Things you shouldn't skimp on.

Have to say, as a former pooro I used to buy only cheap clothes, especially from supermarkets. In recent years I've been buying more expensive stuff from Lewis', Marks etc and I don't find they last any longer at all. Trousers wear out in a year, jumpers go bobbly or lose shape within months. I think dearer used to mean better quality, but not any more.
I'm with the guy above who said car tyres. You've got an area the size of an A4 sheet of paper taking all the friction involved in trying to stop a ton of metal doing 70 miles per hour, and your life depends on it. No, I'm not skimping on that.

This. I only buy clothes for myself when my old stuff is done. It's not very often and I don't pay loads. I never understand these people who pay £70/£80 on jeans or £20 for a tshirt. Crazy behaviour.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'll just the mattress out and jump on to it. No doubt I'll end up missing and land on a shed roof though.

Before you mentioned it in another guise I was about to say a mattress. Bought a few over the years and it's definitely a case of getting what you pay for.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

This. I only buy clothes for myself when my old stuff is done. It's not very often and I don't pay loads. I never understand these people who pay £70/£80 on jeans or £20 for a tshirt. Crazy behaviour.

How much should a tshirt cost? I'd wouldn't class £20 as the act of a crazy. 

Guest Moomintroll

Have to disagree with these 2, PB.
Golf is shite so f**k the membership off completely and make a considerable saving and make yourself a better person.
Gym membership can definitely be saved on (scrimp is the wrong word). No need to pay bannantynes or David Lloyd £45 pcm for them heat the jacuzzi when all I want to do is go to the gym. If you enjoy the luxury and money isn’t an object I understand why folk would prefer the more prestigious private health clubs but if you just want to use the gym, nae point.
£45 pcm, can i join that David Lloyd Club, b*****ds must have seen me coming.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

My work wear is cheaply purchased stuff, and my experience is similar in that it usually lasts quite well. I wear a polo shirt at work and the current one has lasted for over 3 years (I wear a different t-shirt underneath it each day before any comments are made).

That's a good point. I've started buying stuff from Arco, the workwear peeps, it's cheap and it lasts really well. I got a pair of boots for £45 that look like Timberlands and are tough as hell. Even in my hillwalking boots my feet could get cold sitting in concrete football grounds, but I'm toasty in these. 

11 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Have to disagree with these 2, PB.
Golf is shite so f**k the membership off completely and make a considerable saving and make yourself a better person.
Gym membership can definitely be saved on (scrimp is the wrong word). No need to pay bannantynes or David Lloyd £45 pcm for them heat the jacuzzi when all I want to do is go to the gym. If you enjoy the luxury and money isn’t an object I understand why folk would prefer the more prestigious private health clubs but if you just want to use the gym, nae point.

Your confusing the game of Golf which is an excellent sport and a very good way of keeping fit (burns about 1,000 cals) per round, with the high percentage of absolute wanks who play the game, and generally sit on committees.    I play just short of £300 pcm for Gleneagles membership ( including club membership) which is a sizable outlay, but I only drink once a week and have a 5-figure income.   Generally speaking the top end golf clubs ( Gleneagles, Turnberry, even Muirfield) are very customer focused.    It's the pretentious wannabe clubs with delusions of grandeur which normally house the golf club wankers.   

With the Gym thing, I actually quit my membership at Bannatynes for the council Gym, got disillusioned by the inferior equipment, stopped attending and put on 14 stone.    I like how the Bannatynes membership allows me to use the health clubs in Edinburgh I've I'm running late.    I've been around 40 times already this Jan, so I don't see the £47 PCM as a poor value. 

7 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Coffee.
I’m not saying go to costa or Starbucks for an overpriced coffee but the cheap, shite instant we get offered at work shouldn’t be fit for human consumption.

People bring this stuff into work and I just want to punch them in the face.

Image result for maxwell house coffee strong roast