Motherwell vs Ross County 24/1/18

A classic midwinter grim-fest -  one of the poorer games that I've seen for a while - but 3 points, the 2nd comedy OG in a week, a ridiculous decision by the ref in the lead up to our goal and a clean sheet - so can't complain. 

I thought Aldred, Main and Rose were the best of our bunch - Ciftci was the only one that seemed able to produce a bit of quality when he was able to get on the ball.

Probably not seen enough to give me any hope that we'll take anything on Sat - but at least we go there in far better shape than we were at the end of the year....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/42812489

Not sure how you embed BBC vids - but their highlights package shows the Ciftci challenge in the lead up the 2nd. Would not be pleased if that went against us (but I'm obviously pleased that we got away with that one as I'm a total hypocrite)

Also - what a fucking header for the first - maybe the best seen at Fir Park this season. 

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/42812489

Not sure how you embed BBC vids - but their highlights package shows the Ciftci challenge in the lead up the 2nd. Would not be pleased if that went against us (but I'm obviously pleased that we got away with that one as I'm a total hypocrite)

Also - what a fucking header for the first - maybe the best seen at Fir Park this season. 

Pravda TV not even bothering with a replay of the clear foul.

Looking at the highlights we should probably have got a penalty for the County player wiping out Campbell as he went for a header.

10 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

A centreback who can win headers; feeling a lot more confident for tonight if he is in the squad, even just as an option to come off the bench should Davies get injured.

A bit later than most. What a header however.

Long baw pish though. Shame cos I think we look decent knocking it about at times.

That was a great finish by Main but my favourite part of the highlights is the County player getting ‘bodied’ as the full time whistle goes.

I mean I’d insert a Taylor Swift gif to show my delight but I’ve no fucking idea how you do it.

11 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

Owen Coyle not working out then?

Coyle has made no difference to this team whatsoever. We look just as bad if not worse as we did under Jim and Billy. 

With Rangers and Aberdeen up next its looking likely we will be cut adrift. 

At one point, I saw Robinson giving Coyle stick for screaming for every minor decision (eg, a player stealing 5 yards at a run of the mill throw) - he's obviously feeling the pressure.....

It was noticeable last night that the ref knew he blew it for the lead up to the 2nd goal as the balance of decisions after that were clearly, blatantly in favour of County. One thing that needs to be said about the goal is that despite the clear foul, it was on the touchline a long way from goals - there was still work to be done and a chance to defend it....

I listened to the MFC commentary last night.  Putting aside the expected inherent bias, there were lots of salient points made by Peter Hartley on co-comms, and lots of tit-bits on the mental and tactical approach by Motherwell.

I missed the start of it but I take it Motherwell were in a midfield diamond formation with Cadden at right-back - Hartley was obsessed with getting Cadden driving forward to get 1v1 against Van der Weg.  Hartley didn't say it in those words but it was obvious he considered VdW to be the weak link, which isn't news to anybody.  I see the highlights had Carson repeatedly booting it long to Main to go up against VdW as well, which clearly worked.

It took about 40 mins for Hartley to appreciate that County's formation made little sense and that there was no obvious gameplan, other than to slow the game down and try to keep a clean sheet.  This lop-sided 4-3-3 with one winger who can't beat a player on the outside anymore is disastrous.  There is no creativity in the team beyond Gardyne who can't do it all on his own.  There is no thrust coming from midfield, the only midfielder keen to get into the opposition box in open play is Routis, who either plays as a holding midfielder or centre-back these days.

I've been one of Eagles's critics since his first appearance, but the team badly needs his eye for a pass.  The team hasn't scored since he last started.

I was in denial and fully believed that Billy Mckay will come good, but what is the point of using him in that position?  Schalk would offer so much more penetration behind and link-up play dropping short in the same role IMO and I've never been a huge fan of Schalk.  Mckay has been very close to scoring in two or three matches, but for the game time he has been given - albeit sporadic until Christmas - he has done so precious little.  He needs better service than he is getting, but he also needs to create chances which he has not been known for in his career.  I'm starting to believe in the 'The Relegator' tag :osama:

Souttar will come good.  The own goal would be hilarious to me if the situation wasn't so desparate.  It was a good ball in, but well defendable by a defender settled in the team IMO.  The midfielders should have done better to clean up on the second ball from the knock-down, Routis looked like he was on auto-pilot.

