The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

27 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

:lol:

RIP Aberdeen Football Club.

ETA - bring on the reddies, this is going to be an absolute fucking trainwreck of a move for your club and most of your support genuinely seem to want it.

Don't think it'll kill AFC but it could diminish them greatly.  That millstone that Milne is about to put around the club's neck might be severe. £40 Million won't do it unless it turns out to be 4 concrete boxes  rather than the starship it's currently billed as.

However, that's for another day, right now  it's jolly nice to see these nimby knobs get a good kick in the balls.

1 minute ago, Frank Grimes said:

The NIMBYS replying to the No Kingsford  update on their Facebook page

Just hook it into my veins, please

Thank you 

Saw one response along the lines of "sad day for Aberdeen City regeneration."

Where has this boy been for the past thirty years?

1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

Don't think it'll kill AFC but it could diminish them greatly.  That millstone that Milne is about to put around the club's neck might be severe. £40 Million won't do it unless it turns out to be 4 concrete boxes  rather than the starship it's currently billed as.

However, that's for another day, right now  it's jolly nice to see these nimby knobs get a good kick in the balls.

No-one knows what is going to happen.

One thing everyone can agree on though. Pittodrie is a shithole.

Edited by Merkland Red

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

No-one knows what is going to happen.

One thing everyone can agree on though. Pittodrie is a shithole.

Yeah...25 years of almost criminal neglect will do that to a building, eh? Running up massive, massive losses at the same time as spending fucking zip on the stadium. Amazing. Takes some kind of financial wizard to be that inept, don't you think?

1 minute ago, EdTheDuck said:

Yeah...25 years of almost criminal neglect will do that to a building, eh? Running up massive, massive losses at the same time as spending fucking zip on the stadium. Amazing. Takes some kind of financial wizard to be that inept, don't you think?

It was a fucking hole 25 years ago.

The club should have tried to do something at the old gasworks site. We've been trying to relocate since at least 2000. Even at that point it was reported that the maintenance costs were ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Not even the financial aspect for me. If Hibs got moved 7 miles out of the city I wouldn't go anymore, no matter what happened on the park. Part of going to Hibs for me is a day out in Leith with relatives and pals, if you took that away and told me I was having to get a shuttle bus to watch a team in a silent bowl of a stadium every fortnight, I'd lose interest rapidly. Fair play if it's different for your lot, but that's just how I see it.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

Not even the financial aspect for me. If Hibs got moved 7 miles out of the city I wouldn't go anymore, no matter what happened on the park. Part of going to Hibs for me is a day out in Leith with relatives and pals, if you took that away and told me I was having to get a shuttle bus to watch a team in a silent bowl of a stadium every fortnight, I'd lose interest rapidly. Fair play if it's different for your lot, but that's just how I see it.

Good for you pal.

Just now, HibsFan said:

Over half the fans are tuechters, many of the rest will be closer to Kingsford than Pittodrie. it's not at all the same as Edinburgh, you have other teams for the non-city folks to follow, whereas we're the only senior team for at least 65 miles.  You're comparing different things

11 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

That’s the difference between being a one city club that also represents the wider region as opposed to a club that shares its city with other clubs and is a lot more closely associated with the region it occupies

Not saying one or the other is better, just different 

Edited by Frank Grimes

3 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Over half the fans are tuechters, many of the rest will be closer to Kingsford than Pittodrie. it's not at all the same as Edinburgh, you have other teams for the non-city folks to follow, whereas we're the only senior team for at least 65 miles.  You're comparing different things

Two miles more to Kingsford for me, yet AA route planner gives you almost the exact same travel time on a normal day. Take in to account that King Street and surrounding areas can be gridlocked before and after games on match day and a 10 minute journey home from Pittodrie can be almost an hour if you take in to account walking distance to the car.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It was a fucking hole 25 years ago.

The club should have tried to do something at the old gasworks site. We've been trying to relocate since at least 2000. Even at that point it was reported that the maintenance costs were ridiculous.

25 years ago, the RDS had just opened (although that monstrosity contributed to the overall fucking awfulness of the stadium). The Main Stand should have been next. Then the South Stand or vice versa. Then the Merkland. By now, it would be fit for purpose and the 21st century, probably with little or no debt outstanding, if it had been done right.

Instead we racked up huge debts building useless teams that dictated that the only way out was selling Pittodrie & relocating. When a fluke rather than any great business acumen wiped out the debts, it was too late for Pittodrie. It was fucked.

Future historians will not look back kindly on Milne’s tenure IMO.

2 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

25 years ago, the RDS had just opened (although that monstrosity contributed to the overall fucking awfulness of the stadium). The Main Stand should have been next. Then the South Stand or vice versa. Then the Merkland. By now, it would be fit for purpose and the 21st century, probably with little or no debt outstanding, if it had been done right.

Instead we racked up huge debts building useless teams that dictated that the only way out was selling Pittodrie & relocating. When a fluke rather than any great business acumen wiped out the debts, it was too late for Pittodrie. It was fucked.

I'm too young to offer much argument to the first paragraph. Agree on the RDS. Even brand new it didn't look easy on the eye. Not too sure when the planning laws changed but I do know there is not enough footprint behind the Main without CPOs being required.

Don't find too much argument with the rest of the post.

4 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

He will though, hasn't done him any harm, yet! Now he'll have to dip into his pockets.

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

He will though, hasn't done him any harm, yet! Now he'll have to dip into his pockets.

I get into so many arguments about Milne.  Folks'll tell me he kept the club afloat, kept the banks at bay by underwriting the huge debts, apparently unaware that the huge debts were run up under his stewardship. Year after year of multi-million Pound losses and a trophy cabinet with doors seizing up through underuse.

Double-think has nothing on AFC fans.

8 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

The biggest disappointment for me is there was plenty land around Pittodrie in the late 80's/90's that could have been used for training facilities but that land was sold for housing.

13 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Since I don't want to get Pie and Bovril shut down and Div sued, I will only remark that some nameless people have suggested that it would have been beneficial to the pocket of Milne if he had engineered such a decline of Pittodrie and have houses built around the perimeter to make redevelopment impossible.

15 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Since I don't want to get Pie and Bovril shut down and Div sued, I will only remark that some nameless people have suggested that it would have been beneficial to the pocket of Milne if he had engineered such a decline of Pittodrie and have houses built around the perimeter to make redevelopment impossible.

Are any of the flats around the stadium Stewart Milne ones?

EDIT: Milne isn't building the stadium either so not sure how it's beneficial to his pocket at all?

That's up there with folk thinking Milne wants to sell Pittodrie to build flats. In Linksfield.

Edited by Merkland Red

18 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

To be sure I've never bought into the whole 'he wanted to sell Pittodrie for hooses' thing. He doesn't need to. His hooses are fucking everywhere (including poshknobs Cheshire). 

Whatever, he has made a proper dog's dinner of running a football club and Derek McInnes has probably saved him from flaming torches and pitchforks over the last five years, although you get the feeling that feelgood may be tarnishing a bit. As Fatshaft says above, the success or failure of this new stadium will go a long way to defining whether he is seen as an unmitigated disaster or snatching glory from the jaws of that disaster.

Edited by EdTheDuck