The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

On 4/27/2019 at 18:56, jessmagic said:

Wager there is a high correlation between those in favour of the new stadium and those rejoicing over Considine's new contract. 

I'll lay that bet, from my admittedly limited experience, its the opposite. Those happy with the mediocity & inadequacy of Pittodrie, are equally..........you know the rest

On 4/12/2019 at 09:08, HibsFan said:

Folk travelling by car to a football match without a very good reason to = conservative voters who should be the very last priority in any consultation plans on a new ground.

you are an idiot

6 hours ago, fatshaft said:

f**k all a-dea with the roundabout. It's an oblongabout, the line of sight coming off the AWPR and looking east to see if you can exit is more than enough, just shite driving is the issue. Folk fae Westhill, fit div ye expect, they don;t even know what the inside lane is for. 

LEARN

2 hours ago, fatshaft said:

Good stuff, can you clarify why this is in the stadium thread? There will be total and utter gridlock once the Wiggy Dome is complete, people won't even be able to get to the cinema, so the "dangerous roundabout" will be moot. 

TO

I'll lay that bet, from my admittedly limited experience, its the opposite. Those happy with the mediocity & inadequacy of Pittodrie, are equally..........you know the rest

FUCKING

You live in Skene ye pap. 

MULTI

you are an idiot

Good stuff, can you clarify why this is in the stadium thread? There will be total and utter gridlock once the Wiggy Dome is complete, people won't even be able to get to the cinema, so the "dangerous roundabout" will be moot. 

If Dons fans put some pressure on it might just help get the thing fixed. Everyone’s a winner then. No way can this be ignored.

Went into town this morning and the traffic was backing up on to the bypass in both directions. Ridiculous.

I was up at Pittodrie on Friday for the Hearts game supporting someone with autism. He likes the Dandies and lives in Fife so this was a special treat for him.
We got the train up to Aberdeen,staying in a hotel near the station for the night.We were able to grab a bite to eat and walk to the ground and back stopping in the Pittodrie bar both ways to get a wee bit more of the atmosphere.
How easy will this be once they move to the new ground?
I know its not my place to criticise not being a regular and we have been over the reasons for the move many a time but I think the current location is almost perfect.

45 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I was up at Pittodrie on Friday for the Hearts game supporting someone with autism. He likes the Dandies and lives in Fife so this was a special treat for him.
We got the train up to Aberdeen,staying in a hotel near the station for the night.We were able to grab a bite to eat and walk to the ground and back stopping in the Pittodrie bar both ways to get a wee bit more of the atmosphere.
How easy will this be once they move to the new ground?
I know its not my place to criticise not being a regular and we have been over the reasons for the move many a time but I think the current location is almost perfect.

You're at least a couple of years away from getting a genuinely sensible answer I'm afraid.

On 12/04/2019 at 00:49, Dindeleux said:

I have absolutely no idea where this is in relation to the new stadium but I have a friend who lives in Dyce (no idea how big Dyce is either but he lives a couple of streets away from BP offices) and he got a survey thing through today asking his opinion on tram links into Aberdeen.

Does Aberdeen already have trams in the city centre and, if so, would this be a possible solution to the transport issues?

They did away with the trams in 1958. Was deemed that buses were cheaper to run.

Not heard anything about Dyce tram links but Labour like to announce stuff like this every now and again - trams, light rail, etc. Basically a "vote for us and we'll give you this", followed by them blowing money on feasibility's studies that tell them the blatantly obvious.

Their latest gimmick was to say that when the new TECA (the new concert venue that's replacing the AECC) was built they would link Dyce railway, the airport and TECA with light rail. The feasibility study pointed out there's houses in the way of their proposed line. No-one appeared to notice this before.

On 12/04/2019 at 10:15, Dons_1988 said:

This thread has become absolutely tragic, mostly populated by folk who clearly want the new stadium to fail.

I am withdrawing from this particular thread.

You clearly want this thread to fail.

On 12/04/2019 at 12:12, sjc said:

I thought a large portion of Aberdeen's support travelled up from the central belt to Pittodrie for home matches?

A few surveys been done asking how Aberdeen fans travel to Pittodrie, how they would travel to Kingsford, etc.

From memory it was somewhere between 5-10% of home fans that travel by train to Pittodrie. 

It's not like Tynecastle where trains are arriving into haymarket every few minutes from all over the central belt. It's also about £60 return from the central belt to Aberdeen on a match day by train. 

Therefore Kingsford not being waking distance from a train station will likely have little impact on crowds. Especially since the AWPR essentially links Dyce and Stonehaven to Kingsford in about 15 mins anyway.

On 11/04/2019 at 17:02, craigkillie said:

The ideal football away day for me (and I suspect many others) is to jump on the train with a few cans, get to the town or city, go and grab something to eat, head to the pub, and then walk to the game, before doing the whole thing in reverse after the game. Jumping on shuttle buses for another 20 minute journey either side of the match is unappealing, particularly with the very likely prospect of having to queue for it after the game when everyone is trying to get back to the city centre at the same time.

That is fundamentally why I consider it a pretty shit prospect compared to Pittodrie.

Presuming you live in Ayrshire, you're saying you're happy to get a train to Glasgow central, walk to queen street, and then pay £40-60 return for a five hour round journey to Aberdeen, with your return followed by another train to Ayrshire.

