Controversial moments

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Forget the exact circumstances but that Dundee Utd - Rangers game a few years back where the ref had an absolute stinker, leading to Levein going apeshit post-match.

edit: at work so can't find the youtube vid of it

Love CL. One of the few managers unafraid to tell it as it is against the scum.

30 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Most of these incidents seem to involve Dundee United in one way or another. Seems we are missed from the top flight. Sad.

Only the easy points.

55 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Forget the exact circumstances but that Dundee Utd - Rangers game a few years back where the ref had an absolute stinker, leading to Levein going apeshit post-match.

edit: at work so can't find the youtube vid of it

Worst I've ever seen.  The ref cheated deliberately to ensure rangers got a result.  Disgusting.

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

It sadly didn't end his career as he refereed the second leg of the play  off between Dundee United and Thistle in 1996 the memory of which and a non penalty award is still too painful. 

I am happy to be corrected. Not happy he wasn't hounded out the game though...

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That's a good interview.

Did Levein get into trouble for it?   McCurry was of course blatantly a Rangers fan, but that day he stopped even pretending to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a good interview.

Did Levein get into trouble for it?   McCurrie was of course blatantly a Rangers fan, but that day he stopped even pretending to be fair.

He did. It went on for a while, im sure he was fined and possibly asked to retract his statements, but he wouldn't pay it or back down. He argued he had a right to free speech and was prepared to fight it all the way.  I think the refs kicked up because it undermined their position and they might even have threatened to strike?

The governing body was shitting itself how it would end, but I'm sure they got both parties together and just brushed it all under the carpet.  It was a bit of a surprise Levein was named national coach a while later.

All of this is as I remember it, sure there will be folk who can provide links to the full story.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He did. It went on for a while, im sure he was fined and possibly asked to retract his statements, but he wouldn't pay it or back down. He argued he had a right to free speech and was prepared to fight it all the way.  I think the refs kicked up because it undermined their position and they might even have threatened to strike?

The governing body was shitting itself how it would end, but I'm sure they got both parties together and just brushed it all under the carpet.  It was a bit of a surprise Levein was named national coach a while later.

All of this is as I remember it, sure there will be folk who can provide links to the full story.

Ah yes, that rings bells.  I hadn't realised that that situation emerged from that particular game.

I suppose such remarks do undermine the authority of refs, but mounting a genuine defence of what McCurry did that day would be impossible.

I think he might have later admitted he got decisions wrong.

I went right off Levein over the whole Scotland debacle, but he's one of the few managers in Scotland who you feel doesn't give a damn about keeping the old firm sweet, which is massively to his credit.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Always liked CL too. Doesn't give a monkey's.

That clip has, moreover, reminded me of the ABSOLUTE SPIT that Craig Levein is/was of my youngest brother. Frightening.

7 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I'm working on an article for a new retro blog being released next month. I was wondering what people on here thought was the most controversial moments in football history?

I am going against the grain here, but I think the FIFA corruption case, Bernard Tapie match fixing, Juventus match fixing or the war between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969 would be examples of more controversial moments in football history than an SPL team getting or not getting a penalty.

7 minutes ago, The OP said:

I am going against the grain here, but I think the FIFA corruption case, Bernard Tapie match fixing, Juventus match fixing or the war between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969 would be examples of more controversial moments in football history than an SPL team getting or not getting a penalty.

Wait till you see Paul Larkin's devastating exposé of the Lanarkshire Referees' Association, m8.

18 minutes ago, The OP said:

I know what you mean - and tbf  from the wording of the OP (ha) I'm inclined to think the original intention was that it was meant to be for football across the world - but the fact it's been posted in the Scottish Premiership Forum rather than Misc Other  does maybe imply that it's referring to Scottish football history, I suppose. *shrug*

Archived