The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Only for absolute shan outfits who dont play their football in Scotland's industrial heartlands

Correct.  Aberdeen are about to become everything they hate about the St Johnstones of the world. 

Pittodrie is a dump though and their trainings facilities are an actual embarrassment to the Premier League.   It must be hard looking at other clubs who have completed their 20k plus stadiums and have invested in their own training facilities and not get jealous so I can see why they may be desperate for a slice of the action. 

Correct.  Aberdeen are about to become everything they hate about the St Johnstones of the world. 

Mcdiarmid Park is probably going to be bang in a local community within 20 years with all the redevelopments going on.

31 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

Pittodrie is a dump though and their trainings facilities are an actual embarrassment to the Premier League.   It must be hard looking at other clubs who have completed their 20k plus stadiums and have invested in their own training facilities and not get jealous so I can see why they may be desperate for a slice of the action. 

This is literally why we're doing it

Not sure why Hibs fans are so angry about the concept, however 

36 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

Pittodrie is a dump though and their trainings facilities are an actual embarrassment to the Premier League.  

Thank f**k we don't play in the Premier League then.

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

(*They have their own troubles of course, but I'd wager their ground getting sorted before AFC's does)

Quite an insight considering construction on Cove's ground is already underway and is due to finish at Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Menzel said:

So where in the city could a stadium go?

Did they ever consider the huge swathe of grass at the top of King Street just before the river? As someone who rarely makes it up for home games nowadays I realise my opinion on the matter isn't that important but must admit I have my doubts about moving to a soulless arena in the middle of nowhere. It was always a good day out going for pre and post match drinks and walking to the ground. If they really must built it in the middle of nowhere then the stadium itself needs to be built without further compromising the atmosphere with shallow stands etc to appease the locals.

It's pretty tough to label a stadium 'soulless' when it's only ever been seen on paper. As far as I'm aware the club tried on several occasions to procure land from the near vicinity as a site for the ground and were rebuffed. The one advantage of moving out to Kingsford would at least be having a half-decent training facility and everything there. It's not ideal but I don't think it's going to be as bad as a few folk think. 

6 minutes ago, Menzel said:

It's pretty tough to label a stadium 'soulless' when it's only ever been seen on paper. As far as I'm aware the club tried on several occasions to procure land from the near vicinity as a site for the ground and were rebuffed. The one advantage of moving out to Kingsford would at least be having a half-decent training facility and everything there. It's not ideal but I don't think it's going to be as bad as a few folk think. 

It's not really.  It's away from the life and soul of Aberdeen.  

26 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:

This is literally why we're doing it

Not sure why Hibs fans are so angry about the concept, however 

It's not anger mate it's baffling.

Why haven't you sorted the training out about 10 years ago when everyone else realised that sharing facilities on council pitches (aye the ones that don't like you) is shite? We built our own 10 years ago,  fantastic completed stadium too, why didn't Milne build you boys one? Our club did. 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Not recently because it's been hosting Championship football.

Sorry, didn't you see in when we knocked you out the league cup a year and a half ago? Or when it hosted the recent Scotland match? Apologies. 

Edited by Bambino7

We've shat all over the Edinburgh clubs for 5 years now. With their mishaps on the park, often in the lower tier, they've clung to the usual stadium arguments as a comfort blanket.

Regarding the out of town point: Hibs and Hearts are teams with ties to particular areas of their city. You wouldn't say any area of Aberdeen is more of a Dons stronghold than any other and 45% of season ticket holders stay outwith the city itself. AFC represents the whole of the North East as the only pro club in the area. We get criticised for not having a bigger support when we have a catchment area of 500,000 in the city and shire but with poor public transport infrastructure, many of these people have to fight through the 3rd most congested city in the UK to get to every game. The new ground will improve our attendances from these groups.