The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Cumdog35 said:

Aberdeen don't need a 20k stadium.

Hibs don't need a 19K stadium. How often have you filled it...once ?

At least Aberdeen have a decent history of sell-out crowds. At least one that can be pictured in colour, unlike yours.

If I were to meet an Albion Rovers fan, I would discuss football with him/her and ask how happy they were with the squad and their aspirations for the season ahead.

How many fans they have in attendance at a home/away game is of zero interest to me.

I've long suspected that the people who support genuinely small clubs like Albion Rovers and the shire actually have more fun than the rest of us.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hibs don't need a 19K stadium. How often have you filled it...once ?

At least Aberdeen have a decent history of sell-out crowds. At least one that can be pictured in colour, unlike yours.

we've filled it on numerous occassions m8. i imagine it'll be full when Aberdeen come calling twice, Hearts twice, Rangers and Celtic. Not to mention 17k against partick and around the same tomorrow.Meanwhile in Aberdeen you've finished 2nd the last few years but your crowds are going down :lol:  Unlucks 

7 minutes ago, Dudu Dahan pal said:

we've filled it on numerous occassions m8. i imagine it'll be full when Aberdeen come calling twice, Hearts twice, Rangers and Celtic. Not to mention 17k against partick and around the same tomorrow.Meanwhile in Aberdeen you've finished 2nd the last few years but your crowds are going down :lol:  Unlucks 

What a tedious bore you are. 

Why not start a crowd w**k thread and keep posts like this there?

Would just like to put an end to this myth that Aberdeen "don't need" 20,000 seats.

Only two weeks ago or so they had just shy of 20k for the Apollon Limmaol match. They also had sell out crowds for matches against Celtic and Rangers in previous seasons. Anyone who is suggesting they only need 17,000 odd seats is either a complete fanny or a shite troll.

Aberdeen clearly have a huge fan base, the League Cup final proves that. The club should be aiming be aiming to tap into that fan base, build support and show some ambition. Reducing the capacity is a negative move. Personally I would have liked to have seen Aberdeen go for a 25,000 seater and simply close areas of the ground and pack people closer together to improve the atmosphere on lesser games.

Edited by jamamafegan

Do people not understand how an arithmetic mean is calculated? Just because we don't sell out every week doesn't mean we can't sell out for big games. 20k is probably perfect, because we can sell it out 5-6 times a season. No team in the fuckin world sells out every single game, that's why there are "big" games and wee games. 

I do enjoy this fantasy that people on online forums have, that every fan of the club is just like them. People go to the football for so many different reasons, not just a "passion" for the club.

12 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Would just like to put an end to this myth that Aberdeen "don't need" 20,000 seats.

Only two weeks ago or so they had just shy of 20k for the Apollon Limmaol match. They also had sell out crowds for matches against Celtic and Rangers in previous seasons. Anyone who is suggesting they only need 17,000 odd seats is either a complete fanny or a shite troll.

Aberdeen clearly have a huge fan base, the League Cup final proves that. The club should be aiming be aiming to tap into that fan base, build support and show some ambition. Reducing the capacity is a negative move. Personally I would have liked to have seen Aberdeen go for a 25,000 seater and simply close areas of the ground and pack people closer together to improve the atmosphere on lesser games.

I was one of those who said I'd rather have 16,000/17,000 at Pittodrie rather than move to the back of beyond and I'm an Aberdeen fan. I don't dispute we probably need 20,000 now and again, clubs should always have some spare capacity for big games. However, I really don't want to move out of the city, it doesn't have to be staying at Pittodrie but the move to Kingsford just looks awful to me and I live in Dyce, it will actually be a piece of cake for me to get there when the AWPR opens.

I do not particularly want to roll up to the ground, go to the game and then go home. I like pre and post game drinks and blether with friends and being in the town makes that possible. Moving to Kingsford makes it pretty unlikely unless I want to spend an hour of my day sitting on a fucking bus.

So, yes, I would rather a 17,000 seater in the city than a 20,000 in the sticks even if it means some folks will miss out on a big game or 5 (of course cutting the OF(d) allocation to about 800 would help a bit...).

Sorry

I think 20,000 is bang on for Aberdeen. As Russell says, 5-6 sell outs a season, an average at about 65% of capacity gives scope for fan base to grow. Could even cut away allocation if required.

This idea of building 25k or more is crap. Great for the part-timers who will come along in boom times or for big games, but the most important thing should always be the experience for regular supporters.  Sitting in a half empty stadium is pretty pish for atmosphere usually, so their experience shouldn't suffer just to keep a few thousand twice a season fans happy.

If some folk miss out on big games, then fine, it might mean they decide to buy a season ticket/ come to a few lesser games to increase their chances of getting a big game ticket.

ETA - hadn't seen your post when I wrote this Ed.