The second goal is disappointing for the blatant foul, but then MacLean was wiped out by Naismith at the end and that should've been a pen.  As Swello says, there were other opportunities to stop that goal.  It's a shocker of a pass by Gardyne on to Fraser's weak side to start it off.  Souttar maybe could've had a stab at clearing the low centre by Ciftci, but I thought that was an even better cross than Rose's and Souttar clearly didn't want two OGs on his debut!  It was a smart run by Main to go on Souttar's blind side and away from Naismith, but the latter really ought to have anticipated better to be more goal-side.

Coyle has seriously gone down in my estimation in the last couple of months.  He can't change the pattern of a match, which is hugely alarming for a team that no longer plays on the front foot yet can't keep a clean sheet.  I only hope that time hasn't run out by the time that his new signings are able to show their quality.

Was Billy McKay playing last night?  I genuinely didn't notice him at all.

I stated at HT last night the tactics from Motherwell were brutal to watch, and i'll stand by that.  However, having given it some thought, it's understandable to an extent to try and shitfest our way to a couple of wins when you consider the run we'd been on at the end of last year.  The thing is, the times we got the ball down and played (through Tanner, mostly) we looked decent.  The lead up to the first goal being the prime example.  Hopefully we'll see more of that in the coming weeks as the confidence grows.

Good to see Main getting his first, hopefully big Nadir can get his soon and they appear to be linking well together.  Another hour or so for Nadir is good to get his match fitness up again.

As for Ross County?  Sorry lads, it does not look for you.  However, we did have a sweep, amongst our group, on how many signings you would make between now and the end of the window at the game last night.  I've gone for a further six - don't let me down Roy!

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

As for Ross County?  Sorry lads, it does not look for you

I don't think County are the worst team I've seen this season (that would be Accies on Sat or Thistle earlier in the season) - but it was clear that despite having a lot of the ball (more than us I'd guess) and competing well, they had zero creativity or anyone to take their man on. I laughed when I heard Coyle describe N'Gog as "outstanding" on the radio on the way home - a bizarre statement given his contribution (Coyle probably guessed he could get away with saying it when only 52 hardy staggies were there)...

28 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve seen County 6 times this season and I don’t know why that Kielor-Dunne or whatever he’s called is not starting anymore?

I agree with those who are saying Billy McKay is mince.

Davis Keillor-Dunn, he's been our outstanding player of the season (not hard i must admit) but he's brought enthusiasm and an attacking directness that fans love to see.

He's basically been dropped from the starting XI, having only started TWO of our last ten games (we drew those two games), Owen Coyle has proven himself to be a tactical feckin genius!:shutup

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve seen County 6 times this season and I don’t know why that Kielor-Dunne or whatever he’s called is not starting anymore?

I agree with those who are saying Billy McKay is mince.

I'd go with that as well. County's squad has a collection of players in it that you'd look at and think 'Aye, he'd do fine with us'.

Coyle is the diddy I (sorry County fans, it's just self-preservation from our point of view) thought he might be, at this point.

The fact that he's loading the team with junk to guys like Keillor-Dunn's detriment is not a good look. Just from seeing the 11 players you'd put out last night, it looks that he's going to try and batter teams with his collection of atomic supermen, but there's no pressure being applied by them. Having a team full of giants is fine if they're going to press and push teams around. To a degree it worked against us, but once we realised that the majority of the time, they weren't closing us down, we got better.

Shoutout to the County centre-halfs maintaining the charade that they were going to play it short dropping to the edge of the box at every goal kick, as well. I made it 75 minutes before it actually was played.

Souttar looks like he might be useful, and was unlucky with the OG, as comical as it was. McCarey did him no favours for me. Effiong made football look really difficult and Ngog was entirely anonymous.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

The MFC stream commentary typically described the ball being with a County midfielder, back to a full-back, back to McCarey, booted long for McHugh to outjump Effiong despite being four inches shorter.

That's exactly how certain posters on OTB would have County play.  None of this passing the ball out of defence.

Archived