The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Guest Bob Mahelp
26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Looks like bobs work is done here

It's pretty hilarious that they don't get it. 

Even posting photos. Big clubs. 

22 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's pretty hilarious that they don't get it. 

Even posting photos. Big clubs. 

^Donald Trump-like deflection from his own fibs.

Expected nothing less from this Aberdonian Brexiteer Tory.

The absolute state of this.  5ce0773b5a57b_heckythispost.png.01f47061b8a690953f681f4e74ec4ec6.png
It was a Friday night game in the middle of January, we took a decent enough crowd all things considered. No idea if this photo was taken before or during the game:
BdpKw_BIQAEK2Kv.jpg.eb157d6f818ee2eea72a0b474a68e9fa.jpg
Anyway, since we've come back up, we've had three visits to Pittodrie:
Saturday 12:15pm a week before Christmas - 1217 fans
Saturday 3pm in May - 2012 fans (sold out allocation)
Friday 7:45pm in November - 1015 fans
Essentially, a large part of why Aberdeen take more fans to Easter Road than Pittodrie is because we're important enough to have a rival. The TV cameras therefore use up our 6 game quota on 2x Hearts, 2x Celtic and 2x Rangers. This means Hibs vs Aberdeen is always a Saturday 3pm, the optimal time for away supporters.

1715 Dandies at the midweek LC quarter final earlier in the season, which was also televised.

Kind of negates the Saturday 3pm argument.

8 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Essentially, a large part of why Aberdeen take more fans to Easter Road than Pittodrie is because we're important enough to have a rival. The TV cameras therefore use up our 6 game quota on 2x Hearts, 2x Celtic and 2x Rangers. This means Hibs vs Aberdeen is always a Saturday 3pm, the optimal time for away supporters.

Since Aberdeen have the square root of f**k all rivals (although I hear Cove Rangers may be interested), you have two free Pittodrie TV games. These invariably are one vs Hibs and one vs Hearts, and usually fall on Friday nights. This completely hampers away attendances, as the last Edinburgh train leaves Aberdeen at 21:38.

Congratulations on your ability to take a half decent crowd to a stadium an hour and a half away.

The above diatribe, is however, absolute nonsense.

Aberdeen take large away crowds to Edinburgh - and provincial clubs, such as Celtic and Sevco - due to the fact that we have a huge latent support in the central belt. Hibs and Hearts cannot match that because your support is far more centralised than ours. As we saw the other week at least, the Hearts won't follow their team unless they think they have a chance of winning. On the other hand, Hibs fans generally do follow their team...f**k knows why though.

Edited by Illgresi

Aberdeen take large away crowds to Edinburgh - and provincial clubs, such as Celtic and Sevco - due to the fact that we have a huge latent support in the central belt.

Interesting point. Does this then cast some doubt on the pro-Kingsford bois' plan to use the buses that takes the Dons away support down to the central belt as a fleet of shuttle buses when the Dons are playing at their new ground? Ie. maybe there aren't that many buses going from the north east to away games after all?

I might buy myself a bus. Maybe it'll become the 2020s version of "buy a flat in toon and rent it out for some extra income". Property in Aberdeen is fked nowadays anyway.

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Aberdeen take large away crowds to Edinburgh - and provincial clubs, such as Celtic and Sevco - due to the fact that we have a huge latent support in the central belt. 

Been the case for 30 years or so, I have a couple of mates who are Dons fans and there are a fair few in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

However @HibsFanpoint about scheduling of televised games is entirely accurate.

Also, you cant really equate bread and butter televised league matches with a one off cup game - If that QF had been at Pittodrie, I would be fairly sure that Hibs would have been at or close to sellout for that away end.

Final word on this - perhaps we should simply agree that Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen all have very good supports and leave it at that?

1 hour ago, resk said:

Interesting point. Does this then cast some doubt on the pro-Kingsford bois' plan to use the buses that takes the Dons away support down to the central belt as a fleet of shuttle buses when the Dons are playing at their new ground? Ie. maybe there aren't that many buses going from the north east to away games after all?

I might buy myself a bus. Maybe it'll become the 2020s version of "buy a flat in toon and rent it out for some extra income". Property in Aberdeen is fked nowadays anyway.

This is an interesting point.

As I mention above, I know a few Dons fans from Edinburgh and when they travel up it is by car (even in the old days when a mixed group used to stay over for a bevvy, we never bothered with the train), and I have my doubts that any Park and Ride solution will float their boat, as it could add a fair bit to their already long day out with kids.

8 hours ago, resk said:

No, there are still plenty Dons that head down for away games.

6 hours ago, Green Day said:

Been the case for 30 years or so, I have a couple of mates who are Dons fans and there are a fair few in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

However @HibsFanpoint about scheduling of televised games is entirely accurate.

Also, you cant really equate bread and butter televised league matches with a one off cup game - If that QF had been at Pittodrie, I would be fairly sure that Hibs would have been at or close to sellout for that away end.

