The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Not defensive at all. I just don't see why folk would argue over whether a shuttle bus that won't be running within the next four years is subsidised or not.
This seems like the sort of thing that should be addressed before even deciding to make the move. A lot of the planning for the new stadium is based on little more than hot air and bullshit at the moment.

It might all turn out OK, but the fact that such issues have not already been comprehensively addressed would worry me if I was an Aberdeen fan.

2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You wouldn’t get into the Village Hotel. The capacity of all the other “licensed premises” wouldn’t be much. Goodness only knows where the cars are to be parked. Go to Westhill and have a look.

There could of course be more pubs built in the next few years. Meantime the cost of the stadium is rising. Hope fans have deep pockets.

As you say yourself, it's four years away. There could be twenty pubs on the doorstep of the stadium with no guarantee they'll still be running in 4 years.

Cost has risen, but so did the cost of the training ground as the club decided they wanted a hybrid pitch. They've raised the costs of the training in two years. I'm confident they can find teh investment for the stadium, along with a manageable debt which was always the plan.

Just now, KingswellsRed said:

Regardless of whether you are for or against the stadium, away fans shouldn’t be taken into consideration. Have you seen how many turn up at Pittodrie?

Running a supporters bus up the road will now be a far more attractive (and cheaper) option too.

Just now, craigkillie said:

This seems like the sort of thing that should be addressed before even deciding to make the move. A lot of the planning for the new stadium is based on little more than hot air and bullshit at the moment.

It might all turn out OK, but the fact that such issues have not already been comprehensively addressed would worry me if I was an Aberdeen fan.

The club did put out a comprehensive plan for shuttle buses in 2017. I preferred not to link it as I'd then be criticised for posting a 2 year old link.

The club released a brochure regarding the clubs future the other day. May be a PR fluff piece but it does state they'll be sharing a lot more information going forward.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The club did put out a comprehensive plan for shuttle buses in 2017. I preferred not to link it as I'd then be criticised for posting a 2 year old link.

The club released a brochure regarding the clubs future the other day. May be a PR fluff piece but it does state they'll be sharing a lot more information going forward.

You should link it. Many folk won’t have paid that much attention to it before the stadium got the go-ahead. They will now. And anyone who hasn’t read it will be in for a shock.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Going to the Ricoh typically involved driving, parking somewhere dodgy, walking a mile or so and not being able to drink. Great fun, that. :rolleyes:

Westhill isn't dodgy to be honest* and the drinks & eats problem will apparently be solved by as yet unidentified benefactors who are going to build bars and restaurants that will only be used 25 times a year.

*not dodgy but does anyone really think the NIMBY's from NKS will meekly allow hundreds of cars to park on "their" streets? Maybe not watch you car for a fiver mister but the appearance of unofficial no parking cones, muppets lining the streets with placards and the like is highly likely.

57 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Running a supporters bus up the road will now be a far more attractive (and cheaper) option too.

And that isn't a good thing? Quite a lot of fans don't like going to games by bus, because trains are far better.

The prospect of paying an additional £5+ for a shuttle bus after paying £40+ for the train as well as the £25+ for a ticket, not to mention the inconvenience of hanging around waiting/being stuck in traffic when you could previously be in the pub enjoying a beer and watching the late game on TV after leaving Pittodrie doesn't bode well.

Still, I'm sure everyone could watch enjoy the 1st half of the late game at the stadium bar before being turfed out and waiting on the the next raft of shuttle buses.....

Build it and they will come.....

When I say they, I mean somebody......

4 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Westhill isn't dodgy to be honest* and the drinks & eats problem will apparently be solved by as yet unidentified benefactors who are going to build bars and restaurants that will only be used 25 times a year.

*not dodgy but does anyone really think the NIMBY's from NKS will meekly allow hundreds of cars to park on "their" streets? Maybe not watch you car for a fiver mister but the appearance of unofficial no parking cones, muppets lining the streets with placards and the like is highly likely.

I'm absolutely certain there will be a plan in place to stop folk parking in their streets. The club said as much.

Will be amazed if the club don't have access to the business car parks in the area though.

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

And that isn't a good thing? Quite a lot of fans don't like going to games by bus, because trains are far better.

Quite a lot of fans like going to games by bus, because buses are far better.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You can't drink on buses, and craigkillie's post covers the rest of it:

On 4/11/2019 at 17:02, craigkillie said:

The ideal football away day for me (and I suspect many others) is to jump on the train with a few cans, get to the town or city, go and grab something to eat, head to the pub, and then walk to the game, before doing the whole thing in reverse after the game. Jumping on shuttle buses for another 20 minute journey either side of the match is unappealing, particularly with the very likely prospect of having to queue for it after the game when everyone is trying to get back to the city centre at the same time.

That is fundamentally why I consider it a pretty shit prospect compared to Pittodrie.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm absolutely certain there will be a plan in place to stop folk parking in their streets. The club said as much.

