The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Sure Pittodrie is a shithole, but the location is decent. And if it was 'nothing to do with the traffic', you didn't help your case by citing gridlock. Make up your mind!

As for 'many', anyone who goes to a game can easily observe plenty of people that walk out of the stadium and don't head for supporter's buses or the car park. According to the Kingsford survey ~28% go to the game either by walking or 'other', with 55% taking the car and 16% taking the bus. That's 4500 extra people taking motor transport - that's going to be up to ~1500 extra cars or 90 extra buses or some combination of the two. Not a trivial number.

Reasonable points, but it is fair to say that a large proportion of Dons fans already go to home games by car. It's become hell around the stadium on match days, and it can often take over an hour to get out of the city by car or bus, regardless of which direction you take.

Far more Dons fans travel into the city than say Hibs or Hearts fans travel into Edinburgh. Logistically, this would suggest that these same people will still travel by car to the new stadium, and I don't think we'll lose as many fans in a stadium move as the Edinburgh teams would have if they'd moved.

Ok let's review some of the key decisions made by the club in the past to ascertain if we should have confidence in them to get this project right - 
Craig Brown
Mark McGhee
Steve Paterson
Ebbe Skovdahl
Alex Miller
Milne "We need a strong Rangers" 
ABER DNA causing needless stratification amongst the fans. 
Deliberately running down Pittodrie to make a move inevitable. 
Taking years to get a decent training facility organised. 
Running up millions of pounds of debt and only getting rid of it due to a hand out.

You forgot last seasons blue away kit, ya miserable c**t.

Some amount of jealousy on here from hibbees!!

Get a hold of yourselfs!!

Not every club could built or rebuild in the centre of town.

I think it's a bold and great move for Aberdeen,yeah it's on the outskirts of the city but in the years to come it won't be as the city gets ever bigger.

It's gonna be a breeze to get to compared to what Pittodrie is like!!

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Some amount of jealousy on here from hibbees!!

Get a hold of yourselfs!!

Not every club could built or rebuild in the centre of town.

I think it's a bold and great move for Aberdeen,yeah it's on the outskirts of the city but in the years to come it won't be as the city gets ever bigger.

It's gonna be a breeze to get to compared to what Pittodrie is like!!

Aberdeen could have, Milne recklessly sold land off around Pittodrie to accidentally or intentionally make a rebuild there 'impossible'.

Believe me, I am not in the slightest bit jealous.

I feel for city-based Aberdeen fans who are having their club moved from their spiritual home of 100+ years.

I don't feel for the country bumpkin Tories who are cheering this all the way so their "commute" to the ground can be 15 minutes quicker.

Can't wait to revisit this thread 5 years into Kingsford. It will be a fucking disaster.  M5.png.f8338b0680e389e06c9757db5066c6cb.png

I think this will end up being in the middle of what folk are saying.

It won't be the huge massive gleaming success many of the Aberdeen fans on here think it will.

Likewise, it won't be a totally garbage bag of shite in the middle of nowhere.

It will definitely have some good aspects to it, and it will definitely have some bad aspects to it. The location issue may well be a plus to many home fans as discussed, but it will also be a shitter to many others. A couple of crappy bus journeys from the city centre where folk are stuck in traffic will test the patience of some fans (even more so if they're bursting for a pish!).

I can't see the bar at the ground being anything other than a big over-crowded barn of a place with crappy Carling in plastic glassed for a fiver a pop. It would be great if that wasn't the case, and I hope it is, but I can't see it. It's only supposed to hold 1k as well I think (might be wrong with that though?). 

For away fans, if they're getting a bus or driving straight there and back, then yes, it will be handy. But if you're an away fan who wants to have lunch and/or pints then you're a bit fucked. It's all well and good saying there are a few hotel bars around, but they're hardly great places, and it remains to be seen if they'll even let football fans in). Plus they'll all quite busy if everyone gets the same idea. I know, buses will be running from some pubs in the town, but will they allow away fans on? Are they guaranteed to always be running?

The capacity of the ground is a nonsense, and it will be daft to see them play in front of so many empty seats for almost every single game. A huge missed opportunity to not have standing sections, especially when there will be loads of folk who will be standing anyway.

There will be a lot of teething issues, as there always are with such things, but I quite like Aberdeen so I hope it works out. The training facilities will be the real benefit though.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think this will end up being in the middle of what folk are saying.

It won't be the huge massive gleaming success many of the Aberdeen fans on here think it will.

Likewise, it won't be a totally garbage bag of shite in the middle of nowhere.

