Arbroath vs Albion Rovers

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Hard to judge against such a poor side as Albion were. They showed absolutely nothing going forward. More of a challenge in Stranraer next week. 13 points from a possible 15 in our last 5 games is brilliant tho, even tho I don’t agree with the formation

Might not agree with the formation, bit results are the main thing.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I thought the main issue today I'm terms of creating goal scoring chances was that Wallace kept getting isolated wide with no strike partner the moves broke down. Would rather have had McIntosh starting up top with Wallace and I think we might have found chances easier to come by.

Agree that at the moment that is ny far our better partnership up front

I just love how there is always a player to pick on. Might have to take bets for whose turn it'll be next week.

Was Whatley for one of my mates

If Swankie had stayed on the full game it would’ve definitely have been him.

Guy in front of me was slating his every move, then when he pulled off that lovely back heel for the goal his mate wound him up about it, guy still said that you can’t give him credit for it.. chance ye got [emoji4]

Photographs and GoPro from today's match

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157669190765319

Side note - We are the only supporters in the country who could be arguing and moaning about having too many good players! I think we have the smallest squad in the league (Albion Rovers had  at least 3 injured players in the stand and a full quota of 18 listed ) and it's the most talented pool of players I can remember.   With two midweeks games looming we will be playing 3 games in a week twice so hopefully the depth will get us through.

IMG_8488 copy.jpg

I think maybe one of the reasons some fans are moaning about the squad is potentially due to the money spent? We've paid out for 3 transfer fees this season, and we pay very good wages (infact I'd be very surprised if our bench yesterday wasn't more than Albion's entire wage budget) and therefore I think people are expecting to be dazzled by us every week.

The main priority is winning games of football, which we are doing, but it would be nice if we tried to entertain a bit more considering the players we have and pay good money too. Ultimately though it is down to results, and 13 points out of 15 in the league is an excellent run of form regardless of how we've played/ lined up etc. in those games.

Side note - We are the only supporters in the country who could be arguing and moaning about having too many good players! I think we have the smallest squad in the league (Albion Rovers had  at least 3 injured players in the stand and a full quota of 18 listed ) and it's the most talented pool of players I can remember.   With two midweeks games looming we will be playing 3 games in a week twice so hopefully the depth will get us through.

5a76630c19dd8_IMG_8488copy.thumb.jpg.1c6c63520c466a32f915e2edbbdf50b3.jpg

That Albion lad was some player

I think maybe one of the reasons some fans are moaning about the squad is potentially due to the money spent? We've paid out for 3 transfer fees this season, and we pay very good wages (infact I'd be very surprised if our bench yesterday wasn't more than Albion's entire wage budget) and therefore I think people are expecting to be dazzled by us every week.
The main priority is winning games of football, which we are doing, but it would be nice if we tried to entertain a bit more considering the players we have and pay good money too. Ultimately though it is down to results, and 13 points out of 15 in the league is an excellent run of form regardless of how we've played/ lined up etc. in those games.

That first paragraph a wind up?

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

That first paragraph a wind up?

No :lol: Have no idea what part you could think was a wind up?!? :blink:

I'm simply saying because of the money we've spent/ are spending I think some people suddenly think we should be hammering teams every week with attack after attack. Looking at the posts on this thread that seems to be fair comment, no? Also stating the obvious that we have a far bigger budget than Albion, impossible for there to by any argument on that front.

No :lol: Have no idea what part you could think was a wind up?!? :blink: I'm simply saying because of the money we've spent/ are spending I think some people suddenly think we should be hammering teams every week with attack after attack. Looking at the posts on this thread that seems to be fair comment, no? Also stating the obvious that we have a far bigger budget than Albion, impossible for there to by any argument on that front.

Ozzie was on the wind up.

You think our bench yesterday was on more than the entire Albion squad? SBC said they have 21 players.

So Ricky Gomes, Josh Skelly, Kane Hester, Linn, Denholm, Yule and McIntosh will be making more than 21 Albion Rovers players? Really?

Guys like Jason Marr, Graeme Holmes, Alan Trouten won’t be that far off the same weekly wage as some of our best earners for a start surely?

I’ve no doubt we have a better budget but surely that’s over playing it big time. Also like I said last week our budget could be anywhere from 3rd-6th in the league, probably 3rd-5th now Stranraer are doomed, nobody knows. But it’s certainly not more than Ayrs or Raiths and they’ve both laboured against Albion this season, Raith have been beaten.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

1 - So Ricky Gomes, Josh Skelly, Kane Hester, Linn, Denholm, Yule and McIntosh will be making more than the entire Albion squad? Really?

2 - Guys like Jason Marr, Graeme Holmes, Alan Trouten won’t be that far off the same weekly wage as some of our best earners for a start surely?

I’ve no doubt we have a better budget but surely that’s over playing it big time. Also like I said last week our budget could be anywhere from 3rd-6th in the league, probably 3rd-5th now Stranraer are doomed, nobody knows. But it’s certainly not more than Ayrs or Raiths and they’ve both laboured against Albion this season, Raith have been beaten.

Bit in bold a very good point and I think people should keep that in mind. The top two have lost to several teams who spend a lot less than them and are part time compared to their full time. If they struggle against teams in the bottom half at times, we are obviously going to do so also. All the wanky cliches of 'anyone can beat anyone', 'no easy games in this division', 'it's 11 v 11 at the end of the day' etc. are very true of this season as we've shown beating Ayr twice at Somerset while also struggling against teams like East Fife and Albion previously.

