The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

You can make 1pm Sunday games from Glasgow/Stirling/Perth or the Inverness line, won't be possible at Kingsford.
You can make 12pm or later Sunday games from Edinburgh/Fife/Dundee/Angus/Stonehaven, won't be possible at Kingsford.
You can get back from midweek games South as far as Perth and anywhere up to Inverness at a push, won't be possible at Kingsford.

Between this and the bus situation, it seems that those of us without a car aren't welcome at Kingsford. Aberdeen is such a backwards city.

On further inspection, you can get a Megabus from Glasgow and be in Aberdeen before 11 on a Sunday - straight in a taxi and you’ll be there for KO.

It’s a bit of a moot point anyway, the reason you’d struggle to get to/from early KO’s or midweek games when you live 3 hours away is the public transport system, not because the ground is 6 miles away from the public transport hub in Aberdeen.

People will find a way that works for them and adjust their routine accordingly, you do what you need to do to get to the game. It’s going to be a ball ache for me personally, but so f**k - it’s for the greater good.

On further inspection, you can get a Megabus from Glasgow and be in Aberdeen before 11 on a Sunday - straight in a taxi and you’ll be there for KO.

It’s a bit of a moot point anyway, the reason you’d struggle to get to/from early KO’s or midweek games when you live 3 hours away is the public transport system, not because the ground is 6 miles away from the public transport hub in Aberdeen.

People will find a way that works for them and adjust their routine accordingly, you do what you need to do to get to the game. It’s going to be a ball ache for me personally, but so f**k - it’s for the greater good.

The taxi would cost more than the megabus!

If we’re looking to grow our support then we shouldn’t be making it more difficult to get to games. 8k at least will go regardless but spending nearly as much time on a shuttle bus as you do watching the game just to get from the centre of Aberdeen will put people off. People have other shite to do on a Saturday and if going to the game eats up 4/5 hours of that then many won’t bother. A lot of people say “just drive” but that’s going to make the already inadequate road infrastructure even more overcrowded. This isn’t about me missing games, the extra hassle will give reasons not to go. You can say they’re not “real fans” but they pay as much as everyone else when they do go.

11 hours ago, Hibernia said:

As with all stadium moves, there will be a surge in attendances for a season or two, before the novelty of travelling, and I can't repeat this enough, SIX MILES, to Kingsford wears off

Why would the surge in attendances last two years? Why would you go to games for two years - maybe 40+ games, and THEN decide you don't like it

Why would it not last 3/4 games before the novelty wore off?

If you're going regularly after two years, you're clearly enjoying it.

And not everyone lives six miles from the stadium or will have a six mile trip.

11 hours ago, strichener said:

I can see the City approving this with a condition requiring the provision of the bridge and then letting the Shire sink the whole project by refusing it.

Legally they would have to say what bridge (or alternative - an underpass perhaps) would be suitable. They couldn't say no without good reason. They can argue over the size of it.

11 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Aye but if that stadium was in Methven(6 miles outside Perth) would it still be the same? I think not.

Kingsford isn't six miles outside of Aberdeen. It's six miles from the city centre. It's within the city boundary.

10 hours ago, Hibernia said:

I'll reiterate again. If you are for Kingsford, then you are happy to see an important part of your club's history die, on very spurious grounds from a chairman who has repeatedly been shown to get things wrong in the past.

Hibs should not have rebuilt Easter Road. They should have retained the club's history. Now they have a stadium, strips, badge, slope and team that is unrecognisable with thirty years ago.

Just because the pitch is in the same spot, doesn't mean it's the same Easter Road. Same with Tynecastle. 

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Look at the St Mirren support on Saturday, or Motherwell, Celtic, Hibs, even R*ngers etc. The demographic above gets the singing going and creates a good atmosphere. AFC make no effort to accommodate this, home or away. That’s why our support is stale as f*ck.

The same St Mirren who moved from Love Street to a "soulless concrete new build" that was designed for families?

7 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

And this comes from someone who was previously pro-Kingsford.

6 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’m not against us moving to a good location, just not one as remote as Kingsford.

So you once backed that "remote" Kingsford location? 

So you once backed that "remote" Kingsford location? 

Kingsford will be the most remote major football stadium in the UK as it is outwith any centre of population and several miles from existing transport links. So yes, for a 20,000 capacity football stadium it is remote.

I backed it for similar reasons to most others, I wanted it to work for the club and recognised we need a new training and stadium solution after years of neglect from the board. Then I studied every document of the plans and saw that none of it added up, particularly the transport and matchday fan facilities. I’m happy to be proved wrong if/when the place opens but I can’t see it being an appealing experience, particularly for the 5-8000 that will use the shuttle buses every game.

25 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I backed it for similar reasons to most others, I wanted it to work for the club and recognised we need a new training and stadium solution after years of neglect from the board. Then I studied every document of the plans and saw that none of it added up, particularly the transport and matchday fan facilities. I’m happy to be proved wrong if/when the place opens but I can’t see it being an appealing experience, particularly for the 5-8000 that will use the shuttle buses every game.

