The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

It could also mean 18,000 all seater, or 20,000 with a standing section.

Standing section is something that should be incorporated into the new ground IMO.

It can have 20k if the demand is there, hence the +\- 2000 bit

Surely the demand is there as I’ve just shown?

What's the extra cost in building another 2000 seats?

I have no idea but I imagine in the long run it would pay off.

18,000 is a bit pathetic for the “3rd biggest club in Scotland” IMO. That’s smaller than Rugby Park ffs. Seems odd to build a smaller ground than what you currently have, considering that you can - and will in the future - attract crowds of over 20k. Given Aberdeen are a European regular you would imagine they will at least be consistently getting big crowds at the start of every season. If Aberdeen progress to the group stages this season that’s almost guaranteed 20k+ crowds for every home game.

I get it costs more to accommodate more people but it doesn’t make sense to shut people out. Even if you can’t regularly fill it and you are usually getting say 16-17k, you’ll hardly notice the empty seats. And it will all be worth it for the big games and it’s a sell out.

Some would argue that St Johnstone don’t need a 10k stadium. Even though our average is like 3-4000 we’ve shown that it’s worth having that capacity available because on the odd occasion we are capable of getting 8000-9000 fans through the gate.

One thing Aberdeen could do is build their ground as two tiered stands on perhaps 3 sides. If they get a low crowd, they can shut the top tier. Because the ground is a bowl design it would still be a decent atmosphere with the lower tiers full.

But yeah, anything lower than 20k is a step backwards for a club of Aberdeen’s statute and ambitions.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Standing section is something that should be incorporated into the new ground IMO.

Surely the demand is there as I’ve just shown?

I have no idea but I imagine in the long run it would pay off.

18,000 is a bit pathetic for the “3rd biggest club in Scotland” IMO. That’s smaller than Rugby Park ffs. Seems odd to build a smaller ground than what you currently have, considering that you can - and will in the future - attract crowds of over 20k. Given Aberdeen are a European regular you would imagine they will at least be consistently getting big crowds at the start of every season. If Aberdeen progress to the group stages this season that’s almost guaranteed 20k+ crowds for every home game.

I get it costs more to accommodate more people but it doesn’t make sense to shut people out. Even if you can’t regularly fill it and you are usually getting say 16-17k, you’ll hardly notice the empty seats. And it will all be worth it for the big games and it’s a sell out.

Some would argue that St Johnstone don’t need a 10k stadium. Even though our average is like 3-4000 we’ve shown that it’s worth having that capacity available because on the odd occasion we are capable of getting 8000-9000 fans through the gate.

One thing Aberdeen could do is build their ground as two tiered stands on perhaps 3 sides. If they get a low crowd, they can shut the top tier. Because the ground is a bowl design it would still be a decent atmosphere with the lower tiers full.

But yeah, anything lower than 20k is a step backwards for a club of Aberdeen’s statute and ambitions.

The demand clearly isn't there though. I know this from sitting inside partially full grounds for years. Big gaps all over the place because people like to sit in certain areas.

IMO 18,000 with the possibility to expand in the future if required is more than enough.

• 2 months later...

“The report and images released by the Council today demonstrate the “art of the possible” recognising that the project is still at an early stage of development. The Club will work with the Council and its consultants to provide input as they develop a detailed business case and funding plan for the project.”

Translated as ‘the stadium won’t look like that’ 

9 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

That's not a pier. That's a walkway.  You'll never get Black Lace, The Nolans or Roy Chubby Brown appearing on that. 

You could ask Leigh Francis to go the the end of it, and ask him to keep walking.