(Mor)Ton vs (Dumbar)Ton - 10/2/18

IainMorton

Very comfortable win today. Some of our link up play was a joy to watch at times. In fact the score line could have been a lot more to be honest.

Frank Ross has given us that much needed width that we were crying out for since the start of the season - cracking player. First goal was a beauty :wub: 

Iredale is like a new signing also, the lad has been a revelation since coming back from loan.

McHugh looked good when he came on and we now have a bit of competition for places in the starting line up. 

Our injured players can't be far away from being in contention again - but none of them will walk back into the team that's for sure

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoroughly deserved win for Morton, the second goal right after half-time completely snuffing out any remote chance of us getting back into the game. Thereafter Morton played as though they could have stepped it up at any time, in the unlikely event of us actually managing a goal. The third goal only emphasised the gulf between the two teams and in all honesty if the margin had been four or five, we could have had few complaints. I'm struggling to think of any positives we can take from this game.

Jack Iredale scores again! Some boy he is. :wub:

He's been a breath of fresh air. I had serious doubts about a guy who'd been on loan at QP holding down a regular spot at left back ahead of Mark Russell but he's been an absolute revelation. Hearts at Tynecastle next please as I've never seen us play there and I think it's a winnable tie on the day. Failing that, Falkirk at home unless Ayr knock Rangers out.

Whilst we weren't great today (at all), I thought that Morton were, to a man, outstanding. Their left hand side in the first-half of Iredale and Ross absolutely tore us to shreds, and would've done in the second half too if Jim Duffy hadn't switched Ross sides. He was an absolute joy to watch, and looks a really special talent. 

Dowie (and probably Scott Gal) aside I don't think anybody really deserved pass marks today. Nisbet is considerably better than Greg Morrison, but he isn't a goalscorer. His link up was decent, and he showed neat footwork and anticipation to dance round Gaston before, erm, firing into the back row of the WDE.

Carsy and Hutton can't play as a midfield two in a 4-4-2 never mind a 4-2-3-1.  Both guys looked lost when they reached halfway, and the defenders were really struggling when they tried to play out a bit. OKI's wee shape with Walsh and Carsy is definitely worth a shot - especially given how wasted he was out wide today, where he barely got a kick.

Special mention to Michael Tidser too - who is comfortably one of my favourite players in the division. He played some absolutely sensational passes today, and I'd kill for a guy like him (or Harkins to be fair to him) in our midfield.

All the best in the quarters guys. The soundest gaffer in football will always be cheered on by quite a few Sons fans (well...me and BBPF at least) - he even refused to say it was comfortable post-match, such is his soundness and respect for us. 

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Whilst we weren't great today (at all), I thought that Morton were, to a man, outstanding. Their left hand side in the first-half of Iredale and Ross absolutely tore us to shreds, and would've done in the second half too if Jim Duffy hadn't switched Ross sides. He was an absolute joy to watch, and looks a really special talent. 

Dowie (and probably Scott Gal) aside I don't think anybody really deserved pass marks today. Nisbet is considerably better than Greg Morrison, but he isn't a goalscorer. His link up was decent, and he showed neat footwork and anticipation to dance round Gaston before, erm, firing into the back row of the WDE.

Carsy and Hutton can't play as a midfield two in a 4-4-2 never mind a 4-2-3-1.  Both guys looked lost when they reached halfway, and the defenders were really struggling when they tried to play out a bit. OKI's wee shape with Walsh and Carsy is definitely worth a shot - especially given how wasted he was out wide today, where he barely got a kick.

Special mention to Michael Tidser too - who is comfortably one of my favourite players in the division. He played some absolutely sensational passes today, and I'd kill for a guy like him (or Harkins to be fair to him) in our midfield.

All the best in the quarters guys. The soundest gaffer in football will always be cheered on by quite a few Sons fans (well...me and BBPF at least) - he even refused to say it was comfortable post-match, such is his soundness and respect for us. 

I was very sceptical of harkins and Tidser being in the same team but fair fucks to Duffy. It's currently working out well for us.

5 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Falkirk at home unless Ayr knock Rangers out.

This is pretty much all I want. Falkirk away wouldn't be so bad. Basically, let's just avoid the big teams and get a semi final out of this.

Everyone else is likely to see us as fairly heavy second favourites.

Iredale and Ross have made a world of difference to us.  So much movement, pace and creativity in the team now. Frightening when you compare it to earlier in season when we had Thomson and Forbes as wide midfielders.

Confidence will be sky high within the squad, the way it was last year. 

Credit to Duffy for sticking with the same winning team again.

1 game from Hampden. Be great to get there 2 seasons in a row.

4 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Totally forgot about that, didn’t even think of looking to see if it was still there. :lol: 

Its definitely lost some of its 'sheen.'........probably as the result of some 'uber-romantic ' approaches from horny seagulls...:eek:

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

He's been a breath of fresh air. I had serious doubts about a guy who'd been on loan at QP holding down a regular spot at left back ahead of Mark Russell but he's been an absolute revelation. Hearts at Tynecastle next please as I've never seen us play there and I think it's a winnable tie on the day. Failing that, Falkirk at home unless Ayr knock Rangers out.

All you need to do now is admit that you were wrong about the rest of the team, the board and Duffy.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

Also, fair play to the Dumbarton player for trying to chip Gaston from 35 yards and almost putting it out for a throw in... :lol: 

Not as good as the player rounding the keeper and then totally fucking the shot up. 

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

To be fair, I'd have just about anyone else in the team at left back ahead of Mark Russell. I do think we'll do well to hold on to Iredale for next season though.

To be fair, I'd have just about anyone else in the team at left back ahead of Mark Russell. I do think we'll do well to hold on to Iredale for next season though.

You hate full backs in all guises ya mad b*****d [emoji23]

Archived