Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

47 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Fair play for admitting to liking McIntyre.

I would rather be executed by sledgehammer like the Wagner Group boys do than go and see him

Well not exactly what I said but It's an hour of time. That's nuhin. I am sure I'll laugh once or twice.

31 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Stewart Lee is funny.

On 23/02/2023 at 14:01, FK1Bairn said:

Went to see John Bishop and Kevin Bridges last year. I found Bishop far better than Bridges who I really struggled to find funny. 

In defence of Bridges, it was the same week the Queen died and he started off with a rant about the person who filmed him saying his bit at his first show about the Queen dying and how we'd be led by "a wee dug". He also had manflu.  I had also watched clips of him on YouTube and Comedy Central on the week leading up to seeing him and had maybe overdone it. 

Got tickets to see Michael McIntyre next year but I don't know if he's also somebody who lives off his reputation from 5-10 years ago

Saw McIntyre early on in his career in Carlisle. He was actually pretty funny but I don't think I could stomach him now. His reliance on bobbing his hair up and down boils my piss for one. Was listening to a podcast the other week (Desert Island Dicks) and a guy pointed out that he never actually tells any jokes. He just points things out and milks it dry - eg. "The Man Drawer" routine. 

Saw John Bishop in Carlisle as well and thought he was pretty shit tbh. Have seen Bridges a couple of times and thought he was hilarious but I've noticed he seems to emphasise every single word he says when he speaks. He doesn't do it as much in his earlier shows but now I've noticed it I don't think I'd be able to watch an entire show. 

19 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I love stand up comedy. I find it is very divisive. 
I can not really like someone but understand why folk do.
I went to see Jerry Sadowitz recently and having seen him before I appreciated his self deprecating intelligence but this time it was (even more) full of gammons and he played up to it with out the previous comeback around that he had in the past.

I don't think I could do big arena shows. I must be the only c**t in Scotland who hasn't been to a Kevin Bridges show. The Hydro is too big for stand up. ( That and Bridges isnae very funny. I also hate his delivery, " I...am...a..normal..guy...fae...Glasgow.)" 

I have to admit anaw. I am due to see Michael McIntyre in about two weeks. Xmas present for the missus and I'm going. 

I've not seen him at all in any venue!

I like the snippets Gary Mickle posts on social media. Was going to try and see him this year.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Saw McIntyre early on in his career in Carlisle. He was actually pretty funny but I don't think I could stomach him now. His reliance on bobbing his hair up and down boils my piss for one. Was listening to a podcast the other week (Desert Island Dicks) and a guy pointed out that he never actually tells any jokes. He just points things out and milks it dry - eg. "The Man Drawer" routine. 

Saw John Bishop in Carlisle as well and thought he was pretty shit tbh. Have seen Bridges a couple of times and thought he was hilarious but I've noticed he seems to emphasise every single word he says when he speaks. He doesn't do it as much in his earlier shows but now I've noticed it I don't think I'd be able to watch an entire show. 

Stolen from Still Game.

On 22/02/2023 at 22:43, Grant228 said:

On the flipside I was in a pub in the Grassmarket which was doing a show upstairs, a reasonably funny comedian brought on three acts foe there first time, only about 20-30 people in the room but it was just simply not funny, you found yourself laughing though through pity. Wouldn't do again. 

The Beehive? 

I was at a show there with the same format. The compere came on wearing a sailor's hat and I knew right away that it was going to be a cringe-fest.

I wasn't wrong. Three student types each came on to do ten minutes each and I genuinely think I could have picked three random folk out of the audience who would have been funnier.

I didn't even sympathy laugh as they wouldn't have learned. 

Been watching a few Youtube videos of Mark Nelson and really enjoying his stuff.  Haven't seen his name about and as I live down South I wasn't sure how well known he was up the road?

He's got a bit of Kevin Bridges but a bit edgier and also a wee bit Frankie Boyle but again not going down the full on extreme comedy for shocks route.  Probably somewhere between the two.

Seems like a decent c*nt too.   Did a great routine about Scotland and England football and when asked if he'd support Russia over England he says "mate, I'd support and Al-Qaeda/Paedophilia XI if they were playing England - the only tough decision would be whether to get Saville or Bin Laden on the back of the top".

Agree what folk are saying about Kevin bridges.  I would no way go and see him now. I saw him in Leicester years ago at a really small venue(with Jon Richardson supporting!) and he was great. But I think over a certain venue size comedy doesn't work and like anything the more people in attendance the more chance of d*ckheads ruining it.

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

The Beehive? 

I was at a show there with the same format. The compere came on wearing a sailor's hat and I knew right away that it was going to be a cringe-fest.

I wasn't wrong. Three student types each came on to do ten minutes each and I genuinely think I could have picked three random folk out of the audience who would have been funnier.

I didn't even sympathy laugh as they wouldn't have learned. 

I'm not massively familiar with the Grassmarket but a quick Google says you're right on the money, the beehive it was

In hindsight you might be correct with the sympathy laugh, there's every chance the three I seen walked away thinking they'd done well because I giving it the big haw haws. Apologies if anyone runs into them. 

