The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

10 hours ago, Dunty said:

Again, have you actually been there?

In the middle of nowhere would be it being built out in the country next to nothing, but when there's around 20,000 people within walking distance of the site, and plenty of shops, bars, takeaways, restaurants, hotels etc, then it's not in the middle of nowhere. It's just not in the city centre.

Buses or driving. So essentially the same as Pittodrie?

Less than 8% go by train, and they are from outwith Aberdeen.

Because of the lack of train station? 

Again, very few people travel by train, and on midweek games you wouldn't be able to anyway. 

As I said in an earlier post, if Rangers and Celtic have a midweek game at Pittodrie, or a Sunday lunchtime one, trains from Glasgow are not an option. They still manage to fill the away end, because if people want to go to a game, they'll find a way.

Because travelling to the moon will be the same as getting from Aberdeen city centre to Kingsford right enough.

No, I haven't been there. I don't tend to spent my spare time standing about in remote fields a few miles outside cities. I do have access to the internet and therefore can explore the location through the magic of Google Maps.  The shops, bars, takeaways, restaurants and hotels which are within "walking distance" are in fact over a mile away.

Yes, obviously the people who travel by train are from outwith Aberdeen, given that Aberdeen only has one train station. Most of them will presumably walk, which won't be an option for them any more.

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No, I haven't been there. I don't tend to spent my spare time standing about in remote fields a few miles outside cities. I do have access to the internet and therefore can explore the location through the magic of Google Maps.  The shops, bars, takeaways, restaurants and hotels which are within "walking distance" are in fact over a mile away.

For starters, I can think of three bars (five if you count that the Westhill Hotel has three bars in it) all within a mile of where the stadium will be. Not to mention the bar being proposed at the stadium. 

There are applications that have been passed for places literally across the road from it. Of course, google maps wouldn't tell you that..

Even so, is a mile not walking distance? You're championing fans walking from the train station, which is well over a mile.

Yes, obviously the people who travel by train are from outwith Aberdeen, given that Aberdeen only has one train station.

It has two.

Most of them will presumably walk, which won't be an option for them any more.

So less than 8% of the home crowd which two surveys have established. Most of that 8% already make alternative arrangements for midweek and Sunday lunchtime kick-offs.

Like I said before, if the council announced they were building a train station near Kingsford, great. But it would be a bonus, it's not a necessity.

I used to park at Cadonas and just walk to Pittodrie, Google tells me it's a 19 minute walk but it felt shorter, is there anywhere a similar distance I'll be able do the same with for the new ground?

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I used to park at Cadonas and just walk to Pittodrie, Google tells me it's a 19 minute walk but it felt shorter, is there anywhere a similar distance I'll be able do the same with for the new ground?

Braemar. Probably. 

9 hours ago, Dunty said:

Right enough. Hopefully we'll stay at Pittodrie in that case since there's absolutely no solution that would ever make walking next to a road safe..

You keep asking folk if they’ve been there. Maybe you should have another look. Tell me where in Scotland where there is a narrow path inches away from a dual carriageway, not a “road”, that several thousand fans on foot have to use.

3 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You keep asking folk if they’ve been there. Maybe you should have another look. Tell me where in Scotland where there is a narrow path inches away from a dual carriageway, not a “road”, that several thousand fans on foot have to use.

Widening the footpath is one of the conditions of the stadium application being passed. But again, this is yet another example of you deliberately playing dumb, as if there's nothing anyone could ever do to make a footpath safer to use.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No. You would be better staying at home.

5 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Widening the footpath is one of the conditions of the stadium application being passed. But again, this is yet another example of you deliberately playing dumb, as if there's nothing anyone could ever do to make a footpath safer to use.

Just out of interest then. How much wider? This must surely be documented. These are all questions that should be asked before the stadium is built. More importantly what is to be done about the Kingsford roundabout which isn’t fit for purpose. The Council have admitted that there is a problem there.

22 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Just out of interest then. How much wider? This must surely be documented. These are all questions that should be asked before the stadium is built. More importantly what is to be done about the Kingsford roundabout which isn’t fit for purpose. The Council have admitted that there is a problem there.