Edited by PauloPerth

10 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

I was one of those who said I'd rather have 16,000/17,000 at Pittodrie rather than move to the back of beyond and I'm an Aberdeen fan. I don't dispute we probably need 20,000 now and again, clubs should always have some spare capacity for big games. However, I really don't want to move out of the city, it doesn't have to be staying at Pittodrie but the move to Kingsford just looks awful to me and I live in Dyce, it will actually be a piece of cake for me to get there when the AWPR opens.

I do not particularly want to roll up to the ground, go to the game and then go home. I like pre and post game drinks and blether with friends and being in the town makes that possible. Moving to Kingsford makes it pretty unlikely unless I want to spend an hour of my day sitting on a fucking bus.

So, yes, I would rather a 17,000 seater in the city than a 20,000 in the sticks even if it means some folks will miss out on a big game or 5 (of course cutting the OF(d) allocation to about 800 would help a bit...).

Sorry

The problem is that a 17k Pittodrie isn't on the table. 

Everyone would prefer a city-centre location, but I think the attendances thing is a bit of a red herring. When we're good people will go, when we're crap they won't, which is no different to now (look at clubs like Bolton, Reading and Oxford as a comparison). I just don't believe that we pick up any 'passing trade' as a result of being based at Pittodrie (at least not any significant numbers). I suppose you might lose a few people like me (Aberdeen Uni students who went out of curiosity), but how many people like that are there? I also always assumed that, unless you walked there, Pittodrie was already a nightmare to get to/from already.

I go to quite a few rugby matches and they make the whole experience much more pleasant for supporters. At the bigger clubs you know there are going to be decent food stalls/stuff for kids to do around the ground, so you're encouraged to get there early and enjoy the day. And most English rugby clubs get crowds pretty similar to Aberdeen, so it's not like comparing apples with oranges.

22 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Buses will pick up from across the city centre, 2 park and rides and also private supporters buses from pubs and further afield. AWPR being two minutes from the site will help massively, it wouldn't be built there if it wasn't for that.

I am sure when the planners were looking at the AWPR it was to reduce the traffic through the city.  Now ACC appear to want to encourage everyone to move out to beside the AWPR and thus increasing city traffic.  I for one look forward to the day that I am driving to Edinburgh and get caught up with traffic holdups on the AWPR due to Aberdeen playing Dundee or some aging rock band from the 70s putting on a show at the new AECC.

There is absolutely no point in Aberdeen moving out of the city - is the site of the current AECC not available?

Edited by strichener

I think we've got a solid core of 10k or so who would go, even if we go back to the bottom end of the table as we have done for 5 year spells or so. 15-20k seems to be what we roughly get when the going is good, so 20k capacity is probably about right. 

I know a lot of fans have the pint or 2 before the game and then hit the pub after (I personally just go to the game and go home unless it's a Friday night so that doesn't factor in for my match day experience) and hopefully the bar the club builds on site will be big enough to cater for most. I also hope the club keeps the bar open after games and lays on buses into town every hour or so until it does close so folk can still have a few drinks. I'll be stunned if places like the Pittodrie Bar don't lay on buses to Kingsford if this happens so I'd expect for many, other than spending half an hour or so on a bus going to and from, the current experience won't be a million miles from what it is now.

As I've said before, I don't think there are any realistic options for getting a new ground in the city unless we could get the training complex done out the road with the stadium at the present AECC (assuming you count that as being in the city). Unfortunately the ship has almost definitely sailed on the opportunity to redevelop at Pittodrie, Milne should have sorted that out when the old gas works were up for sale and has f**ked our hopes of staying where we are by not doing so. 

14 minutes ago, Captain_Imra7 said:

I think we've got a solid core of 10k or so who would go, even if we go back to the bottom end of the table as we have done for 5 year spells or so. 15-20k seems to be what we roughly get when the going is good, so 20k capacity is probably about right. 

I know a lot of fans have the pint or 2 before the game and then hit the pub after (I personally just go to the game and go home unless it's a Friday night so that doesn't factor in for my match day experience) and hopefully the bar the club builds on site will be big enough to cater for most. I also hope the club keeps the bar open after games and lays on buses into town every hour or so until it does close so folk can still have a few drinks. I'll be stunned if places like the Pittodrie Bar don't lay on buses to Kingsford if this happens so I'd expect for many, other than spending half an hour or so on a bus going to and from, the current experience won't be a million miles from what it is now.

As I've said before, I don't think there are any realistic options for getting a new ground in the city unless we could get the training complex done out the road with the stadium at the present AECC (assuming you count that as being in the city). Unfortunately the ship has almost definitely sailed on the opportunity to redevelop at Pittodrie, Milne should have sorted that out when the old gas works were up for sale and has f**ked our hopes of staying where we are by not doing so. 

If the game was particularly boring it used to be more interesting watching the gasometer go up and down...