I've seem a few big names and they were pretty much as you'd expect. Dara O'Briain was good but if you've seen a set or you've seen him on a char show then it's very much the same kinda stuff. Bill Bailley was funny in a chaotic way with some random music.

Two biggest disappointments were Eddie Izzard and Ed Byrne. Izzard wasn't him - it was at the SSEC in one of the big halls and the seating is the temporary bleacher type so whenever anyone got up to go to the bar (an annoyance anyway), the whole block made a noise and then near the end loafs of people left (presumably to beat the rush in the car park?) which meant we couldn't see or hear the encore. Byrne was good the first time (in Queens Hall I think?) but when I saw him a few years later in the Playhouse there wasn't much in the way of new material (other than his "mother" appearing on a scooter at one point and calling everyone in the audience c***s). So not so good. 

Friend of mine from the football who was quite witty and sharp had a spot at a comedy club one night. Got one guffaw from one joke from one patron (a joke about using cum rather than milk on cornflakes, IIRC) but that was as good as it got.

21 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I've seem a few big names and they were pretty much as you'd expect. Dara O'Briain was good but if you've seen a set or you've seen him on a char show then it's very much the same kinda stuff. Bill Bailley was funny in a chaotic way with some random music.

Two biggest disappointments were Eddie Izzard and Ed Byrne. Izzard wasn't him - it was at the SSEC in one of the big halls and the seating is the temporary bleacher type so whenever anyone got up to go to the bar (an annoyance anyway), the whole block made a noise and then near the end loafs of people left (presumably to beat the rush in the car park?) which meant we couldn't see or hear the encore. Byrne was good the first time (in Queens Hall I think?) but when I saw him a few years later in the Playhouse there wasn't much in the way of new material (other than his "mother" appearing on a scooter at one point and calling everyone in the audience c***s). So not so good. 

Friend of mine from the football who was quite witty and sharp had a spot at a comedy club one night. Got one guffaw from one joke from one patron (a joke about using cum rather than milk on cornflakes, IIRC) but that was as good as it got.

I saw Ed Byrne doing and winning open mic in the comedy tent at Glastonbury in the early nineties and found him absolutely hilarious. Admittedly i also found the toilets and an electricity pylon really funny that day too. Don't do drugs kids. 

Eddie Izzard: meh

Russell Brand: awful, but no-one is surprised by that

Ricky Gervais: alright, just a shame that some folk missed the point on his gender stuff

Bill Bailey: good

Frankie Boyle: excellent 

Flight of the Conchords: excellent

Stephen Lynch: excellent 

Tom Greene: as expected

Lee Evans: excellent

Edited by mathematics

On 27/02/2023 at 12:28, Salvo Montalbano said:

I've seem a few big names and they were pretty much as you'd expect. Dara O'Briain was good but if you've seen a set or you've seen him on a char show then it's very much the same kinda stuff. Bill Bailley was funny in a chaotic way with some random music.Two biggest disappointments were Eddie Izzard and Ed Byrne. 

Byrne did the Courier Business Awards this year and was pretty shite. Thankfully I was uproariously drunk at the time.

On 27/02/2023 at 00:47, Busta Nut said:

Well not exactly what I said but It's an hour of time. That's nuhin. I am sure I'll laugh once or twice

I’m not sure you will.

Seen him at the SECC around a decade back, ex missus liked his stuff. I think I smiled twice, once when I got a pint and once when he said he was finished.

ETA:

Seen almost f**k all stand up since moving here. Jimmy Carr in Zürich maybe 4 years ago is the only one I can think of. Generally you just don’t get many English speaking acts playing here.

Edited by Ross.

I went to see mark Nelson in Aberdeen last month,  all in all thought he was good .

Better than the support act,  they were as funny as life support.

Gary Delaney is good if you like that kind of one liners.

And I really enjoyed Paul McCaffrey too, hopefully he returns to Aberdeen again.

On 27/02/2023 at 00:36, 19QOS19 said:

Saw John Bishop in Carlisle as well and thought he was pretty shit tbh. 

I saw him in Aberdeen (Xmas present, or something) and can only remember some very long winded anecdote of his about becoming 'famous' that nobody laughed at (I think that his punchline was so underwhelming that everybody was waiting for something else to follow), and it was incredibly awkward for him. The sort of thing where there's dead silence for a few secs before a handful of middle aged folk gave him a sympathy clap.

On 27/02/2023 at 08:28, fuzzydunlop said:

Been watching a few Youtube videos of Mark Nelson and really enjoying his stuff.  Haven't seen his name about and as I live down South I wasn't sure how well known he was up the road?

Fairly well now, he's had his own show on Radio Scotland for a couple of years. Plays a mean guitar too.

16 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Byrne did the Courier Business Awards this year and was pretty shite. Thankfully I was uproariously drunk at the time.

^^^

the-fast-show-rowley-birkin.gif