Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If every player eligible made themselves available for a one off game tomorrow, I reckon our strongest team would be

McGregor

Tierney Mulgrew McKenna Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Fraser McGregor Forrest

Griffiths

Agree 100 percent. McGinn in for Brown and that's the strongest we have. I would even say Shinnie could be a good option there. That team is full of energy pace and legs.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

My original preference before McLeish was appointed was Alex Neil. Neil, along with Jack Ross and Stevie Clarke should have been on the radar when McLeish   was being considered.

McLeish was a lazy, safe hands appointment that showed no imagination or ambition. It's turned out to be a disaster - much worse than I thought it would be. It's probably a lot worse than those at the SFA imagined too.

What a mess...……... 

Big Alex must have really impressed the panel with his eloquence and vision during his interview.

Either that or his mates from the SFA were just desperate to help him out and hoping for the best.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree 100 percent. McGinn in for Brown and that's the strongest we have. I would even say Shinnie could be a good option there. That team is full of energy pace and legs.

Every player there is also comfortable taking the ball in a tight position and holding it or playing with limited space.

Paul Lambert: Scotland must forget what's happened in the past to succeed

Paul Lambert is coming across as being a bit dim again. Apart from the obvious that we didn't need any sizeable rebuild after a very decent 2017, he simply doesn't seem to understand how the Nations League groups work:

However, Lambert thinks Scotland must get a result when they go to Albania on 17 November to maintain morale - before they host Israel three days later.

"We have to win," he said. "If we don't beat Albania then you don't know what will happen."

If we win in Albania we need a win against Israel to top the group,  if we draw in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group, and if we lose by one goal in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group (and will top the group with a win as long as Israel don't score more than once). In all three scenarios the win against Israel is absolutely essential. In terms of winning the group, losing by 1 goal in Albania isn't much different to winning. That being said, if the aim is to avoid relegation and/or secure a third seed spot for the Euro Qualifiers, then a win would be very handy indeed. 

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

Paul Lambert is coming across as being a bit dim again. Apart from the obvious that we didn't need any sizeable rebuild after a very decent 2017, he simply doesn't seem to understand how the Nations League groups work:

If we win in Albania we need a win against Israel to top the group,  if we draw in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group, and if we lose by one goal in Albania then we still need a win against Israel to top the group (and will top the group with a win as long as Israel don't score more than once). In all three scenarios the win against Israel is absolutely essential. In terms of winning the group, losing by 1 goal in Albania isn't much different to winning. That being said, if the aim is to avoid relegation and/or secure a third seed spot for the Euro Qualifiers, then a win would be very handy indeed. 

Also worth noting - something I forgot - that if we top the group but after ballsing up the Albania game, we're very unlikely to be given a home draw for the playoffs.  Given how fucking woeful we are away from home, I'd say it's absolutely essential we win both of these games.  At the moment, Finland and Bulgaria (latter hasn't played their 4th round of games) have a 100% record, so if that carries on, I'd imagine we're already going to be away from home in a potential semi-final automatically, unless one of them qualifies for the Euros through the main qualifiers.

Looking forward to next month when the groups finish, and the media start asking why we have to wait a whole year for the permutations to properly work themselves out.

I always think Moyes gets a bit of a raw deal as his Managerial record and profile are way above the candidates that many people are heralding. I'd take a Moyes / Irvine partnership right now, as at least we'd be well organised and get the most out of the players that we had available.

29 minutes ago, forameus said:

Just depends what David Moyes you get.  He's had success, but he's also looked utterly doomed at clubs before.  He still wouldn't be a particularly inspiring candidate for me, but then neither was McLeish.

Moyes had a pretty good record at Everton and the fact he pulled the Man Utd gig on the back of that should tell anyone how highly regarded he was, however it proved to be a poisoned chalice as the likes of Van Gaal and possibly even Mourinho will testify.

His record at Sociedad wasn't great but he did have relative success at Preston and certainly did well at West Ham under the circumstances.

As I say, I just find it bizarre that the likes of Alex Neil, Jack Ross & Paul Lambert are somehow seen to be successful as opposed to Moyes somehow being perceived as a failure............

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

Well, apart from most of the midfield retiring / getting too old (Brown, Morrison, Fletcher). McGinn was barely a sub last year, now he's a regular. McDonald wasn't quoted last year... these are critical positions. I think in 2017 Strachan hit upon a good combination in midfield (Armstrong in the creative role, ahead of two from Brown, Fletcher or Morrison), which protected a relatively weak defence and gave Griffiths (or Chris Martin!) some service.

Now we're just weak pretty almost everywhere. It's even making players who look good at club level look bad, i.e. Robertson hasn't looked at his best, and I don't think that's just due to the formation.

So Lambert wants to lower oue expecations. Well Paul mine are already rock bottom at the moment, so job done. :thumbsdown
Just saw that there. What a trumpet. I'm under no illusion that our national side is pish and has been for some time. But wanting to at least qualify for a major tournament isn't really a high expectation.

Watch Lambert being unveiled as our next manager.

21 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

What about Scott Gemmill, Graham Alexander, Darren Ferguson or Lee Johnson?

Well, I suppose they do have good experience of managing League 1 and League 2 standard players................

6 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Well, apart from most of the midfield retiring / getting too old (Brown, Morrison, Fletcher). McGinn was barely a sub last year, now he's a regular. McDonald wasn't quoted last year... these are critical positions. I think in 2017 Strachan hit upon a good combination in midfield (Armstrong in the creative role, ahead of two from Brown, Fletcher or Morrison), which protected a relatively weak defence and gave Griffiths (or Chris Martin!) some service.

Now we're just weak pretty almost everywhere. It's even making players who look good at club level look bad, i.e. Robertson hasn't looked at his best, and I don't think that's just due to the formation.

I agree to an extent about what you're saying. Morrison was a bit of a weak point last year, but along with  Brown and Fletcher there are long term losses in midfield. It wasn't the rip it up and start again job that McLeish has made it, though. I think we had variations of a system under Strachan that worked for us and I think that we needed to steady the ship as much as possible to allow 2/3/4 players to settle into the team. So while I think that the loss of Brown in particular is a blow, and some other injuries and withdrawals haven't helped, I think the attitude that we need to find a new system or discard some players  to bring in new ones has been unhelpful. He essentially decided to discard all momentum in favour of starting again. 

Archived