Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

Breakneck Comedy (the club in Aberdeen),  has actually been pretty good.
3 comics and a compere and the the compere and at least two of the acts each time I have been ( about half a dozen times) have made me laugh, normally one crap one each time.
Headline acts do 30-60mins, the rest ( compere - act - compere - act - compere), only do 10-30 mins each bit so it varied and breaks for beer.
It a good night out as only a tenner or fifteen quid and different from the pub.

The idea of going to a massive arena like the SEC to see John Bishop or similar for a 2 or 3 hour show doesn't appeal.

I was going to mention breakneck but I haven’t been since they opened their own premises so not sure if it’s changed. Went a few times to the blue lamp and was always a pretty good standard. I’ve also been to see a few “big” comedians in arenas, ultimately their material is better (imo) but I prefer the smaller, intimate settings - same with music really.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

I was going to mention breakneck but I haven’t been since they opened their own premises so not sure if it’s changed. Went a few times to the blue lamp and was always a pretty good standard. I’ve also been to see a few “big” comedians in arenas, ultimately their material is better (imo) but I prefer the smaller, intimate settings - same with music really.

New venue, well laid and very good.

Same formats and standards. Just get in early for a seat, same as all comedy venues, if it says doors open at 8, be there for 8 is the way.

New venue, well laid and very good.
Same formats and standards. Just get in early for a seat, same as all comedy venues, if it says doors open at 8, be there for 8 is the way.

Hopefully convince a mate or two to check it out soon!

I had a fucking bellpiece behind me talking for a bit but otherwise enjoyed it, the roasting that blonde bird got from the warm up was fucking hilarious. As was Rock's glass in the vanilla ice cream to prepare his kids to be scared of white bit. Like music it's just not as good in a venue that big though.
Were you sitting in the top tier couple of rows from the back? There was a complete walloper practically shouting most of the way through it and people round about telling him to shut the f**k up. Even the security came up to tell him to fck up.

Were you sitting in the top tier couple of rows from the back? There was a complete walloper practically shouting most of the way through it and people round about telling him to shut the f**k up. Even the security came up to tell him to fck up.

nah lowest tear to the right as you look at the stage. just cringe shite like shouting 'scoooootland' and yer maw jokes. then whistling like f**k at various points and trying to conduct a 'quiet conversation' but with the booze amplifier on. it was only unbearable for about 10 mins, had shows ruined way more by other inconsiderate wannabe funny drunk c***s.

nah lowest tear to the right as you look at the stage. just cringe shite like shouting 'scoooootland' and yer maw jokes. then whistling like f**k at various points and trying to conduct a 'quiet conversation' but with the booze amplifier on. it was only unbearable for about 10 mins, had shows ruined way more by other inconsiderate wannabe funny drunk c***s.
Rock was really funny but I pissed myself more at the roasting of the audience members on stage by the warm-up.[emoji23]

Some of my mates keep saying I should do a stand up show. Part of me thinks "oh ho, I'll be a nice harmless family friendly show". The other part of me thinks "Just do a full Sadowitz tribute act".. 

At one show, Sadowitz spat in the face of a drunken heckler who was constantly interrupting the show. His final act was to strip naked and run across the stage, prompting a mixture of disgust and hilarity from the audience. The Herald newspaper described the show as featuring "Pyrotechnical swearing. Lavatorial straining noises. Wanton foodstuff-smearing. Simulated sodomy. Gratuitous adoption of Indian accents, plus spitting, shouting, and penile dismemberment".

Although the thought of getting smacked by a big Canuck doesn't appeal.. 

"In 1991, Sadowitz was knocked unconscious by an irate audience member during a performance at the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal, where he mocked French Canadians, starting with the greeting "Hello moosefuckers! I tell you why I hate Canada, half of you speak French, and the other half let them." The rarely quoted follow up line, which Sadowitz claims is what actually led to him being attacked was "Why don't you speak Indian? You might as well speak the language of the people you stole the country off of in the first place."

Perhaps myself, The Serge, Melanius Trump and Zen Karcher could form a wordplay act and call ourselves "The Cunning Punts".. 

On 24/01/2018 at 23:48, The OP said:

Just went to see Chris Rock and it was good but there was a bit where he talks about going to Easterhouse. It’s so clear he said “quick, gimme the name of a shithole” before going on stage and he does the same bit in every town. Folk fucking lap it up.

This Mayor Quimby, he's some golfer...

• 5 years later...

I know this is a monumental bump, but thought I'd search before making a new topic.

