The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

None of those things are assumptions. The stadium absolutely is in the middle of nowhere - it's by the side of a main road, surrounded by fields, amongst a couple of small suburbs on the outskirts of Aberdeen. Maybe those suburbs are growing, and maybe in 10-20 years time they'll become a decent sized town in their own right (like the Paisley of Aberdeen). Maybe in the future there will be better transport links as a result. But at the moment, all of that is conjecture. Right now, it's shuttle buses or driving, and nothing else.

Of course that will be fine for lots of people who drive or get buses to games anyway, but plenty of people don't, and I am one of those. Therefore, for me (and several others on this thread, including Aberdeen fans), the new stadium does not sound very appealing.

The post I was replying to involved a St Mirren fan jumping in with a irrelevant but lengthy essay about the facilities at their new stadium, and I was pointing out that very little of the criticism on this thread had anything to do with the stadium itself, but rather about where it was. You could buy a plot of land on the moon and build another Bernabeu, but it would still be on the moon.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

None of those things are assumptions. The stadium absolutely is in the middle of nowhere - it's by the side of a main road, surrounded by fields, amongst a couple of small suburbs on the outskirts of Aberdeen.

Again, have you actually been there?

In the middle of nowhere would be it being built out in the country next to nothing, but when there's around 20,000 people within walking distance of the site, and plenty of shops, bars, takeaways, restaurants, hotels etc, then it's not in the middle of nowhere. It's just not in the city centre.

Maybe those suburbs are growing, and maybe in 10-20 years time they'll become a decent sized town in their own right (like the Paisley of Aberdeen). Maybe in the future there will be better transport links as a result. But at the moment, all of that is conjecture. Right now, it's shuttle buses or driving, and nothing else.

Buses or driving. So essentially the same as Pittodrie?

Less than 8% go by train, and they are from outwith Aberdeen.

Of course that will be fine for lots of people who drive or get buses to games anyway, but plenty of people don't, and I am one of those. Therefore, for me (and several others on this thread, including Aberdeen fans), the new stadium does not sound very appealing.

Because of the lack of train station? 

Again, very few people travel by train, and on midweek games you wouldn't be able to anyway. 

As I said in an earlier post, if Rangers and Celtic have a midweek game at Pittodrie, or a Sunday lunchtime one, trains from Glasgow are not an option. They still manage to fill the away end, because if people want to go to a game, they'll find a way.

The post I was replying to involved a St Mirren fan jumping in with a irrelevant but lengthy essay about the facilities at their new stadium, and I was pointing out that very little of the criticism on this thread had anything to do with the stadium itself, but rather about where it was. You could buy a plot of land on the moon and build another Bernabeu, but it would still be on the moon.

Because travelling to the moon will be the same as getting from Aberdeen city centre to Kingsford right enough.

Edited by Dunty

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Source?

All I can see is the statement about transitioning to a Ltd, which they hope will raise £2m. It's been news for a fair while now that they'll try an open share purchase.

They produced a video recently and explicitly stated phase 1 was already fully funded...

Front page of P&J today. 

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

Some wild assumptions there. Have you ever actually been to the site where the stadium is being built, or are you basing your knowledge on some of the histrionics on this thread?

It isn't "in the middle of nowhere", it's situated between Westhill and Kingswells, and that stretch of A944 which the stadium is being built on is being filled, slowly, with hotels, takeaways, offices and actually more houses as the towns next to the stadium site grow. There are a range of applications in both the Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire LDPs. In about 10 years the chances are the stadium will be surrounded by new infrastructure. 

As for "nightmare to travel to". Again, just more conjecture. By car & bus it'll likely be easier than Pittodrie. By foot, or those small numbers who arrive by train, they'll have an additional journey to make. I wouldn't call that "a nightmare".

A train station next to the stadium would be a bonus. It's not a necessity.

Which hotels, takeaways and houses? So far it’s one small Starbucks on the industrial estate. 

Anyone who uses the A944 will confirm that travel will be a real problem. On Thursday I drove from Aberdeen to Westhill. Traffic from town was backed up way past the Kingswells roundabout, traffic from the West backed up to Aldi in Westhill!! And traffic on the bypass from the North backed up on the bypass for a long way.

The problem is the Kingsford roundabout, probably the worst design of any roundabout anywhere. Goodness knows what will happen when several thousand cars want to leave the area.

