The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

4 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

I'm only using West Ham as a "be careful for what you wish for" example.

I accept Kingsford will be an ok football stadium, although it's already seeming to have to compromise on the gradients of stands etc.

It wouldn't shock me if Milne ending up settling on the cheapest option. It would be the final nail in the world's most incompetent coffin that is his chairmanship of Aberdeen FC

I agree to an extent.

I don't think the move itself that will be a disaster, it will be the job the club do of implementing it as I alluded to earlier.

ETA - Similarly as a fanbase if we throw the toys out the pram over some minor things we don't like about it and attendances plummet, then we as a club deserve everything we get.

Edited by Dons_1988

:thumsup2

W.A.N.K.S, has worked tirelessly to prevent the approval of this application.

We have shown that the application is contrary to the development plan and our position is supported by the Strategic Planning authority, Aberdeenshire Council and the local community councils. We commissioned an independent review of the economic case which found that AFC had “grossly overestimated” the impact.

It is our view that Council Officials and Councilors have failed in their duty to apply the law in this case and we will now progress our petition for Judicial Review.

The club estimated that just shy of 6,000 would be using shuttle buses. Apparently half your support are believed to drive to games so the other 4,000 would likely be getting to the ground by other means (taxi, local bus, cycling etc). Assuming a 20,000 crowd that is.

There are a large amount of fans who go to games from out with the city but I'm not so sure it's as much as half. They NEED to get the transport links right or it could be disastrous.
In fact they need to get the whole thing right, design of the stadium, size of the pitch, capacity, parking, transport and facilities including bars, cafes etc.
I have my doubts...

For any nimbys looking in though....get it right up ye you selfish Tory twats.

Club figures speak of 45% tuechters, that will rise with the easily accessed location at Westhill 

Would have been fantastic for me growing up. I think that's the difference between us and teams like Hibs, we have such a large chunk of our fanbase from the surrounding area.

1 minute ago, GTG_03 said:

There are a large amount of fans who go to games from out with the city but I'm not so sure it's as much as half. They NEED to get the transport links right or it could be disastrous.
In fact they need to get the whole thing right, design of the stadium, size of the pitch, capacity, parking, transport and facilities including bars, cafes etc.
I have my doubts...

The transport assessment that accompanied the application quoted a survey of AFC supporters, I think from various supporters groups, which indicated over 50% of fans drive to games. I didn't think it was anywhere near that much to be honest. As you say the road/transport conditions will be tough to satisfy but I suspect AFC will find a way to discharge them.

13 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

To all those rejoicing, I'll say this;

Nearly everyone admits that Stewart Milne is responsible for the lack of redevelopment at Pittodrie over the last three decades. He had numerous chances to purchase land behind the Merkland and South Stands and refused to do so.

Rather than driving this incompetent idiot out of your club for this, you have instead rewarded him with the chance to move your club 7 miles from the city centre, to a place with staggeringly poor transport links, in the name of supposed growth and modernity. 

It's a sad day for Aberdeen Football Club, as has tried to be explained repeatedly, this is irreversible, if you get to Kingsford in a few seasons time and realise (much like West Ham have with the Olympic Stadium) that it is no good for football, there's no going back. Pittodrie will be flats. And a huge part of your club's heritage and identity will have died, only to be replaced by this white elephant of a stadium

Coventry

West Ham

Which is the next uncomparable club are you going to trot out??

Reading get an average attendance of circa 17.5k in and out primarily by bus and car every other week (stadium is circa three miles from city centre) that being the case I'm sure we can do it.

I do want us to build something the city as well as the club, can be proud of.

Look forwards not back.

Yours

aDONis

Obviously I'm an outsider, but I'm not overly convinced this is a great move for Aberdeen. It seems sidelined to the outskirts in a pretty isolated location, rather than being in the heart of the city and not that easy to get to.

