Overtime ??

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I worked for a large Edinburgh based bank there was a guy in the department whose job was to maintain the internally developed applications.  Basically, all the apps we used for our teams admin and recording were developed by him and his manager and they would update, tinker and enhance them - a bit of a dry, back-office sort of job but he seemed to like it.

A new departmental head took over and audited the departments overtime etc - this guy had been claiming around 10-15 hours of overtime a week for as long back as the system went.  He was questioned about it and his justification was that he would log on from home every weekend and have a play about with the applications in sandbox/dev environments.  He didn't have any concrete results to show for it, he hadn't been asked to do it, he'd just do it.  Weekend overtime paid at double time so he was probably taking home nearly double his base salary in spurious overtime.  He wasn't disciplined for it but was told that any OT would have to be for specific work and be signed off from now on - he never claimed OT again.

He should have resigned in protest.  And come back a few weeks later as a thousand-a-day 'consultant'.

I've seen it done.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The guy in Chris’s post claiming all that OT is a legend. Think of him as the direct antithesis to the bozo on here working unpaid.

I disagree, it's fraud.  Stealing is wrong, even if you are stealing due to the rank incompetence of the huge, evil corporation you are working for.

A colleague of mine their told me a story a server support engineer.  One of the servers he supported would alarm at 06:55 every Monday single morning - this triggered an call-out to him and every time he'd say "I'm on my way into the office, I'll fix it when I get in".  By 07:10 he was at his desk and would clear the alert.  He was down as being on-call for those servers 24/7, every day.  He retired or took redundancy and whoever inherited looking after those servers realised that the fault generating the callout was simply an alerting flag that could easily have been unchecked.  The guy hadn't fixed it because he claimed a callout payment for every single time he was called, which for him was a one off payment of about £250 for the call plus four hours overtime, no matter how long he actually worked.  So every month  he'd get £1000 callout payments and a minimum of 40 extra hours overtime, for something that was an admin task that was easily fixable.  It'd been like that for years, he'd probably rinsed the company of six figures by the time he left.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I disagree, it's fraud.  Stealing is wrong, even if you are stealing due to the rank incompetence of the huge, evil corporation you are working for.

A colleague of mine their told me a story a server support engineer.  One of the servers he supported would alarm at 06:55 every Monday single morning - this triggered an call-out to him and every time he'd say "I'm on my way into the office, I'll fix it when I get in".  By 07:10 he was at his desk and would clear the alert.  He was down as being on-call for those servers 24/7, every day.  He retired or took redundancy and whoever inherited looking after those servers realised that the fault generating the callout was simply an alerting flag that could easily have been unchecked.  The guy hadn't fixed it because he claimed a callout payment for every single time he was called, which for him was a one off payment of about £250 for the call plus four hours overtime, no matter how long he actually worked.  So every month  he'd get £1000 callout payments and a minimum of 40 extra hours overtime, for something that was an admin task that was easily fixable.  It'd been like that for years, he'd probably rinsed the company of six figures by the time he left.

That's fucking genius. Why should it only be Directors paying themselves huge bonuses for grinding companies and pension funds into liquidation who make any money? Never mind the fucking hedge funders.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How does this work? Can't you refuse?

Seems like my work (an office) is one of the few places that doesn't offer overtime

I'm not salaried but I'm expected to do up to 3 hours unpaid at short notice in the 'needs of the business' e.g if the fat obnoxious thieving b*****d I work for decides he can't be arsed and wants to go home sick.

2 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

I'm not salaried but I'm expected to do up to 3 hours unpaid at short notice in the 'needs of the business' e.g if the fat obnoxious thieving b*****d I work for decides he can't be arsed and wants to go home sick.

That's brutal. What would happen if you refused?

I think it's fair enough to expect a bit more of people who have responsible jobs and big salaries.  the company I really started my serious career at the departmental managers were expected to be contactable pretty much all the time and they didn't get any overtime.  They did all get hefty salaries and, provided they performed to expected levels, a  bonus that could realistically hit 40% of salary - my departmental manager was sent home from the office on a few occasions for over-working but she did buy a Porsche with her bonus one year, so swings and roundabouts.

