Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

I went to see Jim Davidson after 15 years ago at the Playhouse in Edinburgh. I previously thought he was quite amusing and an entertainer (in a 1990s way). You could tell even then he was at the arse- end of his career and it was a bit of a slog enduring his show. Of course, since then he has gone full-on GB News in his views. 

I went to Kevin Bridges last two shows at the Hydro and frankly thought he was living off his breakthrough first show from a few years ago. I didn’t really find too many laughs or original material funny tbh, especially last year. Plenty of halfwits in the crowd and the queue outside, all shouting wildly to their mates and laughing like hyenas. Probably the Charlie kicking in.

Maybe full scale comedy shows aren’t for me. 

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Seen Andy Parsons and David Doherty years back at the Fringe, both were very good.

Seen Kevin Bridges at the Hydro too which was good but too many p***ks let out for the day screaming random lines from his old material like “gies a quid or yer getting stabbed” etc 

I listen to the Have a word podcast a fair bit and Adam Rowe is pretty good. Would like to see him live but doubt any of my mates would be up for it

Saw him at the Fringe must be 5 years ago. It was the year he won "Joke of the Fringe" with something along the lines of...

"It must be shit if you get sacked from working in the Job Centre knowing you still have to go in the next day".

Went to see Stewart Lee the other week and he was great, have always wanted to see him. Have seen Reginald D Hunter, Bill Bailey, "John Shuttleworth", Rich Hall and Dylan Moran, off the top of my head, all good but Lee my all-time favourite.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Went to see Stewart Lee the other week and he was great, have always wanted to see him. Have seen Reginald D Hunter, Bill Bailey, "John Shuttleworth", Rich Hall and Dylan Moran, off the top of my head, all good but Lee my all-time favourite.

I managed to get a stalls ticket for the Thursday night at the King's.

I saw him last year doing Snowflake/Tornado having seen the embryonic Tornado at the Fringe 4 years ago.

Have also seen "If You'd Prefer a Milder Comedian" (the Top Gear diatribe) at the Leicester Square Theatre, "Carpet Remnant World" and "Content Provider" at The Assembly Rooms, and a WIP for his Comedy Vehicle at The Stand in Edinburgh.

Carpet Remnant World is his apotheosis, a brilliantly crafted 2 hours full of call backs and a superb ending.

However, I love this bit when he recorded "If You'd Prefer a Milder Comedian" at the Citizen's in Glasgow.

This is 2 months after I'd seen it in London so I knew what was coming but this guy in the front row is tremendous.

Spoiler

Yer two stamps short of a coffee

I saw Gary Meikle a few months ago doing a work in progress show in Lanark, admittedly I hadn't heard  of him before but the missus had bought tickets as she was following him on social media. It was terrible, if there was such a thing as a hen do comedy show this was it, I'll give the benefit of the doubt as it was WIP but wouldn't go see him again 

On 21/02/2023 at 01:34, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Jim Jefferies in Edinburgh next month.  Was hoping to see John Kearns, absolutely loved him on taskmaster, at Glasgow stand but I'm away then unfortunately 

I watched him on Netflix in his Intolerant show just on Monday.  Pretty funny albeit near the bone in terms of language and I watched to the end which isn't always the case with Netflix stand-up comedies.  

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Carpet Remnant World is his apotheosis, a brilliantly crafted 2 hours full of call backs and a superb ending.

However, I love this bit when he recorded "If You'd Prefer a Milder Comedian" at the Citizen's in Glasgow.

This is 2 months after I'd seen it in London so I knew what was coming but this guy in the front row is tremendous.

Reveal hidden contents

Yer two stamps short of a coffee

I was at that show.  

ETA: someone mentioned Reginald D Hunter.  I saw him at the Pavilion years ago. Someone in work had spare tickets going and he was someone I'd quite enjoyed on the TV. It was a really weird show.  He seemed to die on his arse and he knew it, did about 60 mins and ended it very abruptly.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Big Arena shows are like seeing it on telly but not as good. Would much rather see someone I’ve not heard of do a slot at a club, can be a bit hit and miss but the hits are great. 

Saying that, the last couple of comedians I’ve seen have been at corporate events so I’m clearly miles from the cutting edge. Got an award from Tom Allen. 

Been to more than what I thought. 

Seen Lee Evans on his final tour at the SECC, probably not for me really. Not sure if it was the act or the venue size. 

Seen Kevin Bridges twice, once at the playhouse and once in Newcastle in a similar sized venue, I thought he was v decent but the crowd at the Edinburgh one were insufferable, kept shouting out lines from his previous shows etc. 

Seen Jimmy Carr and thought he was OK, the tickets were free. Think he was at his best when interacting with the crowd, outwith that it just felt like he kept banging out one liners with no real structure. 

The most I enjoyed one was probably at the comedy club in London for a charity function, with it being a small venue the acts who were all decent seemed to have a good mix of there set, plus crowd interaction, certainly the most I've enjoyed one. Ivo Graham was probably the most well known? 

On the flipside I was in a pub in the Grassmarket which was doing a show upstairs, a reasonably funny comedian brought on three acts foe there first time, only about 20-30 people in the room but it was just simply not funny, you found yourself laughing though through pity. Wouldn't do again. 

Went to see John Bishop and Kevin Bridges last year. I found Bishop far better than Bridges who I really struggled to find funny. 

In defence of Bridges, it was the same week the Queen died and he started off with a rant about the person who filmed him saying his bit at his first show about the Queen dying and how we'd be led by "a wee dug". He also had manflu.  I had also watched clips of him on YouTube and Comedy Central on the week leading up to seeing him and had maybe overdone it. 

Got tickets to see Michael McIntyre next year but I don't know if he's also somebody who lives off his reputation from 5-10 years ago

On 20/02/2023 at 17:34, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Jim Jefferies in Edinburgh next month.  Was hoping to see John Kearns, absolutely loved him on taskmaster, at Glasgow stand but I'm away then unfortunately 

Used to be hilarious, then seemed to sell himself to be media friendly in the US

I love stand up comedy. I find it is very divisive. 
I can not really like someone but understand why folk do.
I went to see Jerry Sadowitz recently and having seen him before I appreciated his self deprecating intelligence but this time it was (even more) full of gammons and he played up to it with out the previous comeback around that he had in the past.

I don't think I could do big arena shows. I must be the only c**t in Scotland who hasn't been to a Kevin Bridges show. The Hydro is too big for stand up. ( That and Bridges isnae very funny. I also hate his delivery, " I...am...a..normal..guy...fae...Glasgow.)" 

I have to admit anaw. I am due to see Michael McIntyre in about two weeks. Xmas present for the missus and I'm going. 

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I love stand up comedy. I find it is very divisive. 
I can not really like someone but understand why folk do.
I went to see Jerry Sadowitz recently and having seen him before I appreciated his self deprecating intelligence but this time it was (even more) full of gammons and he played up to it with out the previous comeback around that he had in the past.

I don't think I could do big arena shows. I must be the only c**t in Scotland who hasn't been to a Kevin Bridges show. The Hydro is too big for stand up. ( That and Bridges isnae very funny. I also hate his delivery, " I...am...a..normal..guy...fae...Glasgow.)" 

I have to admit anaw. I am due to see Michael McIntyre in about two weeks. Xmas present for the missus and I'm going. 

Fair play for admitting to liking McIntyre.

I would rather be executed by sledgehammer like the Wagner Group boys do than go and see him