The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Unless Davey C pays for the lot it’s never going to happen 

And Dave is pretty generous when it comes to the dandies but I canna see him forking up £80 million 

I’d rather we reconciled the fact we are staying at Pittodrie and focus our efforts on modernising the stadium 

They’ve been speaking about a new Aberdeen stadium since Scotland’s Euro 2008 hosting bid ffs

Sick of hearing sound bytes about this pipedream tbh 

16 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

If the beach is no longer an option then we should be looking at redeveloping Pittodrie one stand at a time over several years.

I don’t buy any of the “European games in Dundee” “12k max capacity” crap that Milne was feeding us.

Then we end up with a shiny but still shit stadium like Hibs. Cant imagine it will increase turnover much because the seats are shiny. 

17 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Unless Davey C pays for the lot it’s never going to happen 

And Dave is pretty generous when it comes to the dandies but I canna see him forking up £80 million 

I’d rather we reconciled the fact we are staying at Pittodrie and focus our efforts on modernising the stadium 

They’ve been speaking about a new Aberdeen stadium since Scotland’s Euro 2008 hosting bid ffs

Sick of hearing sound bytes about this pipedream tbh 

Thin we would manage to get alot funded through grants and investors. the biggest problem I see is that it wont cost 80m by time its built it will probably double that. Makes it even less likely.

11 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Then we end up with a shiny but still shit stadium like Hibs. Cant imagine it will increase turnover much because the seats are shiny. 

Thin we would manage to get alot funded through grants and investors. the biggest problem I see is that it wont cost 80m by time its built it will probably double that. Makes it even less likely.

What grants would you get that would pay for even a fraction of it?

Never understood why there is a fantastic brand new conference facility miles out of town only accessible by corporation bus and why nobody thought to look at these things together.

I like going to Aberdeen. Regardless of the result, the trips up there are usually among the highlights of a season and me and my mates normally make a weekend of it.

An out-of-town stadium would probably not knock the Aberdeen weekends on the head, but it's very likely we'd just not bother our arses going to the actual game. f**k that.

3 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

But the model for the new stadium was just a dull all seater load of shite, so shiny seats. How would that increase revenue? Why do folk in charge of things in football continually ignore what fans want?

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I like going to Aberdeen. Regardless of the result, the trips up there are usually among the highlights of a season and me and my mates normally make a weekend of it.

An out-of-town stadium would probably not knock the Aberdeen weekends on the head, but it's very likely we'd just not bother our arses going to the actual game. f**k that.

Interested to know why an ‘out-of-town’ stadium would bother you so much you wouldn’t want to go and watch your team?

5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Interested to know why an ‘out-of-town’ stadium would bother you so much you wouldn’t want to go and watch your team?

It'll be maybe a one-hour round trip from the centre to an area with nothing really there to pay thirty-odd quid to watch the Scottish Premiership?

Not interrupting a good weekend away for that. I think there'll be Aberdeen fans who come to a similar conclusion.

5 hours ago, betting competition said:

No surprises.

Hopefully can still get the land for it although now it will be owned by Aberdeen FC than the council

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen-aberdeenshire/5131300/new-aberdeen-fc-stadium/

Unless anyone is a subscriber to the P&J, that article can’t be read.

But the model for the new stadium was just a dull all seater load of shite, so shiny seats. How would that increase revenue? Why do folk in charge of things in football continually ignore what fans want?

The club have planned to include a standing area for years, which would be more suitable than the standing area with seats that they implemented at Pittodrie. Cormack has consistently said that they’re looking to spend a bit more to have better facilities which would generate more income.

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Typical ACC.

It really is 

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but you’d think the council would say something like “we’ll put, say, £15 million towards it and we would like x, y, z”

The short sightedness consistently shown by c***s like Ian Yuill really do sum us up as a city in the last 30 years 

Aberdeen still has so much potential but we drag our feet on absolutely everything 

Edited by Frank Grimes

9 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It'll be maybe a one-hour round trip from the centre to an area with nothing really there to pay thirty-odd quid to watch the Scottish Premiership?

Not interrupting a good weekend away for that. I think there'll be Aberdeen fans who come to a similar conclusion.

I regularly travel a three hour round trip so to me location doesn’t hugely matter 

I regularly travel a three hour round trip so to me location doesn’t hugely matter 

It's not really the distance so much as the inconvenience and mode of travel. At the moment for Pittodrie you jump on a train and walk to the ground. The idea of adding some sort of shuttle bus or similar shite is more than enough to put people off.

4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

It really is 

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but you’d think the council would say something like “we’ll put, say, £15 million towards it and we would like x, y, z”

The short sightedness consistently shown by c***s like Ian Yuill really do sum us up as a city in the last 30 years 

Aberdeen still has so much potential but we drag our feet on absolutely everything 

It's quite possible that such discussions have unofficially taken place. In fact, I'd be amazed if they haven't.

Finding something both parties will agree to doesn't necessarily follow. The council may have - pure speculation here - wanted an ongoing cut of ticket/corporate revenue for X numbers of years, for example, in return for their funding. But if Aberdeen think that might hold them back in terms of competing on the pitch for that duration, then it's in the bin.

In the current UK economic climate, asking the council for major funding for a stadium was always a long-shot. It could only come with major strings attached, which Aberdeen would probably be quite sensible to reject.

Hugely short-sighted from ACC who have missed out on a fantastic opportunity to help create something brilliant for the city. What now for Aberdeen FC? I fear the Kingsford plans will rear its ugly head once again. Redevelop Pittodrie? I highly doubt Cormack will pursue that idea, it will likely be too expensive and I'd imagine Cormack will be determined to get Aberdeen into a new, state of the art stadium instead of trying to polish up a beaten up old ground and dealing with the restrictions that will come with that.

One good thing to come from this is that it will put the ludicrous idea of building a 16,000 - 18,000 capacity stadium on hold. Maybe in time the Aberdeen board will see some sense.

Hugely short-sighted from ACC who have missed out on a fantastic opportunity to help create something brilliant for the city. What now for Aberdeen FC? I fear the Kingsford plans will rear its ugly head once again. Redevelop Pittodrie? I highly doubt Cormack will pursue that idea, it will likely be too expensive and I'd imagine Cormack will be determined to get Aberdeen into a new, state of the art stadium instead of trying to polish up a beaten up old ground and dealing with the restrictions that will come with that.
One good thing to come from this is that it will put the ludicrous idea of building a 16,000 - 18,000 capacity stadium on hold. Maybe in time the Aberdeen board will see some sense.

With the stadium already costing too much, who’s going to pay for the additional millions of pounds to add extra seating capacity?

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

With the stadium already costing too much, who’s going to pay for the additional millions of pounds to add extra seating capacity?

No1 has a clue how much we can raise, im pretty sure the club are confident of sourcing a substantial sum or why even bother. People said the same about the training ground and its bought and paid for. Its the cost going up year on year thats the main concern for me. Say its 80m at present and we do actually get in built and opened in 5 years time, its probably going to be double that cost the way things are going. We need to actually get plans finalised so we can actually see if we can fund it. At this stage we seem a million miles off that 20 plus years on.