The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

5 hours ago, Aim Here said:

there's a reason why NEW stadiums tend to be nestled in industrial parks or residential areas or out of town trade warehouse parks, rather than beside mixed-use retail streets

FIFY .

I'd wager the biggest reason is the price of land.

The prospect of punters bused in for three hours, once a fortnight for nine months of the year isn't exactly one that'll drive that much in the way of licensed trade on its own. 

You seem to think my off the cuff comment was suggesting  a new Doric Dubai™ was going to spring up to service the 12-14k reds that will fire thru on a Sat?

Football drives a lot less trade than you think it does

Pittodrie is walking distance to a few neighbourhoods(sic) / uni / city centre, yet a pub 20 ft from the door lies dormant - i'm fully aware of how little trade flows in certain areas outwith  match day.

The facts are our stadium isn't fit for purpose, and if building a new one on the outskirts of the city lets my club grow and prosper i'll happily embrace it if that is the only option.

folk love a moan! me ? i love a pint and the football and I've caught many a bus/taxi in the pursuit thereof and cant see that changing.

<happy>wiggy.png.dc3a3427ce2b16bcb6c85f4d93fd52d4.png<clap>

2 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

The facts are our stadium isn't fit for purpose, and if building a new one on the outskirts of the city lets my club grow and prosper i'll happily embrace it if that is the only option.

Not a fact, the opinion of a boardroom with vested interests to sell off Pittodrie.

It won't let your club grow.

It's not the only option.

You are being taken for a fucking ride.

I’ll bet a pound to a penny that many aspects of the Aberdeen move will mirror exactly what happened when we moved from Love Street to the LegoDome.... initially, mostly negative views, as all we ever knew, and grew up with, was Love Street/Pittodrie. It will be regarded as ‘soulless’, too far away from town, not much near it, not the same atmosphere as Love Street/Pittodrie....

Fast forward ten years. Gub Celtic 4-0 in the cup, win a title under Jack Ross, and see the drama of the Arabs being shite at penalties.... all with good crowds and with the impetus of the W7 singing section - far from ‘soulless’ any more.

In time, Aberdeen will do fine in their new midden. Just give it time lads.

I’ll bet a pound to a penny that many aspects of the Aberdeen move will mirror exactly what happened when we moved from Love Street to the LegoDome.... initially, mostly negative views, as all we ever knew, and grew up with, was Love Street/Pittodrie. It will be regarded as ‘soulless’, too far away from town, not much near it, not the same atmosphere as Love Street/Pittodrie....
Fast forward ten years. Gub Celtic 4-0 in the cup, win a title under Jack Ross, and see the drama of the Arabs being shite at penalties.... all with good crowds and with the impetus of the W7 singing section - far from ‘soulless’ any more.
Too far from town? I parked opposite Love Street last time I was there and walked to the new ground in about 10 minutes. The new ground is also next to a train station. I can't remember too many grumbles about the location of the new ground. It is a soulless Lego ground, but the location is pretty decent.

32 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
58 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Too far from town? I parked opposite Love Street last time I was there and walked to the new ground in about 10 minutes. The new ground is also next to a train station. I can't remember too many grumbles about the location of the new ground. It is a soulless Lego ground, but the location is pretty decent.

I should rephrase - many fans approached the old stadium by walking down Love Street from town. From traditional pubs, like the Wee Barrel, past traditional eating haunts like the Cosmo chippy. You couldn’t see the ground until the last minute. You rounded the corner, saw the floodlights.... the smell of chips, booze, fags.... it was what we knew.

Then the new place wasn’t like that. It was surrounded by car parks and not much of anything. The Dons fans will initially feel like years, decades, watching great teams, with all the associated memories of pubs and routine - has gone.

Then, in time, new memories are made, and a new generation of fans will grow up only knowing the new midden. I still miss aspects of Love Street, but I do now feel like the new wee dinkydome (said with affection), is indeed home.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Apart from the last point about the W7 singing section, not one of these things you've listed has anything to do with the new ground.

There are obviously loads of differences between the Love Street-St Mirren Park move and Pittodrie-Kingsford.

Moving the equivalent distance westwards that Aberdeen are planning on moving would've seen St Mirren's new ground roughly near Bridge of Weir, rather than ten minutes up the road in a (still fairly residential) area of Paisley.

St Mirren's new ground has a station right by it, too. The nearest to Kingsford is Dyce or Aberdeen, which are both hours away by foot.

For what it's worth, Love Street was a much better ground in a much better location, and St Mirren Park has very little of the same character, it's just another identikit, English League Two stadium. If you slapped another club's badge on the outside of the ground and told me they played there instead, I'd believe you.

In fact, wait a minute...

Spoiler

SAINTS-CELTIC.jpg.6c17ee653776150ba3b7974a67a2fd8f.jpg

Edited by HibsFan

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

Apart from the last point about the W7 singing section, not one of these things you've listed has anything to do with the new ground.

There are obviously loads of differences between the Love Street-St Mirren Park move and Pittodrie-Kingsford.