Anyone been to any shows recently or got any coming up? Me and Mrs fae the Vale are going to see Fern Brady at the King's next month as part of the Glasgow Comedy Festival. Looking forward to it, as I've always liked her stuff. 

I keep seeing some interesting looking comedians advertising shows, but don't often pull the trigger on going. I feel it's a bit of a hard sell to go see someone  and part with a chunk of cash while not knowing if they'll be any good. Will probably bite the bullet at some point soon though and go see someone on a whim.

About 15-20 years ago a mate of mine convinced me to go with him to see Roy Chubby Brown. I was reluctant, but he kept at me. Saying "He's not as bad as they make him out to be".

So, anyway, I thought - give him a try. Maybe he has had a bad press? Maybe he isn't as bad as they all say? Maybe the papers just have it in for him?

Anyway...no. They weren't wrong. 5 minutes in and he's railing about the p***s. And it went downhill from there. Awful, Bernard Manning-style jokes with extra racism and no humour. Then he finished by doing some kind of dance, the big reveal at the end being he has slapped on a huge pair of plastic testicles.

It was the Albert Halls in Stirling and it wasn't even half full. And the crowd were just mutants let out for the night, whooping and hollering every insult he threw. I would have left half way through except my mate (who was loving it) had given me a lift and was my lift back. I think he knew I wasn't enjoying it; he has been again since and hasn't asked me along.

That is the only stand up comedian I have seen live.

Been to a few of the ones at Breakneck (comedy club in Aberdeen), seen Tom Allen, Jim Smith, Raymond Mearns & Gary Meikle among others, normally a decent bet with a compere and 2 or 3 acts that you will like some if not all of it.

Also done the comedy clubs in Edinburgh & Glasgow. Never had a night where didn't like enough to make it worth while.

Single events was lucky enough to see Billy Connelly twice, on the original Tour of Scotland shows at the Usher hall in Edinburgh, and the 2nd Tour of Scotland shows a few years later at the Capitol in Aberdeen. 

Furthest I've been was I made a weekend going to Dublin so I could catch a Mark Thomas tour (was away when he had his Scottish dates).

Booked and ready for Jim Jeffries (the Aussie one), in Edinburgh next month, and really looking forward to that.

Seen Andy Parsons and David Doherty years back at the Fringe, both were very good.

Seen Kevin Bridges at the Hydro too which was good but too many p***ks let out for the day screaming random lines from his old material like “gies a quid or yer getting stabbed” etc 

I listen to the Have a word podcast a fair bit and Adam Rowe is pretty good. Would like to see him live but doubt any of my mates would be up for it

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

About 15-20 years ago a mate of mine convinced me to go with him to see Roy Chubby Brown. I was reluctant, but he kept at me. Saying "He's not as bad as they make him out to be".

So, anyway, I thought - give him a try. Maybe he has had a bad press? Maybe he isn't as bad as they all say? Maybe the papers just have it in for him?

Anyway...no. They weren't wrong. 5 minutes in and he's railing about the p***s. And it went downhill from there. Awful, Bernard Manning-style jokes with extra racism and no humour. Then he finished by doing some kind of dance, the big reveal at the end being he has slapped on a huge pair of plastic testicles.

It was the Albert Halls in Stirling and it wasn't even half full. And the crowd were just mutants let out for the night, whooping and hollering every insult he threw. I would have left half way through except my mate (who was loving it) had given me a lift and was my lift back. I think he knew I wasn't enjoying it; he has been again since and hasn't asked me along.

That is the only stand up comedian I have seen live.

Went to see him at the playhouse a good few years back. However there was a wee ginger c**t in front of me with a laugh like a hyena on red bull. Turned out it was Neil Lennon. Think it was around the time celtic were preparing for the UEFA Cup final. 

Went to see Jimmy Carr years ago as someone had a spare ticket, absolutely pish. Been to a few comedy nights in Montrose, normally hosted by Scott Forbes who I believe does quite a bit at Breakneck in Aberdeen and even with the odd stinker performing, the nights tend to be class.

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Booked and ready for Jim Jeffries (the Aussie one), in Edinburgh next month, and really looking forward to that.

I saw Jeffries at the Lemon Tree around 2009 I think - one of the most savage 75/80 minutes I've seen from anyone. Madelene McCann jokes at a time no-one would dare touch it IIRC.

Don't tend to go to muchoff my own back nowadays, usually the missus picks them now. I think Gary Meikle in May at the Music Hall is next.

Edited by Scorge