The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Expecting nothing to happen with the beach solution until ACC finalise the new City Centre Masterplan. Going off past CCMP reports, with the club advertising for supporters to give feedback, it will easily be the most feedback they'll have received for any wide consultation exercise in at least a decade.

Typically only really invested stakeholders give the majority of feedback, but with the typical Aberdeen fan being made aware, the results will be tilted towards the stadium at the beach being very high, if not top of the priorities.

• 4 weeks later...

ACC have releases proposals for a new stadium as part of the wider masterplan for the beach. Looks like they’re wanting it on the site of the cricket pitch, as opposed to the old Hilton hotel, with possible links to the ballroom, ice rink, leisure centre and watersports facilities.

Get it built.

https://committees.aberdeencity.gov.uk/documents/s123822/APPENDIX%20D%20-%20LEISURE%20STADIUM%20ver2.pdf

The problem with using images and existing precedent from projects like BIG (the Copenhagen ski-slope/incinerator project) is that you'd never get the support for something like that in the UK. It'd have to be drab and covered in that student block cladding board to make the committee.

One thing I will say though that is disappointing is that the ground is being proposed as 18,000 (+/- 2000 - whatever that’s supposed to mean). I think the new ground should at least be the same capacity as Pittodrie - and bigger than both Tynecastle and Easter Road. Can’t claim to be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland but build a smaller ground than them!

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

One thing I will say though that is disappointing is that the ground is being proposed as 18,000 (+/- 2000 - whatever that’s supposed to mean). I think the new ground should at least be the same capacity as Pittodrie - and bigger than both Tynecastle and Easter Road. Can’t claim to be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland but build a smaller ground than them!

Why?

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Why?

With Scottish football (for now) massively over-reliant on fan attendance, a relatively small difference in upfront costs could have bigger implications for financing further down the line?

Why?

Because Aberdeen fans have shown they can fill the ground for big games. In recent years they had 20,085 vs Apollon (2017), 20,385 vs Celtic (2015), 19,263 vs Rangers (2016), 20,313 vs Burnley. List goes on. No way should the new ground be any less than 20k.

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

being proposed as 18,000 (+/- 2000 - whatever that’s supposed to mean)

I'd guess it means they can go 2000 either way using more or less the same footprint and without affecting the rest of the proposals in any significant way. FWIW, I think around 18,000 is about right - it's a capacity we'd be more likely to hit on a more regular basis, and I'd rather a smaller stadium close to full than a bigger one with more empty space.

It could also mean 18,000 all seater, or 20,000 with a standing section.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Because Aberdeen fans have shown they can fill the ground for big games. In recent years they had 20,085 vs Apollon (2017), 20,385 vs Celtic (2015), 19,263 vs Rangers (2016), 20,313 vs Burnley. List goes on. No way should the new ground be any less than 20k.

It can have 20k if the demand is there, hence the +\- 2000 bit

22 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

What's the extra cost in building another 2000 seats?