Edinburgh Bars

Cumdog35

21 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Right in August eh will be in Edinburgh for the military tattoo. What pubs near the castle or walking distance are good bet to go to ?

All the pubs around there will be heaving before and after the tattoo. You'll be as well going for a drink in the Grassmarket and walking up Upper Bow.

I think I've been in there.  Is that the one with the Real Betis flag pinned to the ceiling?

I don’t think so, there isn’t anything football related in there I don’t think. It’s just tacky wooden furniture and dodgy urinals as far as I remember.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

All the pubs around there will be heaving before and after the tattoo. You'll be as well going for a drink in the Grassmarket and walking up Upper Bow.

Thought it was more the tea and scones brigade. Although I suppose the squaddies will be a bit thirsty after.

16 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t think so, there isn’t anything football related in there I don’t think. It’s just tacky wooden furniture and dodgy urinals as far as I remember.

I must be thinking of somewhere else.  I'm sure the place I was thinking of was on Lothian Road and was mostly lime green inside.

I must be thinking of somewhere else.  I'm sure the place I was thinking of was on Lothian Road and was mostly lime green inside.

The Betis flag rings a bell for some reason but I can’t think where that is. Maybe Shakespeare’s?

Its no "Foot of the Walk" amirite?

There’s nothing wrong with the foot of the walk and no regular in there would look down on me for going in there for a couple of beers in my Lonsdale after my Saturday morning swim.

If for any reason you find yourself near the Commie Pool, The Salisbury is a lovely big half pub/half restaurant. Big comfy tweed sofas, open fire, wood floor etc and loads of good beers and spirits.

What had been a student type big pub on Brunstfield Links recently reopened as Black Ivy and it’s lovely for boozing or grub. Lots of outside seating too. 

The bow bar. Was in there before a gig at the liquid rooms, they were selling a malt for £4.50 a nip. The same stuff that cost me £20 for a bottle in Tesco.

7 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

The Canny Mans in Morningside is a great pub.  

Full of character, proper old man's pub (plaque outside the door says "No Smoking, No Credit Cards, No Phones and No Backpackers") :lol:

It’s the sort of place where a day or so later you’re still thinking “did that happen or did I just eat some strong cheese before bed?”.

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Hanging Bat can sook a root.  Only serve beer in schooners regardless of the ABV of the drink and the guy behind the bar told me with a straight face that it was so guys can sup their drinks at the same rate as a girl with a cocktail.

Booze Nazi, it should be all about the choice. If I want to neck two hipster beers (I'm guessing the vitamin T isn't on the menu) to someone else's cocktail  that's a personal choice. Or vice versa of course.  :D

44 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Full of character, proper old man's pub (plaque outside the door says "No Smoking, No Credit Cards, No Phones and No Backpackers") :lol:

That place went through a stage when only regulars were allowed in. There was a bit of uproar in the papers about it when they refused to let a disabled person in.

I was in there one Saturday afternoon when they used to have go go dancers on stage, a drunk guy groped the dancer and the whole place turned into a riot. The girl booted the drunk in the face with her big stilettos, drink and tables went everywhere and a load of police turned up. The drunk guy had done a runner so the cops questioned everyone in the place to try and find him. Think they caught him shortly afterwards just up the road in the Merlin. Don’t know what happened to him though.

4 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

The late landlord was a bit idiosyncratic- if he didn't like your face you got banned. My old man didn't care for the Canny Man's "overpriced with a twat of a landlord" so he tended to drink in Bennetts across the road- a small, perfectly formed bar in Maxwell Street. 

I'd recommend various city centre boozers with real ale but as yer all Tennents drinkers I won't! :cheers