Check the wishlist the DST has asked fans for. Hundreds of people asking for steep stands, despite them physically not being able to be any steeper. :lol:

Others asking for a tram or train. 

Given also the widespread belief it takes 10 minutes on a bus and at least 50% thinking they will be the ones that get in the warm bar, it should be utterly calamitous once reality dawns.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Similar comments were apparently made when we left Muirton. What's followed is the best era in our clubs history, and the stadium is in an absolutely perfect position next to the bypass and a huge new housing development, so large it's classes as a new village, which will see thousands of people moving in just minutes from it. 

In twenty years you'll probably find Kingsford is surrounded by houses. 

No its not. St Catherines Retail Park site would a perfect location as its close to the train and bus station as well as easy access to the Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dunkeld roads giving access/egress to the North, South, East and West.

The novelty of McDiarmid Park (a perfectly good facility) wore off less than 10years after its construction. St Johnstones attendances show this.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

No its not. St Catherines Retail Park site would a perfect location as its close to the train and bus station as well as easy access to the Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dunkeld roads giving access/egress to the North, South, East and West.

The novelty of McDiarmid Park (a perfectly good facility) wore off less than 10years after its construction. St Johnstones attendances show this.

Retail Park would be a disaster, it can take me an hour to get from one side of town to the other after my work, either way out of two. The set up of town is an absolute shitemare with traffic. McDiarmid gets you on the bypass almost instantly. Thanks for proving my point though, folk still moan about McDiarmids position, yet we're perfectly fine and managed to gain fans. 

St Johnstone attendances are higher than in the 70s/80s, there was a huge upsurge after the move, along with most clubs at that time, so don't get distracted by that. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, anotherchance said:

I’m in the same situation but I don’t expect the club to make allowances for me, given I live 3+ hours away.

There’s no train back to Glasgow after a midweek game, or one that gets you up in time for an early Sunday KO - no difference whether that’s Pittodrie or Kingsford, so that’s a Scotrail issue.

For those who do drive from the south by car, it’ll be a lot easier getting in and out on a matchday.

I take it you haven't read the transport assessment then?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Johnstone attendances are higher than in the 70s/80s, there was a huge upsurge after the move, along with most clubs at that time, so don't get distracted by that. 

St Johnstone pre Geoff Brown were verging on bankruptcy and playing part time at the wrong end of the seaside league.

The first season after the move (coinciding with winning promotion to the Premier Division) saw Saints average over 7000. These numbers were maintained under Totten but sharply fell away to what they are today......3000. Not great when you consider St Johnstone have just experienced their most sustained successful era in their history.

Edited by sjc

Check the wishlist the DST has asked fans for. Hundreds of people asking for steep stands, despite them physically not being able to be any steeper. :lol:
Others asking for a tram or train. 
Given also the widespread belief it takes 10 minutes on a bus and at least 50% thinking they will be the ones that get in the warm bar, it should be utterly calamitous once reality dawns.

I’ve seen it. The height of the stadium has already been reduced to appease the locals and the club said the internal design could be altered apart from the steepness of the stand.

A train/tram link won’t happen in Aberdeen any time soon and Westhill wouldn’t even be top of the list of places to be considered if it did. Not to mention that it would cost a lot more than the stadium itself!

It’ll be some race for one of the 430 spaces in the bar (which was decimated in capacity when they reduced the height). An outdoor pint in the “fanzone” will be pleasant for about 3 games a year.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

St Johnstone pre Geoff Brown were verging on bankruptcy and playing part time at the wrong end of the seaside league.

The first season after the move (coinciding with winning promotion to the Premier Division) saw Saints average over 7000. These numbers were maintained under Totten but sharply fell away to what they are today......3000. Not great when you consider St Johnstone have just experienced their most sustained successful era in their history.

Yes, but every smaller club in the country enjoyed a surge in crowds at that point. It genuinely infuriates me so many people use that era as some form of proof crowds are shite. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, but every smaller club in the country enjoyed a surge in crowds at that point. It genuinely infuriates me so many people use that era as some form of proof crowds are shite. 

By the same token, nearly every Club has seen their crowds surge since 2012......St Johnstone, despite their first ever trophy and regular top 6 finishes have seen theirs decrease.

I'm not slagging off Saints here. I'm from Perth originally and want to see them do well.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

By the same token, nearly every Club has seen their crowds surge since 2012......St Johnstone, despite their first ever trophy and regular top 6 finishes have seen theirs decrease.

I'm not slagging off Saints here. I'm from Perth originally and want to see them do well.

Our crowds this season are 2% higher than 2011/12. 

Not much of an increase but an increase nevertheless.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Our crowds this season are 2% higher than 2011/12. 

Not much of an increase but an increase nevertheless.

Hopefully that continues but that could be just down to the fixtures so far. Better to look at the season as a whole I'd say.