12 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Front page of P&J today. 

On the front page of the P&J, it quotes Milne saying the move will mean  "immediately unlocking £2 million investment."

If it unlocks it immediately, then the money must already have been pledged. 

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Which hotels, takeaways and houses? So far it’s one small Starbucks on the industrial estate. 

It's between Westhill and Kingswells. Three takeaway restaurants have just been given planning permission  next to the stadium site.

You already know this, but in your usual manner are going to be deliberately obtuse and pretend you need a taxi from Westhill shops to the stadium.

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Anyone who uses the A944 will confirm that travel will be a real problem. On Thursday I drove from Aberdeen to Westhill. Traffic from town was backed up way past the Kingswells roundabout, traffic from the West backed up to Aldi in Westhill!! And traffic on the bypass from the North backed up on the bypass for a long way.

The problem is the Kingsford roundabout, probably the worst design of any roundabout anywhere. Goodness knows what will happen when several thousand cars want to leave the area.

Doesn't matter where you build it, a 20,000 capacity stadium will create heavy traffic.

Will it be worse than King Street or Aberdeen harbour after a game? 

If you're going east, don't park west of the stadium, and vice versa.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

It's between Westhill and Kingswells. Three takeaway restaurants have just been given planning permission  next to the stadium site.

You already know this, but in your usual manner are going to be deliberately obtuse and pretend you need a taxi from Westhill shops to the stadium.

Doesn't matter where you build it, a 20,000 capacity stadium will create heavy traffic.

Didn’t know permission had been given. Apologies if correct.

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/files/D202D67268F622836E8380A4849FF0EC/181336_DPP-Committee_Report-1797713.docx

Can’t find anything about all the hotels though.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

If you are going east where do you park? The park& ride? Should be fun walking from there in inclement weather.

On 03/06/2019 at 13:10, tarapoa said:

Coventry City still having problems with the Ricoh Arena, which has been labelled a disastrous move to a soulless out of town bowl.  They're looking to groundshare with Birmingham now.

Distance from centre of Coventry - 6 miles.

Bolton in the financial mire too - distance from centre of Bolton to Macron Arena (Horwich) - 5.3 miles

Distance from Aberdeen City Centre to Kingsford labelled by the club as 'only 5.9 miles'.

Coventry's problems are more to do with being sh*** for most of the last few years. I'm not sure the stadium is 6 miles frrom the centre either - it's certainly much more part of Coventry proper than Aberdeen's stadium is going to be. It's interesting that the rugby team Wasps - who moved to the Ricoh Arena from London in 2014 -  get an average of about 17,000 people.

29 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

They were approved two months ago.

https://t.co/8bQ9uR8HlJ

29 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Can’t find anything about all the hotels though.

Village hotel is a recent(ish) build at Prime Four.

30 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

If you are going east where do you park? The park& ride? Should be fun walking from there in inclement weather.

Well there'll be buses running from it to the stadium, but even so, it's around the same distance (probably shorter actually) than the train station to Pittodrie is, so not really sure what your point is considering everyone is making a big play about how that's walking distance.

27 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Well there'll be buses running from it to the stadium, but even so, it's around the same distance (probably shorter actually) than the train station to Pittodrie is, so not really sure what your point is considering everyone is making a big play about how that's walking distance.

Big difference walking to Pittodrie compared to walking along a one and half metre pavement which is also a cycle path alongside a dual carriageway.

"You can't conclude that it's 7 miles from the centre of Aberdeen unless you've got your wellies on and walked through the actual field where its going to be built." Simple geography isn't an "assumption" FFS.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Big difference walking to Pittodrie compared to walking along a one and half metre pavement which is also a cycle path alongside a dual carriageway.

I thought you said the traffic on the dual carriageway would be backed up to Kingswells? Should be nice and safe to walk past in that case...

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

I thought you said the traffic on the dual carriageway would be backed up to Kingswells? Should be nice and safe to walk past in that case...

Wrong again. Any traffic backed up to Kingswells would be on the other side of the dual carriageway. The path is on the side going into town, after the notorious roundabout. No one will be going slow there.

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Wrong again. Any traffic backed up to Kingswells would be on the other side of the dual carriageway. The path is on the side going into town, after the notorious roundabout. No one will be going slow there.

Right enough. Hopefully we'll stay at Pittodrie in that case since there's absolutely no solution that would ever make walking next to a road safe..