It will definitely have some good aspects to it, and it will definitely have some bad aspects to it. The location issue may well be a plus to many home fans as discussed, but it will also be a shitter to many others. A couple of crappy bus journeys from the city centre where folk are stuck in traffic will test the patience of some fans (even more so if they're bursting for a pish!).

I can't see the bar at the ground being anything other than a big over-crowded barn of a place with crappy Carling in plastic glassed for a fiver a pop. It would be great if that wasn't the case, and I hope it is, but I can't see it. It's only supposed to hold 1k as well I think (might be wrong with that though?). 

For away fans, if they're getting a bus or driving straight there and back, then yes, it will be handy. But if you're an away fan who wants to have lunch and/or pints then you're a bit fucked. It's all well and good saying there are a few hotel bars around, but they're hardly great places, and it remains to be seen if they'll even let football fans in). Plus they'll all quite busy if everyone gets the same idea. I know, buses will be running from some pubs in the town, but will they allow away fans on? Are they guaranteed to always be running?

The capacity of the ground is a nonsense, and it will be daft to see them play in front of so many empty seats for almost every single game. A huge missed opportunity to not have standing sections, especially when there will be loads of folk who will be standing anyway.

There will be a lot of teething issues, as there always are with such things, but I quite like Aberdeen so I hope it works out. The training facilities will be the real benefit though.

You are of course right that it will fall somewhere in between the utopia some hope it will be and the disaster some rival club fans are waiting/hoping for it to be.

The truth though is the club need to ensure it forces it as far down the right side of that spectrum as they can.

This could be a disaster if they get it wrong. I feel our support is more fickle than some teams around us and will make the decision not to attend fairly easily if they feel they're being wronged. It's something that irritates me about the AFC support I must admit.

Transport links are very key.  The club should engage with bars in the city centre to put on buses out to kingsford and back, enough of this and who will have much of an issue if you're getting bused to the game after a few pints and back again?

Indeed the supporters bar, I am not too worried by the quality as such, if I can confidently get in and get served relatively quickly then I'm not going to lose much sleep over it being only Tennents or whatever on offer.

I just wish more people had a more open mind about it.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

You are of course right that it will fall somewhere in between the utopia some hope it will be and the disaster some rival club fans are waiting/hoping for it to be.

The truth though is the club need to ensure it forces it as far down the right side of that spectrum as they can.

This could be a disaster if they get it wrong. I feel our support is more fickle than some teams around us and will make the decision not to attend fairly easily if they feel they're being wronged. It's something that irritates me about the AFC support I must admit.

Transport links are very key.  The club should engage with bars in the city centre to put on buses out to kingsford and back, enough of this and who will have much of an issue if you're getting bused to the game after a few pints and back again?

Indeed the supporters bar, I am not too worried by the quality as such, if I can confidently get in and get served relatively quickly then I'm not going to lose much sleep over it being only Tennents or whatever on offer.

I just wish more people had a more open mind about it.

Nah, that's all supports.

The transport links will be the main issue. There will be occasions when it won't be smooth (traffic due to accidents or weather for example, or a bus breaking down) but if Aberdeen can ensure that the first time runs smooth then that will go a long way.

On 1/14/2018 at 15:32, lubo_blaha said:

Agree with a lot of this. Pittodrie isn’t ideal, thanks largely to those in charge of our club. The land around Pittodrie should have been purchased years ago when it was available but the board have neglected the current stadium site for decades.

It is entirely unacceptable that the board have neglected the stadium and training situation for twenty five years. The fact that they’ve done this while still running up an astronomical debt and mostly poor team on the park is even worse. They have failed in just about every strategic outcome that you’d expect from a football club board.

I don’t think Kingsford is the answer. The facilities would be welcomed but the location is totally unacceptable which will put people off and seriously hamper us in the long run. If Milne and co hadn’t provided us with such a piss poor current situation then there’d be no way our support would tolerate the plans for Kingsford yet here we are.

It's been mentioned at numerous points on this thread @aDONisSheep, here's one such example from an Aberdeen fan.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

It's been mentioned at numerous points on this thread @aDONisSheep, here's one such example from an Aberdeen fan.

No it fvkkin isn't!  Not buying something is not the same as selling it!

You stated that Wiggy (and I quote) "recklessly sold land off around Pittodrie".  When in actual fact he or Aberdeen did nothing of the sort.

It's almost as though you're just making shit up!

By all means disagree, but don't go making shite up about it.

Yours

aDONis

A substantial percentage of fans who attend Pittodrie from both the City and ‘shire do not: drive to the game, watch the game, drive home from the game. Shaving 10 minutes off the commute is neither here nor there.

They go for food. They go for beer. Before and after the game. Sometimes they will go for food and beer to avoid the “gridlock”; they wait it out over a few beers.