But 20 minutes on a bus is what will be a step too far? (And that's actually replaying the 35 minute walk from station to Pittodrie).

On 11/04/2019 at 17:26, Lebowski said:

You think there's going to be public transport infrastructure set up for 20 games a season like?

I think I've said in this thread before that building it near a rail line would alleviate the transport issues and you can scale that. Expecting 20k to rock up in cars and buses with no issues seems wildly optimistic. Fucking Mcdiarmid Park at half the capacity, nearer the city, and a fifth of the crowd is a pain in the hole.

Where in Aberdeen would be near a train line? Pittodrie is about as close as you can get. Loirston was near a train line but there's even less out there than Kingsford in terms of places to eat/drink. Hearts fans were thoroughly unimpressed when they played Cove in the Betfted Cup and I imagine it'll be a pretty dour away day for fans going there next season.

Even so, there isn't actually a train station there, just a line. Would be a huge cost building a train station capable of handling thousands of fans. 

7 hours ago, Dunty said:

Presuming you live in Ayrshire, you're saying you're happy to get a train to Glasgow central, walk to queen street, and then pay £40-60 return for a five hour round journey to Aberdeen, with your return followed by another train to Ayrshire.

But 20 minutes on a bus is what will be a step too far? (And that's actually replaying the 35 minute walk from station to Pittodrie).

I live in Glasgow, and I tend to get a decent priced advance ticket. And yes, that bus is exactly what makes it more of a problem, for the exact reasons I already conveyed in my original post. A train runs to a fixed schedule, you get to sit back and relax with a few cans and it's generally a nice day out.

Buses are fundamentally a worse mode of transport than trains, and shuttle buses heading to sporting events are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain of buses. They're generally rammed full of people, you're lucky to get a seat, they tend to run to a "when we get there" schedule, and they're beholden to the stadium traffic in a way that walking or trains aren't. Before the game will likely be tolerable because everyone will be spread out in terms of when they arrive at the stadium, but after the game you're going to have a big queue of people waiting around. That "35 minute walk" (which is actually half an hour even for a slow person) means that you get back to the station well before 5:30. I reckon you might be lucky to even be on a bus by then some days.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I live in Glasgow, and I tend to get a decent priced advance ticket. And yes, that bus is exactly what makes it more of a problem, for the exact reasons I already conveyed in my original post. A train runs to a fixed schedule, you get to sit back and relax with a few cans and it's generally a nice day out.

Buses are fundamentally a worse mode of transport than trains, and shuttle buses heading to sporting events are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain of buses. They're generally rammed full of people, you're lucky to get a seat, they tend to run to a "when we get there" schedule, and they're beholden to the stadium traffic in a way that walking or trains aren't. Before the game will likely be tolerable because everyone will be spread out in terms of when they arrive at the stadium, but after the game you're going to have a big queue of people waiting around. That "35 minute walk" (which is actually half an hour even for a slow person) means that you get back to the station well before 5:30. I reckon you might be lucky to even be on a bus by then some days.

No-one was comparing buses and trains. But after a game you could be on a bus within minutes since they'll all be waiting on site, and if Aberdeen/Scotrail are switched on they could use the AWPR and have you at Dyce or Stonehaven stations within 15 minutes.

Would you prefer to walk or be straight on a train - probably. But I can't see it being that bad that it stops you from going. 

Edited by Dunty

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's a fucking miserable 30 minute walk in the rain from Pittodrie to Aberdeen train station, and is no quicker by public transport after a game.

It's hard to stress this enough, Pittodrie is a nightmare to get in and out of on game day/night. I tried to get by car to Stonehaven a few months ago after the Dundee (?) game on the Friday night and I was going mental long before I managed to reach the harbour. 

35 minutes to walk 2.3 km?! How slowly are people walking? Tbf I probably shouldn't be the control here, as I walk a lot, and pretty quickly, but 10 minutes per km is normal for me. I reckon I could fit a pint in the Scotia into a 35 minute journey on foot from Pittodrie to the train station.

35 minutes to walk 2.3 km?! How slowly are people walking? Tbf I probably shouldn't be the control here, as I walk a lot, and pretty quickly, but 10 minutes per km is normal for me. I reckon I could fit a pint in the Scotia into a 35 minute journey on foot from Pittodrie to the train station.
The Scotia! I forgot about that place, got booted out there once for being utterly away with it, can't remember even now. Went back next night with a few folk looking at me funny, never went back after that. Good pint though.

1 hour ago, resk said:

Folk never realise how long it takes them to walk somewhere until they actually time it. What feels like a 15 minute walk is often far more.

Take it from someone who is perennially late..

Folk never realise how long it takes them to walk somewhere until they actually time it. What feels like a 15 minute walk is often far more.
Take it from someone who is perennially late..

I live 15 minutes walk from Tynecastle but if hearts have lost and it’s raining it seems to take 45 minutes to get home

1 hour ago, resk said:

"A brisk walking pace is 3.0 miles per hour or about 20 minutes per mile, which is about 5 kilometers per hour or 12 minutes per kilometer,"

Add in stopping at lights, crowds, etc it's an easy 35 mins for your average rowie munching Red.

5cd890d5531f7_2019-05-1222_28_21-SportsrouteplannerUK.Runnerswalkerscyclists-mapyourroutes.thumb.jpg.41b396593b9fe7cdec40f3ac9ae34d28.jpg