The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about that, I'm talking about the many folks who drink a couple of pints in the city centre then walk to the match right now. They exist. I've seen them! They're going to have to disrupt their habits one way or another. It's not a given that football will win.

Doesn't matter whether the attendance is season ticket sales or not. That's 6k whose attendance isn't a given even at Pittodrie, let alone the new stadium.

And there's simply no demographic change going on in Aberdeen that's rapid enough to explain that 2/3 increase in matchgoers over 6-8 years (was there a Y2K baby boom? Did they discover the secret of eternal life in Aberdeenshire?) The most rapid demographic changes are likely to be due to East European migration and new-built student housing, and you're of the opinion those are the people in Aberdeen who are NOT going to the matches!

I didn't state there was a demographic change to explain the increase. You're simply picking parts of a post and choosing to use these out of context. The same as your pal earlier who decided I though Kingsford was a 30 minute walk from Union Street because he misread a post.

We'll have to agree to disagree and leave it there. I'm an Aberdeen fan who (from memory) has lived whilst there has been attempts to move from Pittodrie 3 times. The first two did not make sense to me. This one does. I can't really be bothered to go round and round in circles with a fan of an opposing team who understands nothing other than the fact Pittodrie is a fairly easy jaunt from the train station if you fancy making the journey up the road.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I didn't state there was a demographic change to explain the increase. You're simply picking parts of a post and choosing to use these out of context. The same as your pal earlier who decided I though Kingsford was a 30 minute walk from Union Street because he misread a post.

You didn't need to state the words 'demographic change'. For your claim to be a worthwhile argument, it would have to be implied. You said

You could also take in to account that a portion of that 6K will have been fans who couldn't have attended for whatever reason before (age etc).

It makes no sense to think that there would be anything other than a very small net change in attendance due to age or population movement (because people coming of age or moving to Aberdeen would ordinarily be balanced out by people being too ill or dead to attend or people leaving Aberdeen). There's no need to take such stuff into account, unless there's some big demographic change going on. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were making a reasonable argument, instead of an unreasonable nitpick over immaterial numbers, and I countered the sensible argument!

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

You didn't need to state the words 'demographic change'. For your claim to be a worthwhile argument, it would have to be implied. You said

You could also take in to account that a portion of that 6K will have been fans who couldn't have attended for whatever reason before (age etc).

It makes no sense to think that there would be anything other than a very small net change in attendance due to age or population movement (because people coming of age or moving to Aberdeen would ordinarily be balanced out by people being too ill or dead to attend or people leaving Aberdeen). There's no need to take such stuff into account, unless there's some big demographic change going on. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were making a reasonable argument, instead of an unreasonable nitpick over immaterial numbers, and I countered the sensible argument!

Yet you are happy to decide that folk that walk won't bus/drive etc.

As I said, round in circles. We're never going to agree so it's pointless.

Pointless post. It may be an ideal location for folk who bus to Union street beforehand or live within walking distance but it's a nightmare for anyone traveling by car.
So Pittodrie is an ideal location for anyone using public transport. The new stadium has virtually no public transport and you're entirely reliant on cars or the proposed shuttle bus supposed to be running.

I've no idea about Aberdeen, but I know that in Edinburgh lots of people specifically don't get cars because they can get public transport. A cursory look at the car ownership percentage in Aberdeen City suggests about 41% car ownership for over 17s according to Scottish government figures. Which isn't much higher than Edinburghs 35%.

Seems awful like about 60% of your city will be relying on lifts or the shuttle buses. So possibly is a bit relevant.

4 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

So Pittodrie is an ideal location for anyone using public transport. The new stadium has virtually no public transport and you're entirely reliant on cars or the proposed shuttle bus supposed to be running.

I've no idea about Aberdeen, but I know that in Edinburgh lots of people specifically don't get cars because they can get public transport. A cursory look at the car ownership percentage in Aberdeen City suggests about 41% car ownership for over 17s according to Scottish government figures. Which isn't much higher than Edinburghs 35%.

Seems awful like about 60% of your city will be relying on lifts or the shuttle buses. So possibly is a bit relevant.

It's not even built FFS.

As people have commented on here the new stadium does look dreadfully uninspiring.

Tynecastle is the best similar sized stadium in Scotland and should be copied. 4 steep stands close to the pitch. Safe standing behind the goals. Giant warehouse pub for fans.

Probably cost less too.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
24 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:
It's not even built FFS.

So people should wait with their concerns until it's too late? Pretty much sums up the North East attitude to most things.

