of having a hulking great football stadium right by the beach gives me the fear. Litter on the beach is already a problem in summer (blown from the promenade) and with the windy autumn and winter we get this would be a year round problem.

The "cricket pitch" is popular with families and folk with dogs. I'd hate to see that go. I know this sounds like nimby pish, and it is. I live here, and love it. 

Club have had issues with being double booked over the years 🤣

When ASV was built Aberdeen FC wanted nothing to to do with it initially (in terms of using it for training). I think that changed after a couple of years and some bad winter sessions though and I remember when I used to live in Aberdeen you started to see more AFC players popping up there for training along with various Highland League sides. I'm sure I saw Buckie rock up there a few times for training over the years.

It's a cracking facility and genuinely one of the things I miss most about Ehburdeen :lol: 

35 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Very encouraging to see the amount of folk on the socials saying they want the new ground at the beach to be at least 20-22k capacity. Unlike some on here who would be happy with a ground smaller than Rugby Park. #ambition

Would be interested to find out how many of those folk go to games in the first place.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Shit training regime.  No wonder you’re struggling.

Around £75m going by the article on the BBC website today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61169743