The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

The difference is Scottish folk like to moan, while Germans just get on with it.

Nope - the difference is that in Germany they see football fans as an asset and not scum, like they do over here.

I went to a Hamburg game in March. Train to closest station to the stadium, as soon as you leave the station you were in a square where there were Hamburg fans drinking tinnies everywhere and getting food from many of the German sausage stands that were available. Then you walked about 5 minutes through a tunnel and onto a stadium bus, no questions asked or fares bought, and whisked away directly to the ground with no stops. Nice and easy.

In Scotland they seem to make it as difficult or as complicated as possible to get to games - and with that there is sometimes no incentive to go to games. As I’ve said before, around McDiarmid there is f**k all to do and next to no boozers.

If Aberdeen have a hope in hell of making this work, they have to get the transport right and make sure there are things to do around the new stadium - otherwise it’s going to be a miserable failure. I’m not optimistic for them in the slightest because this is Scotland and we don’t get these things right. Even MLS fans do a better job of it FFS.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Nope - the difference is that in Germany they see football fans as an asset and not scum, like they do over here.

I went to a Hamburg game in March. Train to closest station to the stadium, as soon as you leave the station you were in a square where there were Hamburg fans drinking tinnies everywhere and getting food from many of the German sausage stands that were available. Then you walked about 5 minutes through a tunnel and onto a stadium bus, no questions asked or fares bought, and whisked away directly to the ground with no stops. Nice and easy.

In Scotland they seem to make it as difficult or as complicated as possible to get to games - and with that there is sometimes no incentive to go to games. As I’ve said before, around McDiarmid there is f**k all to do and next to no boozers.

If Aberdeen have a hope in hell of making this work, they have to get the transport right and make sure there are things to do around the new stadium - otherwise it’s going to be a miserable failure. I’m not optimistic for them in the slightest because this is Scotland and we don’t get these things right. Even MLS fans do a better job of it FFS.

Yes, but German clubs get subsidised by their FA with huge payments, which allows lower ticket prices and cheap rail fares on matchday, and the vast majority had their stadiums, and transport links, upgraded for the World Cup.

German FA spent 3.7 billion euros upgrading stadiums and transport links for the World Cup... https://m.dw.com/en/germanys-world-cup-report-hails-economic-social-success/a-2263053

How are you proposing Scottish clubs match that? 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Yes, but German clubs get subsidised by their FA with huge payments, which allows lower ticket prices and cheap rail fares on matchday, and the vast majority had their stadiums, and transport links, upgraded for the World Cup.

Twelve is not a vast majority.

I think it speaks volumes that the majority of folk upvoting posts stating the location of the stadium should be in the City Centre are from fans of other clubs with no real grasp of the current location etc.

If you're to look at a map of Aberdeen, it's hardly in an ideal location as it is.

27 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think it speaks volumes that the majority of folk upvoting posts stating the location of the stadium should be in the City Centre are from fans of other clubs with no real grasp of the current location etc.

If you're to look at a map of Aberdeen, it's hardly in an ideal location as it is.

It is a lot, lot better than being six or seven miles removed from the city centre.

Everytime I look at the design of the new ground I die a little inside. Its basically a replica of the Darlington arena. Absolutely no thought has been put into the design. Spurs build a state of the art world class stadium and the best thing the third biggest team in Scotland can muster is a Scottish Darlington arena. Or Doncaster. Take your pick.

Heavy pish.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:06, Merkland Red said:

Aye, the campaigners went to all that expense to block a development that's nowhere near walking distance to their homes. You're stating it's nowhere near walking distance when the lad I've quoted below you states his pals walked from Holburn Street to Pittodrie.

The new stadium is literally almost on the bypass. It's going to take me less time to drive there than it does Pittodrie and I'm a 12 minute drive at worst to Pittodrie on a non match day. If I leave bang on the final whistle I am lucky to be home for 1745.

Again, there's park and ride a very short distance to the stadium...which is on a bypass.

You've looked at a map and made a decision without taking in to effect any mitigating factors.

King Street and the surround has thrown up some student accommodation over the years. Holburn to Pittodrie is a decent walk!

I occasionally walked from thr Bridge of Dee to Pittodrie.

18 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

It is a lot, lot better than being six or seven miles removed from the city centre.

So you've said, countless times.

