West League - SFA Pyramid

ShahktarYerMaw

Surely Bonnyton Thistle from the SSFL would join that! Would also provide a league if BSC Glasgow, Cumbernauld Colts and East Kilbride went down (granted it’s not likely though)... Also would likely be a reason for the West Junior sides to potentially jump ship as the league would likely be almost entirely made up of Junior sides!

Could the addition result in a second promotion place to the Lowland?

I would imagine a decent number of junior sides, a couple of lower league/maybe league 1/2 u20s (BSC have already expressed an interest for that reason iirc), and who knows, maybe a team like Third Lanark, since they are occasionally mentioned on here as a potential interested party in rejoining the senior setup 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Only 70 at Gala v East Stirling shire today.  The Lowland League seriously needs re-invigorating with big Junior defectors, or a West of Scotland League.

That’s pretty shocking given that Shire have a decent following. I’m sure there were a lot more than that when they played Whitehill. 

14 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Only 70 at Gala v East Stirling shire today.  The Lowland League seriously needs re-invigorating with big Junior defectors, or a West of Scotland League.

Out of interest where did you get this crowd figure from ? I was at the game and in the 2nd half I did a head count and got 133 (41 on the terraces, 70 in the stand and 22 below the stand). Obviously it is just my rough count and may have included some club officials etc but I would doubt that my count was 63 out (I did count it twice).

Shire fan headcount at game was 25 to 30ish though there may have been a few I missed.

2 hours ago, Dead said:

Out of interest where did you get this crowd figure from ? I was at the game and in the 2nd half I did a head count and got 133 (41 on the terraces, 70 in the stand and 22 below the stand). Obviously it is just my rough count and may have included some club officials etc but I would doubt that my count was 63 out (I did count it twice).

Shire fan headcount at game was 25 to 30ish though there may have been a few I missed.

It was posted on a groundhoppers Facebook page, presumably the person did a headcount and from his pictures, it looked pretty accurate.

No probs mate. and thanks for letting me know:). I thought I was going a bit mad.

I have been posting the crowds at our games from this season on the East Stirlingshire website and try to be as accurate

as a can.

19 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

How many should have been at the game for it not to require "re-invigorating"? 

19 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

Only 70 at Gala v East Stirling shire today.

4 hours ago, Dead said:

Out of interest where did you get this crowd figure from ? I was at the game and in the 2nd half I did a head count and got 133 (41 on the terraces, 70 in the stand and 22 below the stand).

2 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

It was posted on a groundhoppers Facebook page

Had he perhaps borrowed Isabel Goudie's calculator?

2 hours ago, Dead said:

No probs mate. and thanks for letting me know:). I thought I was going a bit mad.

I have been posting the crowds at our games from this season on the East Stirlingshire website and try to be as accurate

as a can.

This was what was posted;

Gala Fairydean Rovers v East Stirlingshire (0-1)
SPFL Lowland League
Crowd - 70

Shirey Pirey snatch win with late winner in a game that both keepers could've stayed indoors for the whole game

Also a link to some pics (this isnt the guy that posted the above). Doesnt look many there.

https://groundhoppers.blog/2018/02/03/the-concrete-fairydean/

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2018 at 16:20, AlansHotBath said:

I would imagine a decent number of junior sides, a couple of lower league/maybe league 1/2 u20s (BSC have already expressed an interest for that reason iirc), and who knows, maybe a team like Third Lanark, since they are occasionally mentioned on here as a potential interested party in rejoining the senior setup 

Do you think that Clydebank are waiting the outcome of this discussion?  It would make sense to allow South of Scotland lge teams who aspire to moving up the league would get automatic entry to a West of Scotland league and the SOS become a filter to the West league.

I guess East/West/Highland is the long term aim, and hopefully with that in place we’d see more promotion/relegation, especially if the big junior teams switch over. That surely would require a larger than 10 team league sitting above to accommodate extra relegation spots and is perhaps where we could see a 12-12-18 or 12-10-20 league structure put in place?

5 hours ago, Enigma said:

I guess East/West/Highland is the long term aim, and hopefully with that in place we’d see more promotion/relegation, especially if the big junior teams switch over. That surely would require a larger than 10 team league sitting above to accommodate extra relegation spots and is perhaps where we could see a 12-12-18 or 12-10-20 league structure put in place?

I don't think a 10-20 bottom two divisions would work, I can't see the"10" being happy about 2 being relegated which you would need to have to get the"20" on board. 12-18 might have more chance.

On 14/03/2018 at 11:48, honestman54 said:

Do you think that Clydebank are waiting the outcome of this discussion?  It would make sense to allow South of Scotland lge teams who aspire to moving up the league would get automatic entry to a West of Scotland league and the SOS become a filter to the West league.

It's a very short list and that's the problem - the bottom of this pseudo pyramid contains too many teams that cannot go up / will not go up to the next level, either for lack of a Club Licence or funds/wilingness to move towards it. The SoS covers a mainly rural area with a sparse population. Crowds at games are (in the main) small double figures except for the big matches. The league is very similar in make-up to the Ayrshire district league, but of course in their infinite wisdom, the West are going 'all in' for next season so any amalgamation of the set-ups would need careful thinking - a club like Abbey Vale are not going to want to go to say Dunipace for an away game. It's entirely possible the bottom division in the West next season will be:

Annbank Utd
Ardeer Thistle
Ashfield
Blantyre Vics
Carluke Rovers
Dunipace
East Kilbride Thistle
Johnstone Burgh
Lanark Utd
Muirkirk
Newmains Utd
Saltcoats Vics
St. Anthony's
Thorniewood Utd
Vale of Clyde
Vale of Leven

I'm guessing but I'd say it's not massively appealing to the clubs in the SoS. The clubs closer to the M74 would perhaps see a reduction (or little change) in travelling - Uppers, Mids, Lochmaben, Heston, Dumfries YM etc... but for the clubs along the A75 it would be nightmarish. I'm down that way a lot and the roads are not great.

SOSL is a funny wee league. I guess if in the fantasy scenario of the West/East/Highland regional split, and the West juniors becoming the West pyramid you’d tack the SOSL on below the Superleagues and next to the Ayrshire district and Central district leagues, it certainly shouldn’t feed strait into the lowland league.

Archived