Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

I agree to an extent about what you're saying. Morrison was a bit of a weak point last year, but along with  Brown and Fletcher there are long term losses in midfield. It wasn't the rip it up and start again job that McLeish has made it, though. I think we had variations of a system under Strachan that worked for us and I think that we needed to steady the ship as much as possible to allow 2/3/4 players to settle into the team. So while I think that the loss of Brown in particular is a blow, and some other injuries and withdrawals haven't helped, I think the attitude that we need to find a new system or discard some players  to bring in new ones has been unhelpful. He essentially decided to discard all momentum in favour of starting again. 
The irony is I was raging at George Burley for ruining the momentum built up by McLeish in the Euro 2008 qualifiers... now McLeish appears to be doing the same with Strachan's relative head of steam.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:
I agree to an extent about what you're saying. Morrison was a bit of a weak point last year, but along with  Brown and Fletcher there are long term losses in midfield. It wasn't the rip it up and start again job that McLeish has made it, though. I think we had variations of a system under Strachan that worked for us and I think that we needed to steady the ship as much as possible to allow 2/3/4 players to settle into the team. So while I think that the loss of Brown in particular is a blow, and some other injuries and withdrawals haven't helped, I think the attitude that we need to find a new system or discard some players  to bring in new ones has been unhelpful. He essentially decided to discard all momentum in favour of starting again. 

The irony is I was raging at George Burley for ruining the momentum built up by McLeish in the Euro 2008 qualifiers... now McLeish appears to be doing the same with Strachan's relative head of steam.

A lot of the momentum though was Strachan playing players on form, in terms of the majority of the Celtic squad that were doing really well. We don't have that, although we seem to have an annoying habit of not trying on form players, like Stevie Mallan at Hibs.

McLeish in general looks lost, the quote in the pre match conference saying that the Portuguese team were similar to Brazil because 'they both speak Portuguese's even raised eyebrows from my missus, who has no interest in football and asked 'what has that got to do with anything'.

During the Germany match tonight it was stated that the Germans won't sack Low because they have no-one else.  The concern is would there be anyone better who is interested in taking over, given the general apathy involved with international football?

23 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Yeah, I was really hoping that Ian Maxwell would have the balls to sack Alex by now!! Why wait until end of this campaign when it's clear to all fans and most media pundits that change is needed NOW in order to have a chance of qualifying! 

And they need to break the bank for a top name as i think mcpished being appointed is the straw that broke the camels back.

19 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Paul Lambert: Scotland must forget what's happened in the past to succeed

Paul Lambert is coming across as being a bit dim again. Apart from the obvious that we didn't need any sizeable rebuild after a very decent 2017, he simply doesn't seem to understand how the Nations League groups work:

If we win in Albania we need a win against Israel to top the group,  if we draw in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group, and if we lose by one goal in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group (and will top the group with a win as long as Israel don't score more than once). In all three scenarios the win against Israel is absolutely essential. In terms of winning the group, losing by 1 goal in Albania isn't much different to winning. That being said, if the aim is to avoid relegation and/or secure a third seed spot for the Euro Qualifiers, then a win would be very handy indeed. 

Quite simply, Paul Lambert is a very thick man.  

I'd rather see McLeish in the role than him.  I don't say that lightly.

Throw a shit load of cash at Wenger. He's said he's coming back to football in January. 

It's unrealistic but if you don't push the boat out then we are stuck with the likes of McLeish.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Throw a shit load of cash at Wenger. He's said he's coming back to football in January. 

It's unrealistic but if you don't push the boat out then we are stuck with the likes of McLeish.

When McLeish was touted for the job my initial feeling was if we couldn't do better we were in trouble. Maybe if we throw enough money at Wenger can convince some trained monkeys to replace the chronic SFA. Let's start believing people...!

Whenever this conversation comes up, it's always "push the boat out and get x".  I'm not convinced that it's as simple as just asking a high-profile manager.  Were they particularly interested, to the point where all it needed was the right wage, I'd imagine we'd have heard about it.  We're just not that attractive a job anymore.

On 10/15/2018 at 19:50, King Kebab said:

He looks as if he has suffered from a mild stroke at some point in his life!!!

I didn't remember Scot Gemmill having that odd disgusted sneer when he was a player; right enough, an image search on Google doesn't turn up any pictures of young Scotland displaying any such affect (although there are a couple of alarming hairstyles).

It's either a stroke, or he's seen some serious shit since he retired from playing. The kind of things that make a man despise the stupidity of humanity, and despair at the inherent unfairness of life. Presumably he regrets sitting in on those SFA board meetings.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Whenever this conversation comes up, it's always "push the boat out and get x".  I'm not convinced that it's as simple as just asking a high-profile manager.  Were they particularly interested, to the point where all it needed was the right wage, I'd imagine we'd have heard about it.  We're just not that attractive a job anymore.

It was with Republic of Ireland attracting Trappatoni.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

In Arsene We Trust.

It's an 'out-there' suggestion but given a decent assistant (Austin MacPhee, or such like) would be extremely exciting. It seems our tactical setup needs that level of intelligent footballing input at the moment. Clearly the SFA don't have the level of ambition to match, sadly. However, being proven wrong would be beautiful.

The point about losing Brown, Morrison and Fletcher at once is why it's critical to get McArthur back in. A midfield with him and two of McGinn/Armstrong/McGregor would be about a trillion times better than two of them and McDonald, and give us a more solid midfield than having all three with McGinn as the holding player. We have two absolutely massive games coming up and McLeish needs to convince him to come in for them, if he's not just going baws out with no holding midfielder.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Without the ability to poach promising young players from other international squads, I can't see Wenger doing much for us.

We might be able to come fifth every year at everything.

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure if I'm being whooshed but Wenger would be an unmitigated disaster.

Can't organise a defence and don't have the quality of player to play the way he wants.  It would not go well.

A bit like McLeish then.

Archived