Overtime ??

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I get paid the last Thursday of each month on a salary basis and today I got less than I expected. I started 2 weeks before Christmas and just got paid half of my salary. Then I had 2 weeks off for Christmas and started back on the 8 th January and have worked 2 weeks and 4 days since being back and my pay was the same as what I got in December. It’s probably about 60% if my full salary I got paid today, will this be because I shouldn’t have been due any holiday pay from
Then as I have just started?

When’s the cut off date for this months wage? You might have done 2 weeks and 4 days since you got back but they might only be paying you 1 week and 4 days? 

Combine that with maybe not being due holidays and it might explain your beans on toast wage. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When’s the cut off date for this months wage? You might have done 2 weeks and 4 days since you got back but they might only be paying you 1 week and 4 days? 
Combine that with maybe not being due holidays and it might explain your beans on toast wage. 

I don’t know exactly, all I got told is that I got paid the last Thursday of each month and last month I did two weeks and got half my wage, although the money I got paid was a bit more than I would have expected. Was expecting the full payment this month which I didn’t get but don’t know the cut off date.

Not sure how holiday pay works, if I’m on a salary then surely I just get paid the same each month if holidays are part of the package? What I have been paid is about in line with the 5 weeks I will have worked as of the end of this week minus the Christmas holiday money.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t know exactly, all I got told is that I got paid the last Thursday of each month and last month I did two weeks and got half my wage, although the money I got paid was a bit more than I would have expected. Was expecting the full payment this month which I didn’t get but don’t know the cut off date.

Not sure how holiday pay works, if I’m on a salary then surely I just get paid the same each month if holidays are part of the package? What I have been paid is about in line with the 5 weeks I will have worked as of the end of this week minus the Christmas holiday money.

You have to accrue holidays, you can't just start a job and f**k off on holiday straight away and expect to get paid for it.

You have to accrue holidays, you can't just start a job and f**k off on holiday straight away and expect to get paid for it.

Some jobs you can.

Throbber - I would always recommend everyone knows exactly what your work policies are before you do anything, whether that’s OT, holidays, wage rises etc.

If you know in advance then you can’t be misled/fucked over.

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You don't always have to. If you get a certain quota of annual leave you can take it as soon as you start working, if you leave and have taken too many hours then they just deduct it from your final wage.

I don’t know how it will work then, I will still be entitled to my 29 holiday days in 2018 though surely? Will this just mean I never used up any of my holiday entitlement for January so far or does it get backdated?

Just now, throbber said:

I don’t know how it will work then, I will still be entitled to my 29 holiday days in 2018 though surely? Will this just mean I never used up any of my holiday entitlement for January so far or does it get backdated?

I think you'd be better directing these questions to your payroll and/or HR department to be honest.

I think you'd be better directing these questions to your payroll and/or HR department to be honest.

Haha I know, the person who knows the answer is off today I was just hoping someone could clear this up with a simpler answer! Thanks!

Some jobs you can.

Throbber - I would always recommend everyone knows exactly what your work policies are before you do anything, whether that’s OT, holidays, wage rises etc.

If you know in advance then you can’t be misled/fucked over.

Yeah I know the conditions pretty much but it was just because I started in mid December and very close to Xmas and new year break that it’s a bit of a muddle this month. It will be sorted tomorow anyway and I’m sure I’m not getting ripped off!

Knowing the field throbber works in, its highly possible @Rugster is correct. I know a lot of firms who make you work bank holidays throughout the year and use these for the Christmas break without affecting your standard annual leave balance. It helps out both parties as they don't need to find work for you when they're at their quietest and you can have Christmas off at the expense of working the May Day holiday etc . If he hasn't accrued these, then they might just not pay him. 

However this is just pure speculation and they've probably underpaid throbber due to poor performance.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Knowing the field throbber works in, its highly possible @Rugster is correct. I know a lot of firms who make you work bank holidays throughout the year and use these for the Christmas break without affecting your standard annual leave balance. It helps out both parties as they don't need to find work for you when they're at their quietest and you can have Christmas off at the expense of working the May Day holiday etc . If he hasn't accrued these, then they might just not pay him. 

However this is just pure speculation and they've probably underpaid throbber due to poor performance.

They probably deducted the cost of having to get extra small overalls and safety boots specially made.

My performance has been fantastic thank you very much. Nobody needs to know that I have been on here talking about Michael Jackson’s sexual preferences when I have meant to have been working.

Most companies (in my experience) have holiday accrual, therefore each month you will be entitled to 29 divided by 12 = 2.4 days for each month completed. I’d imagine that is the reason, unless they do things differently in the sex industry.

Yeah I just expected a full month for January. I’ll be going on paternity leave for 2 weeks next month and am not entitled to paid leave for that either. Might start up a fund raising page for myself to get by.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

You disagree that people should spend the money that they earn if it's over their normal salary. :wacko:

You're an absolute pie.

Let me explain in the simplest terms for you.

Imo, your means are your wages.

If you live within your means you can live your life with that money.

Two ways to live outwith your means are get into debt or earn EXTRA money which is not a guaranteed part of your income.

Difference of opinion doesn't make me wrong but it does make you angry. 

Archived