The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

8 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Yes, there is a footpath. That's not the problem, folk will have to go in single file if there are many using it. Step off the footpath and you are on the dual carriageway. 

I only commented on the traffic when the road was busy, between 1530 and 1800. OK, not a Saturday, but nowhere near the amount of traffic going to or worse coming from a football game.

Unfortunately, the bypass was already built before the decision to go ahead with the stadium was given. Had it been possible to take the stadium into consideration the whole design of the roads would have been different

The point about the footpath was for Tibbermoresaint who wasn't aware of what was already in place. Although if you're trying to argue it will be single file, how wide do you think people are? Not that I'm saying it would be all perfect but you would get four abreast at a guess. 

For the traffic, it's a genuine question. I see lots of people talking about the bad traffic there but as someone who uses that road for on average five return trips a week, mostly at rush hour of 8am and 6pm I don't see it. I just wanted to ask why you used Thursday for your example - if it was that bad surely it would be almost every day. 

I don't know numbers but I assumed rush hour work commuters would outnumber cars for the football. Happy to be proven wrong though since it was just an assumption. 

I'm expecting traffic to be bad but as someone who parks right at Pittodrie, traffic is diabolical there and I can't see how somewhere with wider, faster roads won't be better than King Street. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

For any home game, Saturday or midweek, the traffic is solid from Pittodrie to the traffic lights at the River Dee end of Market Street. Anyone in a car or in a supporter's bus trying head south can take well over an hour to get out of the city.

Surely decent traffic management at the new stadium should guarantee that you'll be on the by-pass and moving within an hour ? 

After the initial busy traffic when the AWPR first opened, I am now getting from Westhill to Kingswells at about 17:30 quicker than I was before. The queue at the Prime 4 lights seems to have reduced.

Edited by KingswellsRed

20 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

After the initial busy traffic when the AWPR first opened, I am now getting from Westhill to Kingswells at about 17:30 quicker than I was before. The queue at the Prime 4 lights seems to have reduced.

You are correct about the traffic at Kingswells, problem is the traffic from Kingswells to Kingsford roundabout mainly caused by vehicles coming from the North ( Dyce) to Westhill,  Banchory etc. They get onto the roundabout holding up traffic from Kingswells.

1 hour ago, donmoanin said:

The point about the footpath was for Tibbermoresaint who wasn't aware of what was already in place. Although if you're trying to argue it will be single file, how wide do you think people are? Not that I'm saying it would be all perfect but you would get four abreast at a guess. 

For the traffic, it's a genuine question. I see lots of people talking about the bad traffic there but as someone who uses that road for on average five return trips a week, mostly at rush hour of 8am and 6pm I don't see it. I just wanted to ask why you used Thursday for your example - if it was that bad surely it would be almost every day. 

I don't know numbers but I assumed rush hour work commuters would outnumber cars for the football. Happy to be proven wrong though since it was just an assumption. 

I'm expecting traffic to be bad but as someone who parks right at Pittodrie, traffic is diabolical there and I can't see how somewhere with wider, faster roads won't be better than King Street. 

I often use that footpath for a run, you won't get four abreast on there unless they are stick insects.

I used Thursday because it was bad, very bad. I don't use the road every day and also not at the same times. It's not a "rush hour" any more , many folk start going home before 1600 hrs and start going into town well before 0800hrs which is good, problem with a game finishing is that everyone wants to get moving at the same time.

No one has commented on the amount of buses supposed to be getting used, surely they will hold up traffic considerably.

Was clicking through old pages on bbc sport at work earlier and spotted this cracker. 20 years ago!

edit - I’m referring to the final part of the story although I read a few others from around this time relating to Ebbe Skovdahl etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/542556.stm

Edited by Dindeleux

On 6/10/2019 at 16:33, Aberdeen Cowden said:

No it isn't hot lava, might as well be though, it's fully grown beech trees.

As for King Street, you trying to compare a city road, with slow moving traffic,broad pavements either side and folk crossing between the cars to a dual carriageway?

Save yourself some time and go out to Prime Four and walk to the Five Mile Garage and back then you'll see exactly what the problem is.

king Street - 30mph

A944 - 40mph (but as we know, there will be total gridlock during football games as NKS have said so)

On 6/10/2019 at 22:38, Aberdeen Cowden said:

, problem with a game finishing is that everyone wants to get moving at the same time.

in multiple directions. Of course there will be delays leaving, the delays getting away from Pittodrie are brutal, but then we've all got to get across or along King Street. As you know, Westhill won;t be like that 

45 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

in multiple directions. Of course there will be delays leaving, the delays getting away from Pittodrie are brutal, but then we've all got to get across or along King Street. As you know, Westhill won;t be like that 

It’s not Westhill that’s the problem, it’s that stupid Kingsford roundabout. As you said yourself most folk don’t even know how to use it. Re the speed limit, as you also know, no one sticks to it or things would be even worse ( it was only reduced to 40mph supposedly to “ protect “ workers building the bypass! )

15 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

It’s not Westhill that’s the problem, it’s that stupid Kingsford roundabout. As you said yourself most folk don’t even know how to use it. Re the speed limit, as you also know, no one sticks to it or things would be even worse ( it was only reduced to 40mph supposedly to “ protect “ workers building the bypass! )

Four years should be long enough to educate themselves then.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

That I'm afraid is complete and utter bollocks. it was reduced (once again) by the mad nutter of Sheddocksley - Steve Delaney - a lycra warrior who would have us all on bikes given a chance. I wrote to every single city councillor on 20th Feb 2015 about the change. Delenay replied:

Steve Delaney <SDelaney@aberdeencity.gov.uk>
To: fatshaft@yahoo.com
20 Feb 2015 at 21:07

Good Evening,

The Road Traffic Order giving effect to this speed reduction was agreed unanimously by the Communities, Housing & Infrastructure Committee on 4th September 2014. It’s fair to say I’ve been campaigning for a reduction to 40mph from the Sheddocksley roundabout to what was the Westhill roundabout for the past three years. This was supported by the vast majority of my constituents from a road safety point of view. The most recent proposal (which only affects the section from the Kingswells roundabout to Westhill) went through due process, having been out to public consultation twice and back to committee twice. 

I fully accept you take a different view on the speed reduction on this route and respect your opinion, whilst disagreeing with it. The Road Traffic Order has already been passed and is now in force.

Regards
Steve Delaney
--------------------------------------------------------
Councillor Steve Delaney
Ward 3, Kingswells/Sheddocksley/Summerhill
Town House
Aberdeen AB10 1FY
01224 694469 Home
01224 346614 Office
@Cllr Delaney