Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

Walter Smith even being considered for the job shows how utterly out of touch the beaks at the SFA are.

Here is a man who left his country mid way through a very promising campaign to go collect his EBT. I don't want any manager who thinks being in charge of the Old Firm is greater than being the National team manager. Ignoring the fact he hasn't managed in 7 or 8 years, we have a decent young bunch of players. Is Smith the man to see us through the next few campaigns and forge a good, young, attack-minded team? Is he f*ck.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walter Smith certainly would not be my first choice for the job given his length of time out of the game and his style of play. However when measured against the possibility of racist Malky or a totally unprepared Scot Gemmill getting it, it's not the worst.

The worry is we seem to have gone from wanting to make a big appointment to making an easy one. I would be more comfortable if the Scottish FA also spoke to Bilic, Clarke and a wild card like Prandelli or Bielsa rather than settling for Smith. If Smith then emerges as the best candidate from there then fair enough. It all seems a bit rushed to be going for one person.

If Smith does get appointed then we must have younger assistants in with him to learn the ropes and take over when he heads into the sunset. What Strachan and McGhee did with Docherty and Davidson in 2017 was a sensible idea and Smith doing that with two assistants would be welcome.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

What Hughes did with us is enough to wipe all that good stuff out. He's absolutely fucking insane.

Personal highlights include making 3 shree substitutions at once as soon as we took the lead against Hibs, and giving it the whole "I'm John Hughes don't you know" speech after every defeat. Plus everyone at the club at all levels hated him. 

FTFY

4 hours ago, kenny131 said:

All the momentum we have built up brining in an attacking style of play younger hungry players,  we can forget all of that under Smith.  It will be back to seeing 2 shots on goal a game hoping to nick a 1 nil. Sorry but our team is on the up and there's plenty young talent ready to step up. Now is not the time to bring in this dinosaur.  

When it comes down to the vital games it's exactly what Strachan did as well, as evidenced by his starting line up and substitutions in his final game.

Anyway;

Walter Smith - Daft old Sevco loyalist who hasn't managed in over 7 years. Would almost certainly have zero idea of players in Scotland outwith Sevco and Celtic. Also sends out the wrong message on every level. Is also a p***k. NO.

Alex McLeish - Possible drunk who hasn't managed since a poor spell in Egypt in 2016. Would almost certainly have zero idea of players in Scotland outwith Sevco and Celtic. Also sends out the wrong message on every level. NO.

Stuart McCall - Has just been sacked from Bradford. A ludicrous suggestion. NO.

Gary Caldwell - Eh? Has done f**k all in management and would almost certainly jump at the first offer in the unlikely event one ever came in for him. NO.

John Hughes -  A rambling tit whose comical spell at Raith Rovers utterly wiped out any good he might have done previously. A gurgling fandan. NO.

Malkkky Mackay - Racist. Homophobic. Bigoted. Sexist. Xenophobic. Probably a Brexiteer. Definitely an arsehole. Sends out the wrong message on ever level and more. NO.

Scott Gemmill - Taking the same path that Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown did, i.e. coaching/managing the younger Scotland teams. Would consider in the future if he has success at those levels. Too soon for now though. NO.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway;

Walter Smith - Daft old Sevco loyalist who hasn't managed in over 7 years. Would almost certainly have zero idea of players in Scotland outwith Sevco and Celtic. Also sends out the wrong message on every level. Is also a p***k. NO.

Alex McLeish - Possible drunk who hasn't managed since a poor spell in Egypt in 2016. Would almost certainly have zero idea of players in Scotland outwith Sevco and Celtic. Also sends out the wrong message on every level. NO.

Gary Caldwell - Eh? Has done f**k all in management and would almost certainly jump at the first offer in the unlikely event one ever came in for him. NO.

John Hughes -  A rambling tit whose comical spell at Raith Rovers utterly wiped out any good he might have done previously. A gurgling fandan. NO.

Malkkky Mackay - Racist. Homophobic. Bigoted. Sexist. Xenophobic. Probably a Brexiteer. Definitely an arsehole. Sends out the wrong message on ever level and more. NO.

Scott Gemmill - Taking the same path that Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown did, i.e. coaching/managing the younger Scotland teams. Would consider in the future if he has success at those levels. Too soon for now though. NO.

You've not ruled out Ally McCoist though.............................................................rumbled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All McCoist - Mean spirited little minded bigot. Appallingly shite manager. Would almost certainly have zero idea of players in Scotland outwith Sevco and Celtic. Also sends out the wrong message on every level. NO.

If we want to do things properly in terms of appointing a CEO, then that process will take several months to complete.  Our Nations League campaign kicks off in September, and the friendlies in March and June are the only chances to prepare for those.  It's therefore unrealistic to say "we should appoint a CEO before we appoint a manager" -  in general, that is correct, but in this case it could really damage our chances of qualifying for Euro 2020 to be ambling along without a manager until weeks before the campaign starts.  With that in mind, it makes sense to bring in a short-term "safe pair of hands" at least until the end of the year while we sort out the CEO and allow them to identify the longer term manager.  Smith is a good candidate for that particular job, since he's currently unemployed, and has experience of the role.  I absolutely wouldn't want to see him get it longer term, but there's definitely some logic to bringing him in on an interim basis.