Will be amazed if the club don't have access to the business car parks in the area though.

I certainly miss the prospect of having my beer poured out onto the hard shoulder of a duel carriageway by Police Scotlands finest when traveling to a game by bus.....

Just now, HibsFan said:

You can't drink on buses, and craigkillie's post covers the rest of it:

I've never been on a football bus that I've not been able to drink on. Not once.

Craigkillie is entitled to class that as his ideal scenario, as are you. It doesn't mean its the best scenario for everyone else though.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

I certainly miss the prospect of having my beer poured out onto the hard shoulder of a duel carriageway by Police Scotlands finest when traveling to a game by bus.....

I've never had the pleasure.

I'd be amazed if any bus didn't stop in Stonehaven for a couple of hours anyway.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've never been on a football bus that I've not been able to drink on. Not once.

Craigkillie is entitled to class that as his ideal scenario, as are you. It doesn't mean its the best scenario for everyone else though.

Then you, the bus convenor and driver are common criminals.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Pittodrie allows for both scenarios, plenty of supporters go up by bus and many go up by train too. Kingsford ruins that. It'll be shite and I can only hope it's abandoned swiftly.

16 minutes ago, sjc said:

The prospect of paying an additional £5+ for a shuttle bus after paying £40+ for the train as well as the £25+ for a ticket, not to mention the inconvenience of hanging around waiting/being stuck in traffic when you could previously be in the pub enjoying a beer and watching the late game on TV after leaving Pittodrie doesn't bode well.

Still, I'm sure everyone could watch enjoy the 1st half of the late game at the stadium bar before being turfed out and waiting on the the next raft of shuttle buses.....

Build it and they will come.....

I may be a cynical old fart but the “comprehensive” bus plan has a glaring error that hasn’t been addressed AFAIK.

For example, the bus plan states buses will run from 2.5 hours before the game and there will be 7 buses running back & forth from Dyce Park & Ride bringing 1,282 fans to the game(s).

Great!

Except…

After the game all 1,282 fans will be wanting to go back to Dyce Park & Ride. Unless they can find 7 buses that hold 183 people each or around 18 buses rather than 7 there’s going to be hundreds hanging around outside the stadium (unless there are these mythical pubs & restaurants) for at least an hour, some of them much longer.

This applies across the bus plan btw. Expectation is for far more fans than there will be seats after the game...

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I've never had the pleasure.

I'd be amazed if any bus didn't stop in Stonehaven for a couple of hours anyway.

What would be the point of stopping at Stonehaven before or after the game? You'd miss the early and late games! I don't claim to speak for anyone else but being a football fan, I like to make a day of it and try taking in as much football as I can of a trip to Aberdeen. Hence going to the pub and enjoying a beer/bar lunch/evening meal/watching the early/late game ticking all boxes....

2 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

I may be a cynical old fart but the “comprehensive” bus plan has a glaring error that hasn’t been addressed AFAIK.

For example, the bus plan states buses will run from 2.5 hours before the game and there will be 7 buses running back & forth from Dyce Park & Ride bringing 1,282 fans to the game(s).

Great!

Except…

After the game all 1,282 fans will be wanting to go back to Dyce Park & Ride. Unless they can find 7 buses that hold 183 people each or around 18 buses rather than 7 there’s going to be hundreds hanging around outside the stadium (unless there are these mythical pubs & restaurants) for at least an hour, some of them much longer.

This applies across the bus plan btw. Expectation is for far more fans than there will be seats after the game...

:lol: Sensational planning!

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Pittodrie allows for both scenarios, plenty of supporters go up by bus and many go up by train too. Kingsford ruins that. It'll be shite and I can only hope it's abandoned swiftly.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

What would be the point of stopping at Stonehaven before or after the game? You'd miss the early and late games! I don't claim to speak for anyone else but being a football fan, I like to make a day of it and try taking in as much football as I can of a trip to Aberdeen. Hence going to the pub and enjoying a beer/bar lunch/evening meal/watching the early/late game ticking all boxes....

Pittodrie must see the lowest away team attendance in the top league. Are the club really supposed to tailor a stadium move to suit away fans?

Surprisingly enough, I've never had to travel to Pittodrie on an away supporters bus but can't imagine it's an enjoyable experience either before or after the game as the City Centre is in near gridlock.

8 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Great!

Except…

The club estimate 68 different journeys using 42 buses.

In regards to Dyce, the first bus will leave station/park and ride 2.5 hours before the game. The rest will be staggered throughout. I'd imagine this will be based on the fact some folk will want to head to the stadium bar early doors etc.

Rather than the 7 buses making staggered trips, they'd likely all be leaving the stadium at roughly the same time. Some may be leaving the stadium a bit later so fans can stay back and use the facilities post match.

Makes sense to me?