XFL back!

thekorean

In terms of timing for organising a rival football league it couldn't be any worse. With the spate of concussions, greater player concerns about injury insurance (Rather than WWE's independent contractor BS) and a general decline of people playing football causing a talent pool that is already sparse enough as it is. It's hard to see it getting off the ground and surely no major US broadcaster or advertiser is going to touch a brand that was such a joke last time. It just screams of Vince McMahon having a massive chip on his shoulder about the last attempt and is being taken over by his ego. 

That's not to say it might not be a total failure. The NFL CBA expires around the time the reboot is meant to start with a lockout more than possible, the NFL's reputation is at an all time low and the NCAA's influence is less than it was as well. If he learns from last time and gives teams time to learn the new rules along with players and fans probably being more willing to be more sports entertainment than 17 years ago. It probably would have done better if he hadn't attempted the first one, but the core flaw is that American Football fans don't want WWE  and WWE fans don't want to watch American Football.

• 2 months later...

Just watched an ESPN 30 for 30 on this. Find myself quite intrigued by it which is strange as I hate weestling and not really in to American football. I also quite enjoyed the who killed the NAFL by ESPN, was done a few years ago and Trump was blamed mainly for its failure. 

Archived