Your team's penalty taker (Is he any good?)

Agree about Tommy McQueen as the penalty king  - he came as close as its possible to being guaranteed to score, in all my time watching the Bairns.  The most memorable one was at Cappielow, in the run-in to winning the Championship in 91.  Really tight game, blustery conditions, 10-15 mins to go, tensions running high; Tam as calm as could be, fecking buried the penalty for a 1-0 win,  just as if he was having a kick-about down the local park; and we knew that day the league was ours. What a guy.  

tommy.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Agree about Tommy McQueen as the penalty king  - he came as close as its possible to being guaranteed to score, in all my time watching the Bairns.  The most memorable one was at Cappielow, in the run-in to winning the Championship in 91.  Really tight game, blustery conditions, 10-15 mins to go, tensions running high; Tam as calm as could be, fecking buried the penalty for a 1-0 win,  just as if he was having a kick-about down the local park; and we knew that day the league was ours. What a guy.  

tommy.jpg

What a player Tam was . It just shows you how football has changed over the past 20 odd years. The idea of a player of his quality moving from West Ham to a championship side in todays climate would be unthinkable  due to the cost of his wages.  Its the dregs of English football that end up up here these days and scottish players returning with their tails between their legs. 

20 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What a player Tam was . It just shows you how football has changed over the past 20 odd years. The idea of a player of his quality moving from West Ham to a championship side in todays climate would be unthinkable  due to the cost of his wages.  Its the dregs of English football that end up up here these days and scottish players returning with their tails between their legs. 

I had the pleasure of chatting to Tommy at a party many years ago. A total gent who clearly loved the game. 

Had some cracking stories about Fergie’s time in charge at Pittodrie.

9 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I had the pleasure of chatting to Tommy at a party many years ago. A total gent who clearly loved the game. 

Had some cracking stories about Fergie’s time in charge at Pittodrie.

Met Tommy at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth and VERY funny IMHO (in my humble opinion).

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

Shagger....please start a free kick post next....

The penalty topic done its trick

We were just saying before the game that we hadn't had a penalty all season then, like buses, we get two along at once.

I wonder when Aero makes up his mind where to place them because I don't think I've seen him putting them in the same place twice. Probably just before he rams it into the net! I think it worth mentioning that his overall performance was better today too, other than not playing to the whistle at offside decisions! Didn't think it was a MOTM performance right enough although that was down to his goals I suppose?

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:09, Shadwell Dog said:

Tam and Alex Taylor were 2 of JJ best signings

another two excellent spot kicks from Muirhead today

Can anyone possibly explain the enigma that is Muirhead? Worst distribution from the back that you will ever see, but the best penalty taker at the club in many years. Cannot work it out, he should be putting half of them 10 yards over the bar!!!

Archived