I found that company had a far better culture and attitude than the large bank that had all the OT piss-taking. 

13 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

f**k that. Work as little as possible.

This.  If you need to do overtime you are living outwith your means.  Wages should be enough to cover your lifestyle comfortably.

I do two or three overtime shifts a month, the way my hours fall I tend to work in long spells then have about ten days off. Sometimes it grates on me sitting at home whilst my missus is at work and the kids are at nursery, so I'll do some work for two days. I get fully paid for it and its my own decision to do so.

Do I rely on it? No. Does it help having more savings in my account? Yes. 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

That's brutal. What would happen if you refused?

I pretty much did today. What a fucking gang I work with.

In short, my manager is a thief who always fiddles the time and attendance records and we compare his outstanding 'lieu time' to the never ending gobstopper in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory.

Only 4 of us who are 'management' and 5 customer service staff. He's just came back off a fortnight sick for 'personal reasons' and 2 of our cs staff are off sick, so god knows how much time I've had to cover (with one of the other supervisors) over the last couple of weeks.

Top that off by me telling the other supervisor politely that I don't trust her and that was her crying in the bog for 15 minutes before handing her notice in and doing a bunk. Left with just me and the manager from about 1pm until kicking out time with a dinner looking unlikely and unable to leave the building as there must be two in at all times. :lol:

He was in to close the store,  so I rang one of the young lassies who does weekends to come in and do 3pm to 7pm. I'll be at the doctors in the morning for a couple of weeks on the pat and mick myself and I told him I'll be looking for another job.

Quite a dull day bar all that mind.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think it's fair enough to expect a bit more of people who have responsible jobs and big salaries.  the company I really started my serious career at the departmental managers were expected to be contactable pretty much all the time and they didn't get any overtime.  They did all get hefty salaries and, provided they performed to expected levels, a  bonus that could realistically hit 40% of salary - my departmental manager was sent home from the office on a few occasions for over-working but she did buy a Porsche with her bonus one year, so swings and roundabouts.

I found that company had a far better culture and attitude than the large bank that had all the OT piss-taking. 

Nah don't agree that it's fair enough to expect anyone to do unpaid work over and above their normal contracted (I.e. paid for hours).

So what if she got a Porsche. I'd rather be happy to have my own time to do what I wanted than have an expensive status symbol

5 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

If you need to do overtime you are living outwith your means.  

Yet another story I was told by a co-worker during my time working at the large Edinburgh based bank.  During the financial crash, it became apparent that the days of basically guaranteed annual bonus' were long gone and the bonanza of getting great deals on shares was over, one middle manager went, ashen faced, to his boss and basically begged for a pay-rise equivalent of about £15,000 a year.  He'd been putting his children through private school using his bonus money and with that well running dry he couldn't afford it anymore.  Relying on a sodding bonus to pay for something like that?  Mental.

it always a source of fascination for me that people who earn very handsome salaries still stretch themselves and basically live hand to mouth.  Madness.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah don't agree that it's fair enough to expect anyone to do unpaid work over and above their normal contracted (I.e. paid for hours).

So what if she got a Porsche. I'd rather be happy to have my own time to do what I wanted than have an expensive status symbol

I think the expectation is if you have a job overseeing a large department with a lot of responsibilities and get paid a large salary then you should be prepared to be asked to do more.  People who go for those sorts of jobs understand that I think. 

I think the expectation is if you have a job overseeing a large department with a lot of responsibilities and get paid a large salary then you should be prepared to be asked to do more.  People who go for those sorts of jobs understand that I think. 

TBH I try and work as close to 37.5 hours a week as possible and tell my team to do the same. There is always the odd occasion where something can't be handed over but I'll sort out something be it TOIL or payment. Any on call or call out and planned out of hours is always payable.

Excessive working for free is unjustified and just shows a lack of staff and/or being taken for a mug.

Archived