Things you shouldn't skimp on.

A lot af cheap items are excellent and it's not worth paying extra for a "better" alternative. 

Some cheap thing are pish and you'd be much better off paying a bit more.

What should you pay a bit more for?

I'll start off with 2.

Tinned tomatoes. Buy cheap and they're acidic, sour shite which you have to add loads of stuff to, to make them palatable. Good ones only need a twist of salt and pepper.

Shoes. Cheap shoes cut your feet when you wear them in, you can feel the pavement through the soles and they're wrecked in a few months. Decent shoes wear in easily, support your feet and last for a couple of years. 

Guest bernardblack

Shoes 100%

Clothes also - buy cheap buy twice etc

Phones/tablets/laptops - fair enough if you get a bargain on a reputable brand but I've never understood the people who buy an unknown brand and wait weeks for it to get shipped from abroad only for it to inevitably break with no insurance/warrantee

Have to say, as a former pooro I used to buy only cheap clothes, especially from supermarkets. In recent years I've been buying more expensive stuff from Lewis', Marks etc and I don't find they last any longer at all. Trousers wear out in a year, jumpers go bobbly or lose shape within months. I think dearer used to mean better quality, but not any more.

I'm with the guy above who said car tyres. You've got an area the size of an A4 sheet of paper taking all the friction involved in trying to stop a ton of metal doing 70 miles per hour, and your life depends on it. No, I'm not skimping on that.

2 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Shoes. Cheap shoes cut your feet when you wear them in, you can feel the pavement through the soles and they're wrecked in a few months. Decent shoes wear in easily, support your feet and last for a couple of years. 

I bought a pair of casual slip-ons from Aldi for £11.99 coming up for 5 years ago. They were very comfortable and I figured at the time if I can get the best part of a year out them that will be great.

Almost 5 years on and I'm still wearing the bloody things.

30 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I bought a pair of casual slip-ons from Aldi for £11.99 coming up for 5 years ago. They were very comfortable and I figured at the time if I can get the best part of a year out them that will be great.

Almost 5 years on and I'm still wearing the bloody things.

Casual slip on's make you sound like a ladies man (rapist)