The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Just now, TAJ said:

Given that a lot of fans already complain about the cost of tickets/ food and drink/travel to & from stadiums, will this new plan reduce costs for the fans?

Ha Ha good 'een. You understand Stewarty is an Aberdonian/North Easter, right?

When I read about aspirations of "matchday experience", "fanzones" and "spending the day at the Stadium" in the context of an out of town new build in North-east Scotland during our season - I imagine a bunch of folk huddled in a freezing marquee drinking over-priced, shite lager out of Flimz-o-cheap© plastic glasses while the rain that soaked them on the walk from the distant bus park chills them to hypothermic levels. There's also probably a guy from hospital radio building the atmosphere by playing Status Quo records and bored kids with shite facepaint administered by a grumpy woman commandeered from the ticket office.

If Aberdeen (or any Scottish club) could make an out of town ground a place that you'd want to spend a single extra minute, they'd (a) be the first and (b) get my custom no problems..

4 minutes ago, TAJ said:

Given that a lot of fans already complain about the cost of tickets/ food and drink/travel to & from stadiums, will this new plan reduce costs for the fans?

I'm sure that some of the latest documentation associated with the application mentioned that your match ticket will include travel on the buses to / from the stadium.

23 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aberdeen doesn't really do leaving-large-swathes-of-the-city-undeveloped though. We're not a post-industrial wasteland (yet).

There's nothing near the proposed stadium and large parts of Aberdeen are fucking horrible.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Given that lots of the support already comes from the 'shire rather than the city, this may be an improvement rather than a hinderance.

Stick P&R's and the new shuttles in the right place and the new stadium will be much easier for those outside the city to get to than Pittodrie.

I'm happy enough to move the ground out of the city. Aberdeen is full of moaning, miserable f*ckers who either support the OF or Barcelona or have no interest in fitba at all. On a match day, ootside a few areas of the city centre and King Street, you would have no idea at all that there was a game on in the city. You'd see more Dons tops in Stonehaven or Inverurie that you will in the city.

These feckers have had their chance to go every week and support their local side, but most of them don't. Aberdeen is expanding outwards....in 15 years time Westhill and Skene and Kingswells will all be joined up with the city anyway, and maybe if we build a stadium in the suburbs then kids growing up there WILL go and support their local team.

#weareallaurora

14 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'm sure that some of the latest documentation associated with the application mentioned that your match ticket will include travel on the buses to / from the stadium.

But that won't necessarily reduce costs for the fans.

If anything, to recover the money needed for the buses, the cost of the match ticket would have to rise.

Edited by TAJ
atroshus spellen

It might be fine for away fans coming by car or supporters bus (although many of the out of town grounds around the UK built near motorways and bypasses can't cope with the traffic and even somewhere like McDiarmid is rubbish if you follow the signage rather than going your own route) but it isn't ideal for those who come by train or who drop their better halves at the shops or who want a few drinks in town - are home and away fans going to be able to get the same buses etc? I'm all for new grounds and the addition of a cafe and bar are welcome but I'm not convinced this will go ahead anyway.

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

There's nothing near the proposed stadium and large parts of Aberdeen are fucking horrible.

Aye horrible, but inhabited and busy and not derelict and ready to be knocked down. Maybe in 10-15 years when the oil has dried up a better site will come along. It's an end of the night down Institute scenario, where there are only ugly girls left. Do you pick one and take them home, and hope she looks good from behind, or hang about in case a stunner walks in, risking being left with hee haw at the end. 

If we don't go for Aurora, we could end up with f**k all going forward.

8 minutes ago, TAJ said:

But that won't necessarily reduce costs for the fans.

If anything, to recover the money needed for the buses, the cost of the match ticket would have to rise.

You'd imagine so. 

Out of town stadiums are pish but there's a reason why clubs build them and that's largely down to lack of space for whatever "vision" it is they have. There are very few sites in the city for this proposed development unless they split up the training facilities from the stadium but even then they might struggle.

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It might be fine for away fans coming by car or supporters bus (although many of the out of town grounds around the UK built near motorways and bypasses can't cope with the traffic and even somewhere like McDiarmid is rubbish if you follow the signage rather than going your own route) but it isn't ideal for those who come by train or who drop their better halves at the shops or who want a few drinks in town - are home and away fans going to be able to get the same buses etc? I'm all for new grounds and the addition of a cafe and bar are welcome but I'm not convinced this will go ahead anyway.

£2.50 for a doughnut and £5 for a coffee :o

2 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye horrible, but inhabited and busy and not derelict and ready to be knocked down. Maybe in 10-15 years when the oil has dried up a better site will come along. It's an end of the night down Institute scenario, where there are only ugly girls left. Do you pick one and take them home, and hope she looks good from behind, or hang about in case a stunner walks in, risking being left with hee haw at the end. 

If we don't go for Aurora, we could end up with f**k all going forward.

There must be somewhere near Portlethen and/or Dyce where there are proper transport connections?

19 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:
There is NOTHING near the proposed stadium, people mean it when they say middle of nowhere.
2pt1idf.png

It is miles from town but your photo is disingenuous. It is much closer to westhill, opposite the Garlogie turn off

e5915ec4d787b7c7605a0aa797f84ac8.jpg

Edited by glasgow-sheep

Just now, shootingboots said:

:lol:

There's a fucking town with 15,000 in it just to the left FFS. Less than 5 minutes walk away. 

You should be in the Olympics if you can do 1.5 miles (minimum) in 5 minutes walking and there is f**k all in Westhill (pop 11,500 btw)