Whatever is being said about the sprinkling of pubs (and I use the word in its broadest sense) in Westhill & Kingswells they will not be anywhere near adequate. In fact I imagine quite a few of them will positively deter ‘football types’ from crossing their threshold.

Furthermore, if you think the atmosphere at Pittodrie is shite at the moment just wait until the drunks are replaced by the stone cold sober middle class ‘shire set and hillbillies (who’ll come along to see what the “shiny bright lights” are all about).

I find the suggestion that a move to Pittodrie would bring in more complaints than this redeployment to the boondocks almost Twilight Zoney. If it was a move to Pittodrie it would be from Torry or Cattofield, wouldn’t it? Would that really be a bad thing (other than for the residents of Linksfield I suppose)? It wouldn’t be a move from Kingsford to Pittodrie, that is too ridiculous to even contemplate (until roughly 2030AD).

The almost criminal neglect of Pittodrie has made this necessary. If in 1993, after the monstrosity that is the RDS was completed, the board-room incumbents had turned their attention to the rest of the ground (instead of pissing money away “because everyone else was doing it” and running up astounding losses and debt), by now the Dung Heap would be fit for purpose and this discussion wouldn’t be happening.

Incidentally, if AFC had resisted the Loadsamoney shite in the 90s & 2000s and spent money on the stadium instead of fake footballers how much worse could it have been on the field: flirting with relegation, horrendous regular humiliations and the longest trophy barren spell in the post-war period?

The board have an affy lot to answer for.

21 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

A substantial percentage of fans who attend Pittodrie from both the City and ‘shire do not: drive to the game, watch the game, drive home from the game. Shaving 10 minutes off the commute is neither here nor there.

They go for food. They go for beer. Before and after the game. Sometimes they will go for food and beer to avoid the “gridlock”; they wait it out over a few beers.

Whatever is being said about the sprinkling of pubs (and I use the word in its broadest sense) in Westhill & Kingswells they will not be anywhere near adequate. In fact I imagine quite a few of them will positively deter ‘football types’ from crossing their threshold.

Furthermore, if you think the atmosphere at Pittodrie is shite at the moment just wait until the drunks are replaced by the stone cold sober middle class ‘shire set and hillbillies (who’ll come along to see what the “shiny bright lights” are all about).

I find the suggestion that a move to Pittodrie would bring in more complaints than this redeployment to the boondocks almost Twilight Zoney. If it was a move to Pittodrie it would be from Torry or Cattofield, wouldn’t it? Would that really be a bad thing (other than for the residents of Linksfield I suppose)? It wouldn’t be a move from Kingsford to Pittodrie, that is too ridiculous to even contemplate (until roughly 2030AD).

The almost criminal neglect of Pittodrie has made this necessary. If in 1993, after the monstrosity that is the RDS was completed, the board-room incumbents had turned their attention to the rest of the ground (instead of pissing money away “because everyone else was doing it” and running up astounding losses and debt), by now the Dung Heap would be fit for purpose and this discussion wouldn’t be happening.

Incidentally, if AFC had resisted the Loadsamoney shite in the 90s & 2000s and spent money on the stadium instead of fake footballers how much worse could it have been on the field: flirting with relegation, horrendous regular humiliations and the longest trophy barren spell in the post-war period?

The board have an affy lot to answer for.

Yet the Hibee who posted on this previously stated that 28% go by 'walking' or other. There will be city centre shuttle buses and buses from supporter bars to take them from the city centre  to the stadium.

The middle part of your post is conjecture at best. Now suddenly drunk folk will be replaced by stone cold middle class folk. Based on what?

The only part of your boast that has any point based close to reality is the last two paragraphs.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Out of interest, if Pittodrie had been redeveloped, where would they have played while the work went on?

Folk tend to ignore this point as it doesn't suit their agenda.

There is the obvious argument that you complete the redevelopment one stand at a time. Where the money was coming for this I've no idea.

Policing the Old firm fans with no South Stand would have been entertaining, right enough.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

Aberdeen could have, Milne recklessly sold land off around Pittodrie to accidentally or intentionally make a rebuild there 'impossible'.

Believe me, I am not in the slightest bit jealous.

I feel for city-based Aberdeen fans who are having their club moved from their spiritual home of 100+ years.

I don't feel for the country bumpkin Tories who are cheering this all the way so their "commute" to the ground can be 15 minutes quicker.

Can't wait to revisit this thread 5 years into Kingsford. It will be a fucking disaster.  M5.png.f8338b0680e389e06c9757db5066c6cb.png

Obvious trolling or just not very bright.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Out of interest, if Pittodrie had been redeveloped, where would they have played while the work went on?

The Chris Anderson stadium.