The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Just now, glasgow-sheep said:

It is miles from town but your photo is disingenuous. It is much closer to westhill, opposite the Garlogie turn off e5915ec4d787b7c7605a0aa797f84ac8.jpg

I work in Westhill so I know exactly how far it is and how little there is in Westhill. You ever been to The Shepherd's Rest or The Broadstraik? The clientelle will be delighted to have Dons fans turn up.

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

I work in Westhill so I know exactly how far it is and how little there is in Westhill. You ever been to The Shepherd's Rest or The Broadstraik? The clientelle will be delighted to have Dons fans turn up.

Still your initial photo was misleading.  Don't necessarily disagree but at least get the location correct

Google says 10min walk to the nearest pub though.

Is that the Shepherd's Rest? It's a Brewer's Fare type restaurant and the Broadstraik is similar but independent I think, i.e. booths, no standing at the bar type of thing. The walk is along a dual carriageway and the Rest is in an industrial estate. 10 minutes seems conservative TBH

Still your initial photo was misleading.  Don't necessarily disagree but at least get the location correct

I would dispute that. There really is nothing there but farmland, both sides of the dual carriageway.  Walking to Westhill  isn’t like walking from the Pittodrie Bar or Scotia or The Bobbin along King Street with thousands of other Dandies, it is walking on a grass verge alongside a busy dual carriageway.

Given the massive public interest in this application I fully expect Aberdeen City Council to fill their breeks, bottle making a decision and send it to a public inquiry.

Pre-matcher in the Costco cafe, baked tattie and refillable Coca-Cola. Free samples of chicken nuggets and seafood platter on the floor. Then get a carry-out wholesale 6-pack of vodka for the trek up the dual carriageway. Canna wait. 

I always thought Westhill was quite big, no?

Edited by RussellAnderson

According to google, it's 10 minutes from The Bobbin to Pittodrie.

It's 20 minutes from 6 degrees north

25 minutes from The Shepherd's Rest to Kingsford. 43 minutes from The Broadstraik.

Of course the club would prefer you to be drinking in the stadium bar because it's more cash for them. I'm not too happy about moving out of Aberdeen but I don't think there is any other option. They obviously don't want to stay at Pittodrie. 

Edited by Suspect Device

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

Pre-matcher in the Costco cafe, baked tattie and refillable Coca-Cola. Free samples of chicken nuggets and seafood platter on the floor. Then get a carry-out wholesale 6-pack of vodka for the trek up the dual carriageway. Canna wait. 

I always thought Westhill was quite big, no?

I like your positivity.

It's quite a big town as in a lot of houses and very spread out (no high rises here, what?). Lot of trees too... The only actual pubs I can think of is the public bar of the Holiday Inn and Key West in the shopping centre, neither of which are very big and not so handy for walking (in 5 minutes, my arse) to Kingsford.

11 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

I like your positivity.

It's quite a big town as in a lot of houses and very spread out (no high rises here, what?). Lot of trees too... The only actual pubs I can think of is the public bar of the Holiday Inn and Key West in the shopping centre, neither of which are very big and not so handy for walking (in 5 minutes, my arse) to Kingsford.

It highlights the shitey public transport we have in suburban Aberdeen that growing up 10 minutes away by car (Culter) and having loads of pals from Westhill, I basically never went there. Easier and quicker to meet up in town, by bus anyway. 

Even the Pittodrie bar is 1 0minute from Pittodrie. The Red Lion (assuming it's still open) is 13 minutes.

All from Google.

Never drunk in The Shepherd's Rest but I've had a meal in The Broadstraik. OK for food but not my kind of pub. I reckon I'd be hoping the stadium bar is decent with good beer and easy enough to get served. I did specifically tell them on my response NO FUCKING CARLING!

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Given the massive public interest in this application I fully expect Aberdeen City Council to fill their breeks, bottle making a decision and send it to a public inquiry.

I hope they call a referendum, it would win by a landslide 

Even the Pittodrie bar is 1 0minute from Pittodrie. The Red Lion (assuming it's still open) is 13 minutes.

All from Google.

Never drunk in The Shepherd's Rest but I've had a meal in The Broadstraik. OK for food but not my kind of pub. I reckon I'd be hoping the stadium bar is decent with good beer and easy enough to get served. I did specifically tell them on my response NO FUCKING CARLING!

It's a strange pub tbh. The lounge bit beside the bar is very strange. Has no soul to it. I don't mind the bar you're faced with when you first come in the doors though.

According to google, it's 10 minutes from The Bobbin to Pittodrie.
It's 20 minutes from 6 degrees north
25 minutes from The Shepherd's Rest to Kingsford. 43 minutes from The Broadstraik.
Of course the club would prefer you to be drinking in the stadium bar because it's more cash for them. I'm not too happy about moving out of Aberdeen but I don't think there is any other option. They obviously don't want to stay at Pittodrie. 

The Shepherd's Rest is 12 minutes from the stadium site according to google maps.

There was a pretty good pop-up bar outside the railway station/Union Square at Christmas. A few of them scattered around the giant concrete box would be quite good...although unlikely, probably against the beliefs of some lefty councilor with a grievance against anyone enjoying themselves

5 hours ago, Bambino7 said:

Fair enough but there's no second force in the country.  Why was there at least no investment made in the University sports facilities in Aberdeen? 

I'm sure they did try to do a joint project with the Aberdeen Uni up at the Balgownie playing fields, but it was decided that they couldn't accommodate what the university wanted and what the club wanted in the same scheme.