It's a half hour walk from the city centre if you want to be arsey about it though.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Everytime I look at the design of the new ground I die a little inside. Its basically a replica of the Darlington arena. Absolutely no thought has been put into the design. Spurs build a state of the art world class stadium and the best thing the third biggest team in Scotland can muster is a Scottish Darlington arena. Or Doncaster. Take your pick.

Heavy pish.

I wonder why that is?

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I occasionally walked from thr Bridge of Dee to Pittodrie.

If you're willing to make that walk rather than drive or get the bus then it pretty much highlights the state of the traffic in the City Centre on matchday at Pittodrie.

Either that or you are a maniac.

I used to walk from Murdos and that was bad enough.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

How do they? McDiarmid Park is a 15 minute bus from the centre. If you find that enormously complicated or can't go that long without a drink pre-match then that's very much your problem.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Heavy pish.

Yes I can't think why they didn't want to match a stadium that cost a billion to build.

Some of the complaints on here are valid but so much hysterical bed wetting nonsense. Fucking retractable roofs, get a grip. :lol:

Just now, Merkland Red said:

If you're willing to make that walk rather than drive or get the bus then it pretty much highlights the state of the traffic in the City Centre on matchday at Pittodrie.

Either that or you are a maniac.

I used to walk from Murdos and that was bad enough.

I'm talking 40 odd years ago. And I didn't do it every fortnight!

I often used to walk to and from school (RGC) from the Bridge of Dee as well.

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

How do they? McDiarmid Park is a 15 minute bus from the centre. If you find that enormously complicated or can't go that long without a drink pre-match then that's very much your problem.

Yes I can't think why they didn't want to match a stadium that cost a billion to build.

Some of the complaints on here are valid but so much hysterical bed wetting nonsense. Fucking retractable roofs, get a grip. :lol:

I couldn't really care about the design as long as there is 4 filled in corners that stop the fucking wind getting in. The Livi game a few weeks ago was atrocious and fucking freezing.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm talking 40 odd years ago. And I didn't do it every fortnight!

I often used to walk to and from school (RGC) from the Bridge of Dee as well.

I thought you were a young whippersnapper min!

35 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's a half hour walk from the city centre if you want to be arsey about it though.

I wonder why that is?

You either don't know Aberdeen yerself, or you're not in the habit of walking anywhere. The new site is about 4 miles from the city centre, which is around an hour and a half walk for any normal pedestrian.

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

You either don't know Aberdeen yerself, or you're not in the habit of walking anywhere. The new site is about 4 miles from the city centre, which is around an hour and a half walk for any normal pedestrian.

And how would any normal pedestrian get to the City centre?

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

M4.png.565b25cc2a08b8646d522ecf737ea95a.png

Here's what a half hour walk to Kingsford from the east looks like.

5caf1772eb63a_HalfanHour.thumb.png.0f3d331768f4b6e2f3623c9c693424ca.png

Here's how long the walk from the city centre to Kingsford is.

5caf178fd3bd7_CityCentre.thumb.png.08332716d786280676c9ab9c79d482e8.png

And just to really compound your stupidity, here's how far away from the city centre 'just as out of the way as Kingsford' Pittodrie is.

Pittodrie.thumb.png.35a1b28bb2e6f9b0eb236a7d4363c53a.png

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

M4.png.565b25cc2a08b8646d522ecf737ea95a.png

Here's what a half hour walk to Kingsford from the east looks like.

5caf1772eb63a_HalfanHour.thumb.png.0f3d331768f4b6e2f3623c9c693424ca.png

Here's how long the walk from the city centre to Kingsford is.

5caf178fd3bd7_CityCentre.thumb.png.08332716d786280676c9ab9c79d482e8.png

And just to really compound your stupidity, here's how far away from the city centre 'just as out of the way as Kingsford' Pittodrie is.

Pittodrie.thumb.png.35a1b28bb2e6f9b0eb236a7d4363c53a.png

I'm stupid yet you keep deciding that everyone will travel to Kingsford from the city centre?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm stupid yet you keep deciding that everyone will travel to Kingsford from the city centre?

Is Kingsford a half hour walk from the city centre like you tried to claim it was, or were you comprehensively talking utter shite?

Even Milne didn't have the balls to try and pass that lie off.  M5.png.b389c39a707cbeac19ef59063f2466e2.png