Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

48 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

O'Neil didn't want it and Clarke will have something better lined up next season.  

No one of any calibre came forward and McLeish was probably the best of the bunch.  

You can all imagine in your little heads that their was some Thorbjorn Icelandsson out there was could have come in a totally turned our game around but there just wasn't.

As for Scotland, while we are miles behind the top nations we aren't miles behind most of the rest.  We need one extra win per qualifying campaign and we are in with a real shot and we've been that way for most of our qualifying failures.  Thin lines and all that.  If we can get just a little bit extra out the team its totally possible.

The SFA has a lot of faults but criticising them for picking the best available guy for the job is a bit harsh.  There wasn't anyone else.

How the hell do you know there wasn't, we didn't even look at foreign managers, prandelli wanted it last time and we didn't even ask him.  It's stupid as fk to dismiss the possibility of there being one guy out of 7 billion that could have done it just cause your tiny wee brain doesn't have a name off the top of your head.  We didn't even ask Clarke either.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Anyone else listen to McLeishs interview on Sportsound last night? Seemed to ramble on about the English premiership and how Spurs defend throw ins.

Terrible appointment.

Seen someone claimed he said his ambitions were to "do well in this wee league", which I assume is the Nations League. 

12 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

They obviously realise McLeish isn't a very popular appointment because getting McFadden in as a coach is a pretty clear attempt to get the fans onside. Knowing Scotland fans, it will probably work.

Faddy is liked by everyone at Fir Park and I hope he makes a great coach or manager one day but his stint as Assistant Manager for us last season wasn't covered in glory.  If he is appointed as a coach to the national side you might well be right. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

O'Neil didn't want it and Clarke will have something better lined up next season.  

No one of any calibre came forward and McLeish was probably the best of the bunch.  

You can all imagine in your little heads that their was some Thorbjorn Icelandsson out there was could have come in a totally turned our game around but there just wasn't.

As for Scotland, while we are miles behind the top nations we aren't miles behind most of the rest.  We need one extra win per qualifying campaign and we are in with a real shot and we've been that way for most of our qualifying failures.  Thin lines and all that.  If we can get just a little bit extra out the team its totally possible.

The SFA has a lot of faults but criticising them for picking the best available guy for the job is a bit harsh.  There wasn't anyone else.

Sorry but that is a ridiculous comment. How do you know? There are literally hundreds of potential managers and you think none of them could be a better option? Clowns like Lawrie Sanchez and Chris Coleman were successful at international level, it's not about finding the next Alex Ferguson, it's about doing a bit of research and finding guys who have the qualities you are looking for even if they aren't the most fashionable.

I think what's frustrated most people, certainly me, is that McLeish is just the easy, lazy option, and that there has been no proper research and thought into possible candidates. If they'd done that and still concluded that McLeish was the best option then I wouldn't have agreed, but would have thought fair enough. But they haven't.

And how can you expect him to care about introducing the younger players when he's only on a 2 year contract? He isn't going to be around to see the benefits of introducing guys like Lindsay, Hendry, McKenna etc (especially if it goes wrong) so why would he take the risk? He'll revert to the older, tried and failed guys, so in two years time when someone else comes in we'll be two years behind in the rebuilding cycle.

Sorry but that is a ridiculous comment. How do you know? There are literally hundreds of potential managers and you think none of them could be a better option? Clowns like Lawrie Sanchez and Chris Coleman were successful at international level, it's not about finding the next Alex Ferguson, it's about doing a bit of research and finding guys who have the qualities you are looking for even if they aren't the most fashionable.
I think what's frustrated most people, certainly me, is that McLeish is just the easy, lazy option, and that there has been no proper research and thought into possible candidates. If they'd done that and still concluded that McLeish was the best option then I wouldn't have agreed, but would have thought fair enough. But they haven't.
And how can you expect him to care about introducing the younger players when he's only on a 2 year contract? He isn't going to be around to see the benefits of introducing guys like Lindsay, Hendry, McKenna etc (especially if it goes wrong) so why would he take the risk? He'll revert to the older, tried and failed guys, so in two years time when someone else comes in we'll be two years behind in the rebuilding cycle.

Sanchez and Coleman were not scouted out for their international management attributes.

You get slightly better managers and slightly worse ones - but there's far too many variables to think you can match up attributes in such a scientific way.

As has been mentioned, we could've had guardiola and still failed to qualify in years gone by.

Mcleish is indeed a lazy option. But he might just be taking over at the right time in terms of the squad we have. If only he can somehow build a defensive unit he might just make it.

22 hours ago, JTS98 said:

My story is straight. We don't have enough players playing at a level or against a style of football that is helpful preparation for international football.

I'd happily swap a couple of our Scotland-based players for a couple of guys at Bari.

Other sides that we have to compete against have these players. We don't.

Northern Ireland and ROI qualified for Euros with squads rammed with jobbers from SPFL and Championship? Don't let facts get in the way of your empty rhetoric though.

The reality is that it's possible McLeish might enjoy some success in this role.  It's very much an inexact science and the number of variables at play, mean that he might do alright.  The Nations League fixtures are, by their nature, winnable, as are the upcoming friendlies.   The side has obviously been doing better latterly than before too.  It's conceivable that in a few months, things might not look too bleak.

Such possibilities however, do nothing whatever, to diminish quite how desperate, quite how indolent an appointment this is.  McRae's deaf ear at the press conference yesterday perfectly answered the question about criteria and process. It's bloody shameful that this is how football gets run in this country.

The usual suspects saying that those complaining are anti-Rangers.

That is so far from the truth - whilst Walter Smith might have been seen as a retrograde step there was some logic in it - I think most would have gotten behind the appointment.

McLeish though just looks like desperation - it's a cheapskate anyone but Malky/foreign manager approach.

It still seems to me that they never ever really opened up the job to applications - they might have been surprised by who applied.

Even in a list of ginger alcoholic Rangers men McLeish wouldn't be top of my list!!

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Sanchez and Coleman were not scouted out for their international management attributes.

You get slightly better managers and slightly worse ones - but there's far too many variables to think you can match up attributes in such a scientific way.

As has been mentioned, we could've had guardiola and still failed to qualify in years gone by.

Mcleish is indeed a lazy option. But he might just be taking over at the right time in terms of the squad we have. If only he can somehow build a defensive unit he might just make it.

No we couldn't that's the point, with a coach of gaurdiolas quality we'd have qualified for virtually everything since 98.  What a ridiculous comment.

47 minutes ago, Chimter-boys said:

Northern Ireland and ROI qualified for Euros with squads rammed with jobbers from SPFL and Championship? Don't let facts get in the way of your empty rhetoric though.

It's fkn idiotic pish isn't it, we literally have 50 players who could get a game for Bari, probably more.

Not bothered about Faddy. The assistant is there to take training and be a good c**t to everyone. McCoist was a cracking assistant.

Heard his interview. Annoying as f**k. Banging on about the EPL and already saying his last squad was better what kind of attitude is that to have what will the players think.

The core of our team and best players are playing in Scotland. Gtf with this EPL obsession.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Even managers who are not the greatest tactical minds can arrive in a job at the right time.

I think he's a crap choice but it still might work out.

The right time for who though?

Let's appoint Jimmy Calderwood. We've got a good squad coming through, so it's the right time to do it. We can worry about getting competent managers later.

Archived