Moving the equivalent distance westwards that Aberdeen are planning on moving would've seen St Mirren's new ground roughly near Bridge of Weir, rather than ten minutes up the road in a (still fairly residential) area of Paisley.

St Mirren's new ground has a station right by it, too. The nearest to Kingsford is Dyce or Aberdeen, which are both hours away by foot.

For what it's worth, Love Street was a much better ground in a much better location, and St Mirren Park has very little of the same character, it's just another identikit, English League Two stadium. If you slapped another club's badge on the outside of the ground and told me they played there instead, I'd believe you.

In fact, wait a minute...

Hide contents

SAINTS-CELTIC.jpg.6c17ee653776150ba3b7974a67a2fd8f.jpg

You have re-inforced the point I am making. The accusations that the new place was ‘soulless’ while Love Street, was somehow magical is, in my opinon, looking at things through rose tinted specs. A successful St Mirren team winning some games, winning a title, and being involved in an exciting penalty shoot out to secure top flight status is key. For large parts of the 1990s, Love Street was a dreadful place to be in... just as the new midden was for large periods watching Gus Macpherson’s team shitfesting its way to 0-0 draws. Atmosphere and ‘soul’ are little to do with the concrete and steel around the pitch, but about the memories created on it.

Was Love Street really a better ground than the new one? Not in my view. A subjective matter obviously.  It was a better stadium for the away fans, who had the large Caledonia stand which afforded excellent sightlines.. The main stand was about 100 years past its sell by date and cost a lot in running repairs. The North Bank was ruined when seats went in, and the Love Street end was a freezing cold wind tunnel. 

Love Street had the history and the memories. Of course it had, but our BoD definitely made the right call. St Mirren fans never claim the new place is the Nou Camp, nor is it anything but an identikit ground - but its our identikit ground, now ten years old, and we are doing quite nicely in it... unlike, erm, the ‘characterful’ Tannadice for example.

Ha, the Sellik shop - a nice wee earner,  but, as usual with our old BoD, handled dreadfully in a PR sense.

Edited by pozbaird

You have re-inforced the point I am making. The accusations that the new place was ‘soulless’ while Love Street, was somehow magical is, in my opinon, looking at things through rose tinted specs. A successful St Mirren team winning some games, winning a title, and being involved in an exciting penalty shoot out to secure top flight status is key. For large parts of the 1990s, Love Street was a dreadful place to be in... just as the new midden was for large periods watching Gus Macpherson’s team shitfesting its way to 0-0 draws. Atmosphere and ‘soul’ are little to do with the concrete and steel around the pitch, but about the memories created on it.
Was Love Street really a better ground than the new one? Not in my view. A subjective matter obviously.  It was a better stadium for the away fans, who had the large Caledonia stand which afforded excellent sightlines.. The main stand was about 100 years past its sell by date and cost a lot in running repairs. The North Bank was ruined when seats went in, and the Love Street end was a freezing cold wind tunnel. 
Love Street had the history and the memories. Of course it had, but our BoD definitely made the right call. St Mirren fans never claim the new place is the Nou Camp, nor is it anything but an identikit ground - but its our identikit ground, now ten years old, and we are doing quite nicely in it... unlike, erm, the ‘characterful’ Tannadice for example.
Ha, the Sellik shop - a nice wee earner,  but, as usual with our old BoD, handled dreadfully in a PR sense.

None of which addresses the fact that it's still actually quite close by and easy to get to.

Very few people are criticising the new Aberdeen stadium because of the stadium itself. They're criticising it because it's in the middle of nowhere and is obviously going to be a nightmare to travel to.

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

So now Milne needs two million ponds just to allow the training facilities and “sports hub”  to be completed.

Where is the money for the stadium coming from? Looks like fans will need deep pockets.

Source?

All I can see is the statement about transitioning to a Ltd, which they hope will raise £2m. It's been news for a fair while now that they'll try an open share purchase.

They produced a video recently and explicitly stated phase 1 was already fully funded...

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

None of which addresses the fact that it's still actually quite close by and easy to get to.

Very few people are criticising the new Aberdeen stadium because of the stadium itself. They're criticising it because it's in the middle of nowhere and is obviously going to be a nightmare to travel to.

Some wild assumptions there. Have you ever actually been to the site where the stadium is being built, or are you basing your knowledge on some of the histrionics on this thread?

It isn't "in the middle of nowhere", it's situated between Westhill and Kingswells, and that stretch of A944 which the stadium is being built on is being filled, slowly, with hotels, takeaways, offices and actually more houses as the towns next to the stadium site grow. There are a range of applications in both the Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire LDPs. In about 10 years the chances are the stadium will be surrounded by new infrastructure. 

As for "nightmare to travel to". Again, just more conjecture. By car & bus it'll likely be easier than Pittodrie. By foot, or those small numbers who arrive by train, they'll have an additional journey to make. I wouldn't call that "a nightmare".

A train station next to the stadium would be a bonus. It's not a necessity.