1 - Yes, I think so. Maybe not more and just roughly the same.

2 - None of those players will be getting paid close to our top earners IMO.  The idea of Albion chucking 3/400 quid a week at multiple players in their current predicament would see them fucked within a few months I'd have thought. Albion must have roughly a third of the income we have as a club, so based on that you'd expect our wage bill to be roughly 3 times what there's is. Outside of the 3 you've mentioned, and a couple of others a large chunk of Albion's squad is made up of development loans/ their own youth players which will be costing them very little. I'm fairly certain they actually said at the start of the season their plan was to have half a dozen good solid professionals to build around with the rest being filler from loans/ youth team/ few other signings from lower leagues. Can any Albion fans correct me/ confirm what I'm saying here? Obviously they will know the makeup of their own squad much better than me...

An example of us spending a lot on wages is having two proper keepers. A lot of teams in this league have 1 keeper and a youth/ development loan keeper. Do we  think Ricky Gomes, who hasn't played in 6 months (for various reasons, not having a go at him or the manager for that; it was/is an unfortunate situation) will be on 25 quid a week after signing on for this year on the back of his performances last year? He'll be on a first team wage, but isn't playing any football for us.

Anyway - we could go back and forth on this all day and it would be rather pointless as no-one knows everyone's wages and even if they did they shouldn't be posting that info on here. I'm just trying to point out why some fans may seem negative despite winning games of football because they feel we should be entertaining a bit more due to spending cash/ building up such a good squad with a variety of entertaining players. As I said, personally I would like to see us use our entertaining more creative players in their best positions but we're on an excellent run and are getting results, which ultimately is the most important thing in football. 13 points out of 15 is excellent regardless of players used/ subs/ formations etc. and keeping that run going is more important than anything else. However, over time I would be disappointed if we went down a route of the entertainers leaving/ benched long term to be replaced by solid 'does a job' type players.

5a76630c19dd8_IMG_8488copy.thumb.jpg.1c6c63520c466a32f915e2edbbdf50b3.jpg

To be fair you can’t really compare us and Albion Rovers squad size-They have a youth system they can take players from to fill the bench.

38 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

2 - None of those players will be getting paid close to our top earners IMO.  The idea of Albion chucking 3/400 quid a week at multiple players in their current predicament would see them fucked within a few months I'd have thought. Albion must have roughly a third of the income we have as a club, so based on that you'd expect our wage bill to be roughly 3 times what there's is. Outside of the 3 you've mentioned, and a couple of others a large chunk of Albion's squad is made up of development loans/ their own youth players which will be costing them very little. I'm fairly certain they actually said at the start of the season their plan was to have half a dozen good solid professionals to build around with the rest being filler from loans/ youth team/ few other signings from lower leagues. Can any Albion fans correct me/ confirm what I'm saying here? Obviously they will know the makeup of their own squad much better than me...

You're spot on. The manager chose to front-load his budget, spending a bit more on experienced semi-pros, and then back-filling with young guys from our U20s or youngsters who didn't make it at other clubs. We've also now taken on three loanees and an amateur to cover for the inevitable injuries.

Absolutely nobody is getting 3-400 quid a week.

Couldn’t disagree more Simon, and I know Gomes won’t be on 25 quid a week, Nicky Smith was on more as an 18 year old back in the day [emoji1]

He will be on a first team wage but not every first team player will be getting 300 a week.

No way whatsoever the wages on our bench yesterday added up to the whole Albion Rovers squad wage.

Hilarious how the conversation has come to this because we played well and won too and there’s nothing else to moan about

3-5-2 is shite

Get Omar off

Bobby Linn should be on

McKenna can’t replace McCord

We need more defenders

Our in game management is terrible

Swankie is a waste of money

Get Gomes on Hutton out

League 1 Form Guide
Points Last Six

Arbroath 14
Alloa Athletic 11
Raith Rovers 11
Stranraer 10
Airdrie 9
Forfar Athletic 9
East Fife 8
Ayr Utd 7
Queens Park 3
Albion Rovers 2

3-5-2 is shite

Get Omar off

Bobby Linn should be on

McKenna can’t replace McCord

We need more defenders

Our in game management is terrible

Swankie is a waste of money

Get Gomes on Hutton out

League 1 Form Guide
Points Last Six

Arbroath 14
Alloa Athletic 11
Raith Rovers 11
Stranraer 10
Airdrie 9
Forfar Athletic 9
East Fife 8
Ayr Utd 7
Queens Park 3
Albion Rovers 2

Love this comment! Your on the ball loon

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think maybe one of the reasons some fans are moaning about the squad is potentially due to the money spent?

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hilarious how the conversation has come to this because we played well and won too and there’s nothing else to moan about

The above quote is the first sentence I said on this.

I am not 'moaning' about anything. I am trying to explain why some fans might be 'moaning'. Maybe a lot of this perceived 'moaning' is actually people expressing a difference of opinion on a football forum anyway?

People will view things differently. We've just disagreed about something that neither of us can openly prove to be correct on. It is a difference of opinion.

Different opinion to yourself != 'moaning'

The above quote is the first sentence I said on this.

I am not 'moaning' about anything. I am trying to explain why some fans might be 'moaning'. Maybe a lot of this perceived 'moaning' is actually people expressing a difference of opinion on a football forum anyway?

People will view things differently. We've just disagreed about something that neither of us can openly prove to be correct on. It is a difference of opinion.

Different opinion to yourself != 'moaning'

Moaning = complain or grumble, typically about something trivial = a few of the opinions on here

Archived