Some of the stuff above about him only looking at Rangers and Celtic players is a bit weird too - in his time as Scotland manager he was very good at picking domestic players from a variety of clubs.  The core of his team (Gordon, Pressley and Hartley) all played for Hearts, who also saw several caps given to Andy Webster.  He regularly picked Gary Caldwell and Garry O'Connor whilst they were at Hibs, and gave gave debuts to Scott Brown and Derek Riordan.  He handed multiple caps to Scott Severin and Russell Anderson while they were at Aberdeen and also picked Lee Miller whilst he was at Dundee United, David McNamee at Livingston and gave Hearts' Robbie Neilson his only cap.  There are lots of valid reasons to criticise his first spell, particularly the overly defensive style which cost us in big games, but a lack of focus on non-OF players definitely isn't one of them.

I get the feeling that someone at the SFA is championing Scot Gemmill but Walter is maybe the compromise as there would be genuine fear about going for someone who we know so little about. I think a similar thing may have played out at Hearts with Levein and Daly.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Image result for steve mcclaren gif

An ex International Manager with a Top 10 side

Assistant Manager with one of the Worlds top clubs

Took an unfancied mediocre team to a UEFA cup final

Won a league in Europe

Managed in the Bundesliga

35 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

Won a league in Europe

Would be an excellent appointment, very good coach,his team's play technical passing football and good with younger players.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

When I saw Skidmarks post I thought to myself "I wonder how long it will take Peppino to say that would be an excellent appointment". :lol:

It's good but it's not quite Curbishley.

What wouldn't you like about it.  His CV is as good any mentioned, he's the right type of manager, positivity, experience, wouldn't talk the team or game down.  Familiar with Scottish football, based just down the road and cheap.  

45 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

Won a league in Europe

While he has far better club achievements than a lot of options, the "ex-International manager with a top 10 side" isn't really telling the whole story.  He was not a good England manager.

I suppose it is very SFA to finally go for someone with International management experience, but manage to pick one who did poorly there.  May as well go for Ranieri.

12 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Would be an excellent appointment, very good coach,his team's play technical passing football and good with younger players.

Dismay

Just now, forameus said:

While he has far better club achievements than a lot of options, the "ex-International manager with a top 10 side" isn't really telling the whole story.  He was not a good England manager.

I suppose it is very SFA to finally go for someone with International management experience, but manage to pick one who did poorly there.  May as well go for Ranieri.

Image result for talkhearts mclaren

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah but as I said before international football can give a very false impression of a manager or player as it's a very small number of games in very peculiar circumstances.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

What wouldn't you like about it.  His CV is as good any mentioned, he's the right type of manager, positivity, experience, wouldn't talk the team or game down.  Familiar with Scottish football, based just down the road and cheap.  

In the last 10 years he's won the league with Twente, went to Wolfsburg and got the sack after 8 months, went to Forrest and was sacked after 10 games, back to Twente where he was sacked after 12 months and selling their best player for peanuts, went to Derby where he did as expected in the League only to fail in the play-offs, terrible second season that got him the sack, disaster at Newcastle where he was sacked after less than a year, back to Derby and sacked after 5 months and then he went to be a "coaching consultant" for Maccabi Tel Aviv in which he only lasted 4 months.  That's before we get to the fact he could only win 9 out of 18 games in charge of England, an England team which contained the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Rooney.

In the last 10 years he was able to win the Dutch league with a team not usually expected to win it and he's been able to either fail or do as expected with every other club. I don't believe he's ideal for any management job, maybe Burger King (where he'll get to manage Scotlands future players anyway LOL AMIRITE? LMAO). 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

In the last 10 years he's won the league with Twente, went to Wolfsburg and got the sack after 8 months, went to Forrest and was sacked after 10 games, back to Twente where he was sacked after 12 months and selling their best player for peanuts, went to Derby where he did as expected in the League only to fail in the play-offs, terrible second season that got him the sack, disaster at Newcastle where he was sacked after less than a year, back to Derby and sacked after 5 months and then he went to be a "coaching consultant" for Maccabi Tel Aviv in which he only lasted 4 months.  That's before we get to the fact he could only win 9 out of 18 games in charge of England, an England team which contained the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Rooney.

In the last 10 years he was able to win the Dutch league with a team not usually expected to win it and he's been able to either fail or do as expected with every other club. I don't believe he's ideal for any management job, maybe Burger King (where he'll get to manage Scotlands future players anyway LOL AMIRITE? LMAO). 

Very negative slant to put on an excellent career that compares favourably with every candidate mentioned here.  And his derby team were fkn excellent.

Btw it's not a manager's decision who to sell or for how much in almost all cases.  And 4 months in Tel Aviv is probably lifestyle not performance related.  This is why I day you should learn about professional football if you want to discuss it.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway;

Hello DA, I know you like everything to be hyper-correct, so I'd like to assist you in this quest by pointing out that Walter Smith last managed in May 2011 and that isn't more than seven years ago.

Archived