Final word on this - perhaps we should simply agree that Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen all have very good supports and leave it at that?

This is an interesting point.

As I mention above, I know a few Dons fans from Edinburgh and when they travel up it is by car (even in the old days when a mixed group used to stay over for a bevvy, we never bothered with the train), and I have my doubts that any Park and Ride solution will float their boat, as it could add a fair bit to their already long day out with kids.

Agreed.

On 16/05/2019 at 14:31, Tibbermoresaint said:

Who's going to pay for these buses? 

Reading subsidise the fares. Will Aberdeen be doing the same or will it be "the price of a pint"?

You know Aberdeen already run shuttle buses to Pittodrie from various park and rides in the city.

One of them is Kingswells, which is just along the road from Kingsford. It costs £1.50 for a return.

On 16/05/2019 at 18:46, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You are missing the point. Almost everyone travelling to Kingsford will either be in a car or bus. A significantly larger number than travel to away games. If there are so many folk at the stadium that they have to use the buses for "shuttling" some fans are going to have a long wait.

Fans generally travel to Pittodrie by car and bus. 

Fans generally will be travelling to Kingsford by car and bus.

For the vast majority, their pre and post match regime will be similar, except they'll be travelling to and from a different part of the city. The time it takes them to get home might be slighter longer for some, shorter for others, but the vast majority will see little difference and will get used to going to a different venue and hopefully will find it a far better stadium to be in than Pittodrie.

We're basically arguing over the vocal minority who can no longer walk to games, or away fans, or those that are so opposed to the move they'll desperate think up every negative.

On 17/05/2019 at 14:49, HibsFan said:

Pittodrie allows for both scenarios, plenty of supporters go up by bus and many go up by train too. Kingsford ruins that. It'll be shite and I can only hope it's abandoned swiftly.

It's already been established in two polls that only 7-8% go to Pittodrie by train.

Kingsford won't be "ruining" the train journey for many at all.

On 18/05/2019 at 17:45, HibsFan said:

You could band together, drive Milne out of the club and stay put at your spiritual home, and absolutely nothing bad would happen to Aberdeen Football Club.

That would be doing something.

And replace him with who?

Everyone who has stepped forward to invest their money in the club - Cormack, Clotty etc - are all in favour of Kingsford.

If there is someone out there with money who would be committed to redeveloping Pittodrie, now might be the time to put their hands up.

On 18/05/2019 at 22:33, HibsFan said:

The absolute state of this.  5ce0773b5a57b_heckythispost.png.01f47061b8a690953f681f4e74ec4ec6.png

It was a Friday night game in the middle of January, we took a decent enough crowd all things considered. No idea if this photo was taken before or during the game:

BdpKw_BIQAEK2Kv.jpg.eb157d6f818ee2eea72a0b474a68e9fa.jpg

Anyway, since we've come back up, we've had three visits to Pittodrie:

Saturday 12:15pm a week before Christmas - 1217 fans

Saturday 3pm in May - 2012 fans (sold out allocation)

Friday 7:45pm in November - 1015 fans

Since Aberdeen have the square root of f**k all rivals (although I hear Cove Rangers may be interested), you have two free Pittodrie TV games. These invariably are one vs Hibs and one vs Hearts, and usually fall on Friday nights. This completely hampers away attendances, as the last Edinburgh train leaves Aberdeen at 21:38.

That's all well and good, but Kingsford won't change that. A Friday night game at Pittodrie is currently unmanageable by train.

No doubt when the stadium is built there'll be plenty of away fans like yourself making out the reason they aren't following their team to Kingsford is because of the location, when the reality is they never went to Pittodrie much either.

Edited by Dunty

On 18/05/2019 at 17:15, A96 said:

It’s certainly up for debate as far as I’m concerned.

Any specific examples of the so-called managed decline ?

I was in the Richard Donald stand for a Scotland game about 20 years ago, the one that was put back a day for that cumwallet Diana's funeral, other than that I have only ever been in the away section i.e the south stand at Pittodrie and it is falling to bits, doubt anyone, even Aberdeen supporters would deny this, can't speak for the other two stands as I've never been in them but, aside from the RD stand it's clear Pittodrie is well past its best.

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I was in the Richard Donald stand for a Scotland game about 20 years ago, the one that was put back a day for that cumwallet Diana's funeral, other than that I have only ever been in the away section i.e the south stand at Pittodrie and it is falling to bits, doubt anyone, even Aberdeen supporters would deny this, can't speak for the other two stands as I've never been in them but, aside from the RD stand it's clear Pittodrie is well past its best.

Seats being wrecked by TGFITW  isn’t really an instance of the stadium falling to bits

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Why would that win you over?! It’s fucking dreadful! It’s nothing but a soulless bowl - why fans are trying to dress this up as some fantastic arena is beyond me.

As new grounds go, that of AA Ghent is pretty good.

You shouldn't judge other clubs with your own tinpot little shitheap.