The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

you'd be surprised at the amount of the city citizens that have moved up here to work in the O&G industry or to study.

I wouldn't.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

TWe need the new stadium because Pittodrie is a shit hole and the mounting maintenance costs along with planning legislation make it impossible for a club of our size and finances to upgrade. Nothing to do with the traffic?

I don't know anyone who walks to Pittodrie from their home. No idea how you can state 'many' folk walk there. Most will drive or get the bus. A high proportion of the folk in immediate walking distance are students.

Sure Pittodrie is a shithole, but the location is decent. And if it was 'nothing to do with the traffic', you didn't help your case by citing gridlock. Make up your mind!

As for 'many', anyone who goes to a game can easily observe plenty of people that walk out of the stadium and don't head for supporter's buses or the car park. According to the Kingsford survey ~28% go to the game either by walking or 'other', with 55% taking the car and 16% taking the bus. That's 4500 extra people taking motor transport - that's going to be up to ~1500 extra cars or 90 extra buses or some combination of the two. Not a trivial number.

Edited by Aim Here

9 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Sure Pittodrie is a shithole, but the location is decent. And if it was 'nothing to do with the traffic', you didn't help your case by citing gridlock. Make up your mind!

As for 'many', there are plenty of people that walk out of the stadium and don't head for supporter's buses or the car park. According to the Kingsford survey ~28% walking or 'other', with 55% taking the car and 16% taking the bus. That's 4500 extra people taking motor transport - that's going to be up to ~1500 extra cars or 90 extra buses or some combination of the two. Not a trivial number.

Eh? I've never once said we're moving because of traffic? I've said that if Pittodrie was to be built now then a major complaint would be the traffic congestion. I'm stating that the new location won't have the same King Street stress to deal with.

The Kingsford survey figures don't prove anything other than how fans get to the current stadium. You're adding 4500 as extra fans now taking motor transport. You're not taking account fans who will live within walking distance of the new stadium, shuttle buses, park and ride and buses which city centre pubs have already declared they will provide.

8 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

When I lived in Aberdeen I walked to Pittodrie from my home. Most of the Aberdeen fans I worked with did the same.

Hope that helps.

Depends where you lived I guess. Surrounding areas have also had a fairly large influx of immigrants in the past ten years. Unsure if that's within the time frame you lived here.

Edited by Merkland Red

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The Kingsford survey figures don't prove anything other than how fans get to the current stadium. You're adding 4500 as extra fans now taking motor transport. You're not taking account fans who will live within walking distance of the new stadium, shuttle buses, park and ride and buses which city centre buses have already declared they will provide.

There's next to nothing within walking distance of the new stadium. It's in a big green area on the outskirts of town. It's safe to say there will be a huge decrease in fans walking to the game, simply because there are far fewer people living within walking distance. Anyone claiming otherwise is simply deluded or obtuse.

Also, when I use the term 'motor transport' that includes buses; I even explicitly mentioned '90 buses' as a rough guesstimate of the amount of increased traffic. A bus still increases traffic congestion, if the people using it would otherwise have been walking.

Edited by Aim Here

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Depends where you lived I guess. Surrounding areas have also had a fairly large influx of immigrants in the past ten years. Unsure if that's within the time frame you lived here.

I lived on King St, my colleagues mainly lived around Holborn St and Union Grove.

13 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

There's next to nothing within walking distance of the new stadium. It's in a big green area on the outskirts of town. It's safe to say there will be a huge decrease in fans walking to the game, simply because there are far fewer people living within walking distance. Anyone claiming otherwise is simply deluded or obtuse.

Also, when I use the term 'motor transport' that includes buses; I even explicitly mentioned '90 buses' as a rough guesstimate of the amount of increased traffic. A bus still increases traffic congestion, if the people using it would otherwise have been walking.

Aye, the campaigners went to all that expense to block a development that's nowhere near walking distance to their homes. You're stating it's nowhere near walking distance when the lad I've quoted below you states his pals walked from Holburn Street to Pittodrie.

The new stadium is literally almost on the bypass. It's going to take me less time to drive there than it does Pittodrie and I'm a 12 minute drive at worst to Pittodrie on a non match day. If I leave bang on the final whistle I am lucky to be home for 1745.

Again, there's park and ride a very short distance to the stadium...which is on a bypass.

You've looked at a map and made a decision without taking in to effect any mitigating factors.

9 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I lived on King St, my colleagues mainly lived around Holborn St and Union Grove.

King Street and the surround has thrown up some student accommodation over the years. Holburn to Pittodrie is a decent walk!

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I walked from Hazelhead

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It might. Because plenty people have this attitude and have already made up their mind.

Give the club a chance to get it right.

Ok let's review some of the key decisions made by the club in the past to ascertain if we should have confidence in them to get this project right - 

Craig Brown

Mark McGhee

Steve Paterson

Ebbe Skovdahl

Alex Miller

Milne "We need a strong Rangers" 

ABER DNA causing needless stratification amongst the fans. 

Deliberately running down Pittodrie to make a move inevitable. 

Taking years to get a decent training facility organised. 

Running up millions of pounds of debt and only getting rid of it due to a hand out.

Edited by jessmagic

5 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

Ok let's review some of the key decisions made by the club in the past to ascertain if we should have confidence in them to get this project right - 

Craig Brown

Mark McGhee

Steve Paterson

Ebbe Skovdahl

Alex Miller

Milne "We need a strong Rangers" 

ABER DNA causing needless stratification amongst the fans. 

Deliberately running down Pittodrie to make a move inevitable. 

Taking years to get a decent training facility organised. 

Running up millions of pounds of debt and only getting rid of it due to a hand out.

Whilst most of your points are fine, what's that got to do with building a stadium?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Whilst most of your points are fine, what's that got to do with building a stadium?

I think over the years the poor quality of their decision making on most aspects of running a football club gives me very little confidence that thye will deliver a good stadium. 

The underlying theme is they don't care what the fans think ergo they are not going to allow them any input into the new stadium. 

14 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

I think over the years the poor quality of their decision making on most aspects of running a football club gives me very little confidence that thye will deliver a good stadium. 

The underlying theme is they don't care what the fans think ergo they are not going to allow them any input into the new stadium. 

Aye bit it's building a stadium, not hiring a manager.