Overtime ??

:unsure2:

To be fair, your views on what is living out with your means are pretty moronic. If I change jobs to earn a better salary & then spend that better salary on all essentials & an extra holiday / better car / few more nice restaurants visited, am I living outwith my means? Or should I just bank the whole lot?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Let me explain in the simplest terms for you.

Imo, your means are your wages.

If you live within your means you can live your life with that money.

Two ways to live outwith your means are get into debt or earn EXTRA money which is not a guaranteed part of your income.

Difference of opinion doesn't make me wrong but it does make you angry. 

By your logic, having a mortgage is not living within your 'means' 

I understand where you are coming from tbf, but your argument is far too simplistic.

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah I just expected a full month for January. I’ll be going on paternity leave for 2 weeks next month and am not entitled to paid leave for that either. Might start up a fund raising page for myself to get by.

You should hit up Bambino, he'll be good for a score.

7 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

To be fair, your views on what is living out with your means are pretty moronic. If I change jobs to earn a better salary & then spend that better salary on all essentials & an extra holiday / better car / few more nice restaurants visited, am I living outwith my means? Or should I just bank the whole lot?

Erm no, because your salary, and therefore means, have chsnged

8 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

By your logic, having a mortgage is not living within your 'means' 

I understand where you are coming from tbf, but your argument is far too simplistic.

I'd say a lot of people get mortgages that are outwith their means but I take your point. There are exceptions; Im not saying my idea is a hard and fast rule.

Id also say a mortgage is basically a savings fund. Therefore its not really a debt. You cant pay it, you sell it and take your money.

Erm no, because your salary, and therefore means, have chsnged

You do understand that some jobs have a fairly guaranteed overtime overtime regime?
Myself for instance, I earn a base salary- enough to cover my basics & put a little away every month, however, I go offshore, sometimes I go a month or two without going away, but when I do, can be for 4-6 weeks, with the extra money that brings in, should I just bank that? In my opinion, it’s fair enough to class that as money in the bank as I know it will happen. Likewise, if I’ve got client paid project work, I work the extra hours & get rewarded accordingly. Fucked if I’m banking all that, as it’s around 2.5 times my base wage...
I’ll stick with treating myself to the niceties in life.

26 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Two ways to live outwith your means are get into debt or earn EXTRA money which is not a guaranteed part of your income.

You seem angry about people who take the chance to earn extra money hence your label of "living beyond means".

And you don't seem to understand disposable income. I have a certain amount of free income every month from my basic salary.  Sometimes if I do OT I have more disposable income!

Not living beyond means, bills still paid, just more money to spend on shit that I want whether that's holidays, doing up my house or pishing it up a wall.

Not everyone earning OT is a financial basket case propping up mortgages and lifestyles with additional pay.

Quick query, what if I won some money, let’s say £5k, and went on holiday spending that money. Would that be living outwith my means? If I didn’t have that money, I wouldn’t have gone on holiday but I did so I did...
Just curious for your viewpoint - not trolling or looking for an argument.

5 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Quick query, what if I won some money, let’s say £5k, and went on holiday spending that money. Would that be living outwith my means? If I didn’t have that money, I wouldn’t have gone on holiday but I did so I did...
Just curious for your viewpoint - not trolling or looking for an argument.

Not at all. Thats a windfall. As I said, my rule isn't hard and fast. I reckon if you're booking holidays based on expected overtime you're outwith your means. Your scenario isn't in that situation.

4 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Whiskeychimp, doesn’t get paid overtime,that’s why he’s against all the “ballers” spending it on trips to Marbs.

I don't get overtime pay  because I have no intention of ever working any. Ever.

Everyone living out with their means has ruined Britain. Getting stuff on tick and letting banks give us mortgages we can't afford.

The decent non moronic people suffer as council taxes freeze and services go down but hey ho I've got a newer BMW than the neighbours. 

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Everyone living out with their means has ruined Britain. Getting stuff on tick and letting banks give us mortgages we can't afford.

The decent non moronic people suffer as council taxes freeze and services go down but hey ho I've got a newer BMW than the neighbours. 

Going by the tone of the post, that wouldn't actually surprise me. ;)

I think you'd be better directing these questions to your payroll and/or HR department to be honest.

It was the person who did the wages who made a mistake and the full amount was paid into my account today. Still got paid for the Xmas break.

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

It was the person who did the wages who made a mistake and the full amount was paid into my account today. Still got paid for the Xmas break.

Careful now, someone might phone or email your boss to grass you in

Archived