My comment was in regards to his "there's virtually no public transport" comment. Shouldn't be hard to comprehend, I even highlighted the point with bold text ;)

In regards to folks 'concerns', I've seen about three Aberdeen fans making concerned comments. Every other one posting seems to be for the stadium and then all the other concerned dissenters are fans of opposing teams.

The ideal football away day for me (and I suspect many others) is to jump on the train with a few cans, get to the town or city, go and grab something to eat, head to the pub, and then walk to the game, before doing the whole thing in reverse after the game. Jumping on shuttle buses for another 20 minute journey either side of the match is unappealing, particularly with the very likely prospect of having to queue for it after the game when everyone is trying to get back to the city centre at the same time.

That is fundamentally why I consider it a pretty shit prospect compared to Pittodrie.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The ideal football away day for me (and I suspect many others) is to jump on the train with a few cans, get to the town or city, go and grab something to eat, head to the pub, and then walk to the game, before doing the whole thing in reverse after the game. Jumping on shuttle buses for another 20 minute journey either side of the match is unappealing, particularly with the very likely prospect of having to queue for it after the game when everyone is trying to get back to the city centre at the same time.

That is fundamentally why I consider it a pretty shit prospect compared to Pittodrie.

Don't think that's up for debate at all. Similar for home fans who arrive by train.

It's not even built FFS.
You think there's going to be public transport infrastructure set up for 20 games a season like?

I think I've said in this thread before that building it near a rail line would alleviate the transport issues and you can scale that. Expecting 20k to rock up in cars and buses with no issues seems wildly optimistic. Fucking Mcdiarmid Park at half the capacity, nearer the city, and a fifth of the crowd is a pain in the hole.

2 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

You think there's going to be public transport infrastructure set up for 20 games a season like?

I think I've said in this thread before that building it near a rail line would alleviate the transport issues and you can scale that. Expecting 20k to rock up in cars and buses with no issues seems wildly optimistic. Fucking Mcdiarmid Park at half the capacity, nearer the city, and a fifth of the crowd is a pain in the hole.

The club shop and community facilities are going to be on-site. There will absolutely be public transport.

No rail line to build near, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Yet you are happy to decide that folk that walk won't bus/drive etc.

Not at all. I've pointed out at length earlier that if all the folks who walk do take motor transport, there will be a net increase of anywhere from 100 to 1500 vehicles for football traffic, depending on how the transport is broken down into buses or cars, all squirted down one or two roads and that's on top of Pittodrie's current matchday traffic. I suspect that this will be a contributory factor in some people being deterred from going to the games, at least once the novelty wears off, of course.

This relocation will have to have one of two deleterious effects, which you're refusing to accept. Either there's more acute traffic congestion, which will now be centred on the new stadium, because up to 1/3 of the attendees will be using motor vehicles when they weren't before, and driving them along fewer roads, or there will be a reduction in matchday attendance, which won't be offset by the far fewer people living near the new stadium who might now decide to go to games when they weren't previously. At least one of those things has to happen (and probably it'll be a mixture of both), almost as a logical certainty.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

As I said, round in circles. We're never going to agree so it's pointless.

Perhaps, but I suspect you're the one in denial here. I've been the one bringing the numbers!

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Not at all. I've pointed out at length earlier that if all the folks who walk do take motor transport, there will be a net increase of anywhere from 100 to 1500 vehicles for football traffic, depending on how the transport is broken down into buses or cars, all squirted down one or two roads and that's on top of Pittodrie's current matchday traffic. I suspect that this will be a contributory factor in some people being deterred from going to the games, at least once the novelty wears off, of course.

This relocation will have to have one of two deleterious effects, which you're refusing to accept. Either there's more traffic congestion, which will now be centred on the new stadium, because up to 1/3 of the attendees will be using motor vehicles when they weren't before, and driving them along fewer roads, or there will be a reduction in matchday attendance, which won't be offset by the far fewer people living near the new stadium who might now decide to go to games when they weren't previously. At least one of those things has to happen (and probably it'll be a mixture of both), almost as a logical certainty.

Perhaps, but I suspect you're the one in denial here. I've been the one bringing the numbers!

You've brought conjecture. Exactly the same as everyone posting here, myself included.

Pittodries location can't cope with the matchday traffic due to the surrounding roads. The new stadium is built literally right next to the new bypass. There will be park and ride services so the level of traffic will not be going near the stadium.

https://www.kingsfordstadium.co.uk/new-stadium-public-transport-bus-strategy/

Edited by Merkland Red