The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

4 hours ago, Dunty said:

That will likely be because there isn't a big team in Scotland that has moved stadium in the last 20 years.

I didn't see where the criteria specified 'big teams', nor what that actually means.

23 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

With all due respect to both clubs I’m not convinced that Juventus and Aberdeen situations are sufficiently similar clubs to draw meaningful lessons from one to the other

Is that because Juventus dont call themselves "famous"?

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

Crazy all this farting about with the council,who quite clearly can't be trusted while all the time planning permission is already in place for a 20,000 seater on the West Side of the city and by all accounts a cheaper build,albeit in a position geographically not as suitable to Don's fans.

AFC now got to think what's the best bet in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

What are the basic reasons a stadium at the beach is estimated to cost £80-90M while Kingsford is £50M? Is it entirely geographic with it being a more difficult location to build on?

I was wondering this myself. Possibly to do with the cost of the land if the beach is a more lucrative space?

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Crazy all this farting about with the council,who quite clearly can't be trusted while all the time planning permission is already in place for a 20,000 seater on the West Side of the city and by all accounts a cheaper build,albeit in a position geographically not as suitable to Don's fans.

AFC now got to think what's the best bet in the long run.

It's not really crazy. The club don't have the money to build the stadium. Planning permission isn't worth a whole lot if you don't have the money to build anything.

55 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

What are the basic reasons a stadium at the beach is estimated to cost £80-90M while Kingsford is £50M? Is it entirely geographic with it being a more difficult location to build on?

I think Dave has used the most recently published estimates for each to make a point to the council or for the benefit of the club’s negotiating position. 

I don’t think that the two figures are comparable in good faith. 

Kingsford was at £50m in 2019 and informally at £50-60m in late 2021. So probably more like £60-70m now.

I used to have the old feasibility study from about 15/20 years ago (lost it serveral PCs ago).  But I recall back then, there was a note that basically said, that building nearer the beach (certainly nearer than Kingswells that is), opened up a risk of requiring significantly more substantial foundations than building 'inland'.

Whether that accounts for the differences in the numbers being bandied about, I don't know.  I might over Xmas take the chance to look at the latest proposals. 

Cards on the table, I do have a worry that oor Dave's ambition and how realistic it is and how much risk he's willing to burden the club with.   

Yours, hemmin sit-doon! 😉

aDONis

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The foundations are a big extra cost because it's a lot closer to the sea. It was quoted at £6m extra 10 years ago, so imagine it's probably doubled now.

Also, the fact the council want the beach stadium to be a community stadium suggests loads of extra facilities being built into it.

It says the stadium will cost £60m, extras (design fees, insurance etc) will bring it up to £74m, and "optimism bias" could make it as much as £92m.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's not really crazy. The club don't have the money to build the stadium. Planning permission isn't worth a whole lot if you don't have the money to build anything.

Yep no enough money,no stadium VG.                                                           

Whatever way AFC go there will be a bit juggling to be done,the sale of Pittodrie,further negotiations with the council and possibly other investors before a decision is made on where they end up.

With something this significant and with it being in Aberdeen,as all in the city and aberdeenshire know, it probably won't be resolved anytime soon.........

Edited by Dav nan Gael

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What about St Mirren, Falkirk, Cove, Hamilton, Clyde, Aidrie, Edinburgh, Stirling, East Fife and Dumbarton?

St Mirren

Final SPL season at Love Street: 4,537
Last Covid-unaffected season at St Mirren Park (in Premiership): 5,436

(Although they've bumbled around 4,500)

Falkirk

Last First Division season at Brockville: 2,631
Last covid-unaffected season at Grangemouth (also in 2nd tier): 4,742

Then you have Clyde which have dropped from over 2k average to 700 and moved again, Airdrie who died.

FC Edinburgh wasn't a move though, just a rebuild.