The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

This all sounds fine and dandy until you look at the practicalities. Walking along the A944, which has minimal pavements, sounds rather dangerous, especially as you'd need to cross the bypass somehow.

They likely won't, it's a bridge. Easier to put a footpath (if there isn't one already there) under it.

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Westhill is neither a large town nor next door to the stadium.

Well you can debate with someone else whether a town with over 12,000 people in it is considered large or not, but it literally borders Kingsford so not sure how you can argue it isn't next door. 

10 minutes ago, Dunty said:

They likely won't, it's a bridge. Easier to put a footpath (if there isn't one already there) under it.

Well you can debate with someone else whether a town with over 12,000 people in it is considered large or not, but it literally borders Kingsford so not sure how you can argue it isn't next door. 

Yes, it's a bridge but it has a roundabout underneath it. Which has no pavements. Who's going to put pavements and pedestrian crossings in and who's going to pay for it? And let's not forget lighting.

Paisley is a large town. Westhill isn't. And while it's relatively close it isn't next door.

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Yes, it's a bridge but it has a roundabout underneath it. Which has no pavements. Who's going to put pavements and pedestrian crossings in and who's going to pay for it? And let's not forget lighting.

Paisley is a large town. Westhill isn't. And while it's relatively close it isn't next door.

Considering a photo of the latest work a few pages ago show the lawsondale pitches - which are in Westhill - literally bordering the Kingsford site, I can't imagine what your definition of next door is.

3 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Considering a photo of the latest work a few pages ago show the lawsondale pitches - which are in Westhill - literally bordering the Kingsford site, I can't imagine what your definition of next door is.

It's the same as anyone else's.

Well you can debate with someone else whether a town with over 12,000 people in it is considered large or not

I suppose if Brechin can call itself a “City” then Westhill can call itself a large town.

But then, for consistency, we would have to start referring to Falkirk as a Megalopolis

So I’d rather we just nipped this in the bud

9 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Pedestrian crossings are a planning condition. AFC needs to provide them. 

I mind when folk were gurning about the location of Caley Stadium.  Kingsford makes that look like its right next to Inverness Train Station in comparison.

Mind you, you won't need to worry about coming to Caley Stadium in the near future amirite guys!

10 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

There is an existing footpath (the one people are arguing about above) and traffic lighted pedestrian crossings already there under the bypass. 

Aberdeen Cowden, how was traffic the rest of the week? I commute in from Westhill to Aberdeen and most days the traffic at Kingsford is fine, maybe it's the time I'm travelling at. There is the odd day when queues have built up but even then they tend to move quickly. The new hold up at the bypass seems to break up the traffic for the rest of my trip into town, meaning overall times haven't changed - obviously not the case if you're only going to Kingswells 

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That would be disappointing, I cant rely on trains/buses to get to games so driving is my only option, and cadonas allowed me to get out of Aberdeen and on the way down within half an hour of the match finishing.

Can imagine you'll be able to park at the new stadium in the away fans parking section.

2 hours ago, donmoanin said:

There is an existing footpath (the one people are arguing about above) and traffic lighted pedestrian crossings already there under the bypass. 

Aberdeen Cowden, how was traffic the rest of the week? I commute in from Westhill to Aberdeen and most days the traffic at Kingsford is fine, maybe it's the time I'm travelling at. There is the odd day when queues have built up but even then they tend to move quickly. The new hold up at the bypass seems to break up the traffic for the rest of my trip into town, meaning overall times haven't changed - obviously not the case if you're only going to Kingswells 

Yes, there is a footpath. That's not the problem, folk will have to go in single file if there are many using it. Step off the footpath and you are on the dual carriageway. 

I only commented on the traffic when the road was busy, between 1530 and 1800. OK, not a Saturday, but nowhere near the amount of traffic going to or worse coming from a football game.

Unfortunately, the bypass was already built before the decision to go ahead with the stadium was given. Had it been possible to take the stadium into consideration the whole design of the roads would have been different

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Yes, there is a footpath. That's not the problem, folk will have to go in single file if there are many using it. Step off the footpath and you are on the dual carriageway. 

They have to step onto the road because of course the other side of the footpath isn't grass, but is in fact hot lava.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I only commented on the traffic when the road was busy, between 1530 and 1800. OK, not a Saturday, but nowhere near the amount of traffic going to or worse coming from a football game.

What's the traffic like on King Street between 1530 and 1800? What's it like after a game?

I had a wander past Boavista's stadium last week. Amazing the capacity of that ground despite the tight footprint. Different country of course and perhaps different building standards but interesting with consideration of the arguments against redevelopment of Pittodrie. 

2 hours ago, Dunty said:

They have to step onto the road because of course the other side of the footpath isn't grass, but is in fact hot lava.

What's the traffic like on King Street between 1530 and 1800? What's it like after a game?

No it isn't hot lava, might as well be though, it's fully grown beech trees.

As for King Street, you trying to compare a city road, with slow moving traffic,broad pavements either side and folk crossing between the cars to a dual carriageway?

Save yourself some time and go out to Prime Four and walk to the Five Mile Garage and back then you'll see exactly what the problem is.

16 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

No it isn't hot lava, might as well be though, it's fully grown beech trees.

As for King Street, you trying to compare a city road, with slow moving traffic,broad pavements either side and folk crossing between the cars to a dual carriageway?

Save yourself some time and go out to Prime Four and walk to the Five Mile Garage and back then you'll see exactly what the problem is.

You were talking about the road being packed with traffic and the delays at the roundabout. You can't keep changing your mind and saying cars will be whizzing past at 100mph while also claiming the road will be gridlocked.

If I was to walk along the footpath now, I'd be fine. And by the time the stadium is built, the footpath will have additional safety measures in place.

13 minutes ago, Dunty said:

You were talking about the road being packed with traffic and the delays at the roundabout. You can't keep changing your mind and saying cars will be whizzing past at 100mph while also claiming the road will be gridlocked.

If I was to walk along the footpath now, I'd be fine. And by the time the stadium is built, the footpath will have additional safety measures in place.

What additional safety measures?

23 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

What additional safety measures?

According to the stadium application, guard rails on both sides of the A944, and police will be controlling traffic so fans can use the toucan crossing. Also an additional footpath added - don't know where but guessing from the park and ride.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

It like speaking to a brick wall! The dual carriageway will be very busy going to the stadium from town. Not everyone will be walking to the stadium at the same time. At the end of a game the reverse will be true. Folk won’t be walking to Kingswells in drips and drabs. Of course you’d be fine - for now. You still don’t get it so leave it alone. 

By the time the stadium is built, you’ll be using redundant choppers to transport fans back and forward from town Stewarty.

19 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

You can debate what is considered large and what isn’t, but Westhill has a higher population than Montrose and Stonehaven, to name but two.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You can debate what is considered large and what isn’t, but Westhill has a higher population than Montrose and Stonehaven, to name but two.

3.jpg.68b38953eaaa0a4406353a392eac8e8f.jpg

pop.jpg.a7460c2d304ba17b387f20b2e594689a.jpg

Paisley “Scotland's largest town.” has approx 6.3 x the population. of Westhill.

"City" of Perth approx  3.85 x pop.

so by my calculations 3 tractor tipping gifs every home game and everyone's* happy!

*Hibs  / St Johnstone fans not included.