Football fans are creatures of habit, and I just hope that Aberdeen fans can still be bothered going when the team goes through a dip in form and are playing a relegation fodder team etc and it doesn't suffer from the New Broomfield type situation. 

11 minutes ago, betting competition said:

“The next steps are to await final approval from the Scottish Government, agree the section 75, work through the conditions with the Council, and secure the necessary road and building warrant consents. Assuming these move at pace, we should be in a position to begin construction of phase one this summer.”

That seems optimistic to get approval, agree S75 and get RCC consents in that time. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

To all those rejoicing, I'll say this;

Nearly everyone admits that Stewart Milne is responsible for the lack of redevelopment at Pittodrie over the last three decades. He had numerous chances to purchase land behind the Merkland and South Stands and refused to do so.

Rather than driving this incompetent idiot out of your club for this, you have instead rewarded him with the chance to move your club 7 miles from the city centre, to a place with staggeringly poor transport links, in the name of supposed growth and modernity. 

I'm not necessarily in support of the decision, but I'd point out that Milne hasn't been involved in the club for 30 years. Only for around half that time. 

I would criticise the club for 2 major f*ck ups in the last 25 years. The first was spending a fortune on the white elephant that is the Big Dick without having a coherent plan for the development of the rest of the stadium.

The second is for not going all out to purchase the land at the back of the south stand to enable us to develop Pittodrie.

Milne was only to blame for one of them (arguably) the biggest though. The other was due to the hapless Ian Donald. 

As for Milne being an incompetent idiot, I reckon most fans would disagree with you. He got the club through some rocky times and has given the best manager we've had in 30 years his full support.

He's a committed Dandy and has put a fair bit of his own wealth into the club.....meaning that due to his decisions the club is on the best financial footing since the days of auld Dick.

And oh aye, our team haven't been relegated.

10 years ago most Dons fans would have run him out of town. Now, I think most grudgingly respect and actually like him.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not necessarily in support of the decision, but I'd point out that Milne hasn't been involved in the club for 30 years. Only for around half that time. 

I would criticise the club for 2 major f*ck ups in the last 25 years. The first was spending a fortune on the white elephant that is the Big Dick without having a coherent plan for the development of the rest of the stadium.

The second is for not going all out to purchase the land at the back of the south stand to enable us to develop Pittodrie.

Milne was only to blame for one of them (arguably) the biggest though. The other was due to the hapless Ian Donald. 

As for Milne being an incompetent idiot, I reckon most fans would disagree with you. He got the club through some rocky times and has given the best manager we've had in 30 years his full support.

He's a committed Dandy and has put a fair bit of his own wealth into the club.....meaning that due to his decisions the club is on the best financial footing since the days of auld Dick.

And oh aye, our team haven't been relegated.

10 years ago most Dons fans would have run him out of town. Now, I think most grudgingly respect and actually like him.

Milne joined the board in 94 (24 years ago) became chairman in 98 (20 years ago) not 15 years

ETA he got the club through rocky times that he contributed to. During his term on the board/as chairman the club has run losses of something like £25M whereas it had previously never been in debt. The clearing of that debt, which made selling Pittodrie essential, was an utter fluke, not any great business move.

Please don't make him out to be something he ain't

Edited by EdTheDuck

Hibs fans just upset their dream move never happened.

1902: Hibernian consider moving to Aberdeen

It must be stressed that from during the period of 1892 onwards, Hibernian were only renting Easter Road, with Edinburgh City planners designating the land for future development. This meant that the Club were unwilling to fully develop the ground and therefore searched for alternative venues.

Hibernian actually considered relocating to Aberdeen in 1902, a year before Aberdeen Football Club was formed by a merger of three local clubs.

Also in 1909, work began on a potential new ground in the Piershill area of Edinburgh, but the North British Railway company won a court order allowing them to build a railway line over the ground. No line was ever built, but Hibernian's interest in moving to the site was thwarted.

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/heritage/the-ground