Overtime ??

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody do any overtime at work? I never used to but the past 2 years I’ve been doing it. Some months can do an extra 40 hours. Handy for some extra dough.

Used to, but only do it now if it’s for a different department or team and I can be arsed.

Very occasionally I'll get weekend overtime at work. Hardly ever happens now, used to get as much as we liked, now my employers just hire dozens of temps so there's no need to. It's fucking shite.

What are overtime rates now? When I used to work, the last time I done overtime it was paid at time and a half on a Saturday up till noon then it was double time after that. Double time all day on a Sunday. Couple of 8 hour shifts at the weekend gave an extra 30 hours of pay.

Yes. Unpaid. I hate it.

Seconded.
What are overtime rates now? When I used to work, the last time I done overtime it was paid at time and a half on a Saturday up till noon then it was double time after that. Double time all day on a Sunday. Couple of 8 hour shifts at the weekend gave an extra 30 hours of pay.

Think it’s dependent on your contract. We should get some hours at time and a half then double time Mon-Sat then double time Sun. Or that used to be the case anyway. Don’t get paid it anyway so it’s irrelevant really.

25 minutes ago, supermik said:

I got paid 24 hours a day for a week once. 8 hours a day normal time, 4 hours 1.5, after that double time. If you worked past 2 am you were paid through to 8am, so I'd get a few hours kip. 1.5x Sat and 2x Sun.

I point blank refused to do it after a certain point in my last job. Used to be quite willing to do it,  but I was part time and constantly asking them to permanently increase my hours. Of course they refused, but offered overtime instead. f**k that.

I've not done any in my current job. I earn enough to keep me going without having to be there a minute longer than I need to.

Don’t do it much now, unless it’s tidal work. Used to be on unlimited overtime,  working 8am till midnight, I was younger and could be arsed then though. We’re 1.5 6am till midnight then double between midnight and 6am

Weekday OT is time and a half for me. Weekends and my time shifting days are at double time if I come in. 

Hence why I'm raging we don't get much now.

Parkinson's law states that "Work expands to fill the time available".

So if you regularly work overtime, you end up pacing yourself so that you do the same amount of work as before but you just take longer to do it.

I think that is true for a lot of office jobs.  People who think they are heroes because they are still in the office at 9pm but it takes them a long time to do the simplest task.

Archived