Things you shouldn't skimp on.

27 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Your bed. 

I went on a wee tour around Scotland a few years back and realised every hotel/B&B had a comfier bed than I had in my hoose.

So bought a new bed.

Agreed.

I spend about 1/3 of my life in my bed- can't understand people who would buy a crappy bed/mattress combo for £150.  I have a superking size Hypnos bed (same as the hotels) which cost me a few grand but worth every penny. 

• 1 year later...

Mrs Maths ran got a bolt stuck in her tyre yesterday and had to have the tyre replaced. Instead of buying her usual £300 tyre (tyres for Evoke seem to be expensive) the guy at the garage convinced her to go for some cheap £100 option.

Thoughts on this? Tyres are one of my "don't skimp" items.

15 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Mrs Maths ran got a bolt stuck in her tyre yesterday and had to have the tyre replaced. Instead of buying her usual £300 tyre (tyres for Evoke seem to be expensive) the guy at the garage convinced her to go for some cheap £100 option.

If she mainly just potters around town it's probably no big deal. Uneven tyres can mess with the handling a bit. Not sure if hers is a 4wd version but they're especially sensitive to tyre wear etc. High speed, especially in the wet, the handling might feel a bit worse than before. Don't think it's too big a deal, especially if she has saved £200 and maybe as and when other tyres wear she could swap them to these cheaper ones. 

In terms of my grocery shop, beans have to be Heinz or Branston. Brown sauce must be HP.

Kitchen roll, I am loyal to Might Big in B&M. It's £2.99 or 3 rolls but what a roll of kitchen paper it is. You could dry yourself coming out the shower with one.

Everything else I just get the cheapest I can find.

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I'd agree. I don't think cheap tyres are as safe or wear as evenly.

Funnily enough, at a third of the price I wonder if they'll need replacing 3 times sooner

What brand is the £100 tyre? That will determine how good a choice it was.