The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

It gets more and more complicated by the day. Where are all the buses /cars supposed to go ?

You would hope with a project like a brand new stadium ample parking space would be allowed for. Personally I will be passing it by on the by-pass unless we get them in the cup so hope it does not affect through traffic too much.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

This thread has become absolutely tragic, mostly populated by folk who clearly want the new stadium to fail.

I am withdrawing from this particular thread.

You not enjoying the desperate moving of goal posts by fans of other teams with an unhealthy obsession with how far out of the city centre Aberdeen build a stadium?

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You not enjoying the desperate moving of goal posts by fans of other teams with an unhealthy obsession with how far out of the city centre Aberdeen build a stadium?

I dunno man the lack of public transport currently available to something that hasn’t been built yet meaning there never, ever will be is a pretty compelling argument to me?

20 years from now there will be a fleets of autonomous vehicles (from the likes of Tesla, Uber or Google-subsidiary Waymo) to move people quickly and very cheaply. Those who think people will still be driving are deluded. 

34 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I’m almost certain within 30 years Aberdeen will be a ghost town with no one there at all. Solely because of this stadium.

I thought it was going to be a ghost town in 20 years as the oil as the oil was running out?

Both as believable as the other to be fair .

Guest Moomintroll

Just a wee thought, could the private coaches that drive Aberdeens pretty decent away support not be utilised to provide a shuttle service on home weekends alongside the public transport options? Would seem to be win win for all concerned.

15 hours ago, peternapper said:

Transport seems to be the most important thing to get sorted out some sort of fleet of shuttle buses would have to run from the city as no way will anyone be walking from the city to the stadium. The by-pass is great for what it was set up for, not going into town can now go from Ellon to Stonehaven in around 35 minutes. Believe the Westhill slip/roundabout can be a bottleneck & in a ideal world a separate slip for stadium traffic only should have been included although as an after thought you would imagine the club would have to help with the cost which would not be cheap. Buses coming from North or South would have to arrange somewhere that would take them for a drink to stop allowing enough time say 30/40 mins to arrive at the ground for the game between that & folk driving traffic should be diluted quite a bit.

The Transport Statement / Assessment that accompanied the application for the stadium included a fair amount of detail on the proposed shuttle bus strategy that AFC were putting forward. There would basically be large numbers of buses running from various parts of the city for something like 90 minutes before the match to get fans there as the current public transport provision is wholly insufficient and there won't be enough parking space for private cars.

Wholly agree with what Craigkille says a page or so back. The best grounds in the country and the ones where you can wander up and hit a few pubs on the way for a drink or food places for a bite to eat. Not that it will affect ICT fans but having to hop on a shuttle bus for 30 minutes to get you out to the ground is pretty unappealing and the window for return journeys is pretty small. 

Going against the grain somewhat on the stadium design I don't see the big deal. It'll just be a typical modern stadium. Seems perfectly decent to me.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

The Transport Statement / Assessment that accompanied the application for the stadium included a fair amount of detail on the proposed shuttle bus strategy that AFC were putting forward. There would basically be large numbers of buses running from various parts of the city for something like 90 minutes before the match to get fans there as the current public transport provision is wholly insufficient and there won't be enough parking space for private cars.

Wholly agree with what Craigkille says a page or so back. The best grounds in the country and the ones where you can wander up and hit a few pubs on the way for a drink or food places for a bite to eat. Not that it will affect ICT fans but having to hop on a shuttle bus for 30 minutes to get you out to the ground is pretty unappealing and the window for return journeys is pretty small. 

Going against the grain somewhat on the stadium design I don't see the big deal. It'll just be a typical modern stadium. Seems perfectly decent to me.

No  disrespect intended to anyone but I can't see a lack of away supporters being too much of an issue at the new stadium. Arse cheeks aside, it's not often we see a large away support as it is.

Definitely a ball ache for fans who arrive by train though, as previously mentioned.

3 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

They've been talking about diversification for decades but have achieved the square root of nothing. Prior to the oil boom Aberdeen was smaller than Dundee. Who would get against that happening again after the boom?

If by "Prior to the oil boom" you mean about 1880 then, yes, Dundee was substantially bigger. But that was the only time since 1800 it was the case. Furthermore, for Aberdeen to reduce to be smaller than Dundee from their current populations would require about 80,000 residents to be 'removed' from the city. If you know something about an impending disaster along the lines of an asteroid impact or a super-volcano under Seaton Park please let me know and I will also flee.

49 minutes ago, sjc said:

I thought a large portion of Aberdeen's support travelled up from the central belt to Pittodrie for home matches?

Between that and loads of them travelling from Aberdeenshire, are there are any Aberdeen fans in the actual city itself?!

If by "Prior to the oil boom" you mean about 1880 then, yes, Dundee was substantially bigger. But that was the only time since 1800 it was the case. Furthermore, for Aberdeen to reduce to be smaller than Dundee from their current populations would require about 80,000 residents to be 'removed' from the city. If you know something about an impending disaster along the lines of an asteroid impact or a super-volcano under Seaton Park please let me know and I will also flee.

Although Dundee lost 40,000 residents through the1970s and that was, as far as I know, without a volcanic eruption.

Dundee Law last erupted around 415 million years ago which spoiled [mention=22765]Granny Danger[/mention]'s 12th birthday party

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Between that and loads of them travelling from Aberdeenshire, are there are any Aberdeen fans in the actual city itself?!

Aye, according to one, there’s thousands and thousands travelling from West Aberdeenshire so there won’t be any problems.

Shuttle  buses not required.

4 hours ago, RiG said:

The transport statement/assesment that accompanied the application was fantasy.