Remember speaking to someone involved in the building of the by-pass before the stadium had been approved, he said even before that it had been identified that some junctions would not be suitable for traffic flow at busy times, the problem was although they knew the problem as the by-pass had went through the planning application they would have to build as shown or re-submit the planning to change it, given the time it took to go through in the first place it was built knowing certain bits were not going to be fit for use even before adding in football traffic.

30 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Just out of interest then. How much wider? This must surely be documented.

Cringe.

30 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

These are all questions that should be asked before the stadium is built. More importantly what is to be done about the Kingsford roundabout which isn’t fit for purpose. The Council have admitted that there is a problem there.

The roundabout isn't the club's responsibility.

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Genuinely wish I was as passionate about anything in life as Dunty is about his precious Kingsford Sooper Stadium.  M6.png.64ab1daaa9d6b3433ba15c3e46e8e054.png

You've posted far more in this thread than I have.

3 minutes ago, Dunty said:

You've posted far more in this thread than I have.

Don't know if there's a way to verify that, but doubt it's true.

Almost all of your 382 posts have been dedicated to serving as Stewart Milne's personal firefighter.  M2.png.3bd18eb569f5fbde16c2cad577069eb4.png

34 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

If only the council had some sort of process in place to look into this sort of thing. 

They could call it "planning" 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No. 

That would be disappointing, I cant rely on trains/buses to get to games so driving is my only option, and cadonas allowed me to get out of Aberdeen and on the way down within half an hour of the match finishing.

3 hours ago, Dunty said:

Funnily enough AFC were repeatedly asked for details on how folks would walk from the east and their attitude was that there would not be many people walking from this direction.

RDM have repeatedly asked for a comprehensive assessment of this facility; however none has been brought forward, as the applicant contends that it is unlikely that a considerable number of people would walk from the stadium to the east. That being said, the applicant’s transportation consultant has been involved in discussions with ACC regarding the removal of a historic layby at the Five Mile Garage (between the proposed stadium and the Prime Four business park), which ACC agree would be beneficial. However, the larger issue is that there are several areas of narrow footway where the surrounding land is outwith the control of both ACC and the applicant.

There is nothing ACC or AFC can do to make a footpath wider if the ground beside it is owned by a third party, regardless on any planning conditions.  Just another example of the over use of conditions to get this application through.  Far easier to get a condition changed afterwards.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That would be disappointing, I cant rely on trains/buses to get to games so driving is my only option, and cadonas allowed me to get out of Aberdeen and on the way down within half an hour of the match finishing.

Maybe they’ll let you borrow a dodgem car.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Funnily enough AFC were repeatedly asked for details on how folks would walk from the east and their attitude was that there would not be many people walking from this direction.

There is nothing ACC or AFC can do to make a footpath wider if the ground beside it is owned by a third party, regardless on any planning conditions.  Just another example of the over use of conditions to get this application through.  Far easier to get a condition changed afterwards.

You are wasting your time. I 5hink we are communicating with Wi$$y.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You do realise he was joking?

Park at Kingswells Park and Ride. It's pretty much the same walking distance give or take, but there'll also be shuttle buses running from there straight to the stadium before and after the match.

Alternatively, there'll be parking to the west of the stadium which again is the same distance. There's also a big town called Westhill next door to the site.

The bypass is right next to the stadium and you'll likely be home far quicker than you would leaving Pittodrie. 

4 hours ago, strichener said:

Well 20,000 people aren't going to be walking down the path. 

It holds 900 spaces or something, and there'll be buses running from it to the site.

The majority who are parked will likely head west towards either Arnhall, or Westhill.

15 minutes ago, Dunty said:

You do realise he was joking?

Park at Kingswells Park and Ride. It's pretty much the same walking distance give or take, but there'll also be shuttle buses running from there straight to the stadium before and after the match.

Alternatively, there'll be parking to the west of the stadium which again is the same distance. There's also a big town called Westhill next door to the site.

The bypass is right next to the stadium and you'll likely be home far quicker than you would leaving Pittodrie. 

This all sounds fine and dandy until you look at the practicalities. Walking along the A944, which has minimal pavements, sounds rather dangerous, especially as you'd need to cross the bypass somehow.

Westhill is neither a large town nor next door to the stadium.