Things you shouldn't skimp on.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Dish towels. How is it possible to make cheap ones out of material that is more water resistant than Goretex? You spend a minute speading the water out before just sticking the plate in the cupboard and letting it air dry.

Don't use conditioner in the washing machine.

Duvets.  I remember buying one for my first flat after I'd finished uni.  I bought one off eBay for under £20 and it was horrible.  It was filled with this awful synthetic fibre that wasn't very flexible and felt rough to touch.  You couldn't wrap yourself up comfortably and it didn't hold in any heat at all.   My mum took pity on me and spent a fair bit getting me a replacement one from Debenhams.  It was basically her teaching me how to buy one properly and not to be cheap when I did! 

Hand tools. About 40 years ago I picked up a box-set of screwdrivers in a discount shop. Different sizes, Philips head, flat head and all for next to nothing. Mr. Savvy Shopper, me.

They each lasted about 2 or 3 uses before bending, spinning in the handles or cracking. I ended up replacing them, one at a time, with real screwdrivers, most of which I still use today. 

^^^This. My favourite tool is a Swedish 6" adjustable spanner that has an mm gauge and keeps to it perfectly with no slippage or rattle. You hardly ever need a bigger one if bolts haven't rusted or been over tightened, and it slips easily into a jeans pocket. Had it for 30 years. Could have bought an entire spanner set for less probably.

Edited by welshbairn

On 24/01/2018 at 14:54, KnightswoodBear said:

I read about this supposedly fancy coffee that the beans are eaten by these wee mammals that live off the coffee beans, then they shit them out and it's harvested and they root out the beans and make expensive coffee for arseholes (from arseholes).  That abomination there is made from the coffee infused shit that's discarded.

Its £300 a cup and the wee Civet cats are kept in tiny cages. Rich, cruel arseholes. 

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

Good tip. I'll try that. Why do the expensive do just fine? I ask this as you are now designated "dish cloth expert.'

Friends of mine bought a pub and in the first weeks were always getting complaints about flat pints.

It was a brewery rep that kept them right, saying the cloths washed with conditioner left a coating on the glass, hence a flat pint.

I never wash towels of any kind in conditioner as the coating, for the reason you've discovered is like drying yourself with Teflon.