Scottish Cup 5th Round Draw

lubo_blaha

Trying to figure out what's most likely to be moved for TV

We can dismiss these because they don't feature anybody of significance

• Kilmarnock v Brora Rangers
  • Formartine United/Cove Rangers v Livingston/Falkirk
  • Greenock Morton v Peterhead/Dumbarton

On the other hand the all top flight clash involving one of the Old Firm is a certainty

• Celtic v Partick Thistle 

Which leaves four possibilities for two slots

Ayr United v Fraserburgh/Rangers(Almost certainly Rangers)
Assuming Ayr get through this might attract some ghouls hoping for a hilarious upset along with the standard Old Firm audience.

Aberdeen v Dundee United
This is probably an uncompetitive mismatch but for middle-aged men who remember the '80s "Aberdeen v Dundee United"sounds like a stand out fixture.  TV scheduling is done by middle aged men so we can't rule this out

Heart of Midlothian v Albion Rovers/St Johnstone (But let's just assume it's Saints)
Hearts were on TV last weekend they may want to spread the cup coverage around and while I'm enjoying Craig Levein's Clean sheet machine it might not attract the neutral. Nonetheless Hearts (5th)  vs Saints(7th) would on paper look like the one of the most balanced fixtures on the card along with...

Dundee/Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Motherwell
Assuming Dundee get through this is another top flight pairing, It looks even tougher to pick a winner but neither side are box office so it seems unlikely

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Albion Rovers v St Johnstone postponed, rearranged for Monday 29th January.

Will that knock out St Johnstone v Hamilton? If not, that means St Johnstone will be playing Saturday-Monday-Wednesday. Which admittedly is what they'll need to do anyway in the event of a replay, but at least in that scenario both teams are in the same boat.

If Motherwell v St Johnstone wasn't already in for Tuesday 6th February, there would have been a relatively simple solution.

Edit: Just seen on the match thread that St Johnstone v Hamilton is now indeed postponed.

Edit2: I assume it's too late to now reinstate Killie v St Johnstone for tomorrow :lol: 

Hadn't realised Motherwell-St Johnstone from the autumn had been rescheduled for a fortnight.  Odd it wasn't caught-up earlier.

So if Albion Rovers v St Johnstone is off twice more - or once and drawn meaning a replay - that's 3 St Johnstone league fixtures skittled over 3 consecutive midweeks :lol:. Daft scheduling.

Saints could conceivably (!) play 16 games in 50 days, i.e. every midweek until the middle of March!

1. Saturday vs Thistle
  2. Monday vs Rovers (SC)
  3. Wednesday vs Rovers (SCR)
  4. Saturday vs Hearts
  5. Tuesday vs Motherwell
  6. Saturday vs Hearts (SC)
  7. Tuesday/Wednesday vs Killie/Accies
  8. Sunday vs Celtic
  9. Wednesday vs Hearts (SCR)
  10. Saturday vs County
  11. Tuesday vs Rangers
  12. Saturday vs Opponent (SC)
  13. Tuesday/Wednesday vs Killie/Accies
  14. Saturday vs Dundee
  15. Tuesday/Wednesday vs Opponent (SCR)
  16. Saturday vs Hibernian

Hope we don't get a bad spell with the weather!

9 hours ago, Caveman said:

Strong rumour from Somerset that the Ayr v Rangers/Fraserburgh game will be almost definitely be on Sky on the Sunday, even if it's Fraserburgh. 2.30pm KO

That means Sky's second game could be a 4.30pm kick-off on the Sunday, or a 5.30pm kick-off on the Saturday. They have EFL games at lunchtime on both the Saturday and Sunday (and their new channel setup means the games can't clash).

Outside chance of Monday night (Friday night, similarly, has an EFL game).

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Celtic vs Thistle, The NEW FIRM and Ayr vs Broch/Rangers are the games...

As always, pleased that my team have avoided TV rescheduling.

Full details:

Celtic v Partick Thistle, Saturday 10th February, 12.15pm, BBC1
Ayr v Fraserburgh/Sevco, Sunday 11th February, 2.30pm, Sky Sports
Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, Sunday 11th February, 4.30pm, Sky Sports

Hearts v Albion Rovers/St Johnstone likely would go under 10,000 attendance if on tv. At least by not being so there's a chance it could get to 15k, depending on prices.

Hearts v Albion Rovers/St Johnstone likely would go under 10,000 attendance if on tv. At least by not being so there's a chance it could get to 15k, depending on prices.

That’s about right

Hearts vs St Johnstone was on Sky in 2012

It drew 9,185

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/201202051.html

After our near death experience things are a little different now so I think if this one was on Sky it would probably break 10k this time but not by much.

Cove Rangers and Dundee both through tonight.

Cove v Falkirk at Pittodrie perhaps? It could be done, with Aberdeen v Dundee Utd being on the Sunday. Or will it just be a straight swap to The Falkirk Stadium?

Cove Rangers and Dundee both through tonight.
Cove v Falkirk at Pittodrie perhaps? It could be done, with Aberdeen v Dundee Utd being on the Sunday. Or will it just be a straight swap to The Falkirk Stadium?

I doubt it’ll be moved to anywhere else, I’m sure cove are playing their games at Inverurie’s stadium. The capacity for there is 2500. I would think falkirk will bring no more than maybe 600-800.

4 minutes ago, ka202 said:

I doubt it’ll be moved to anywhere else, I’m sure cove are playing their games at Inverurie’s stadium. The capacity for there is 2500. I would think falkirk will bring no more than maybe 600-800.

Charlie Mann on the radio was saying that Cove are playing all over the place just now so there’s uncertainty over where the tie would be.

He could be talking shite of course. He became an expert in it during his brief spell as Romanov’s spin doctor.

Charlie Mann on the radio was saying that Cove are playing all over the place just now so there’s uncertainty over where the tie would be.
He could be talking shite of course. He became an expert in it during his brief spell as Romanov’s spin doctor.

Ah I see, Forfar’s station park has also been rumoured but that would be a long way from home for the cove fans.

In HL, HL Cup and the Aberdeenshire tournaments they've played games all over the place - even as far away as Lossiemouth and Keith, IIRC, as well as Formartine, Turriff, Huntly?, Inverurie and the Junior club Banks 'O Dee outwith Saturday - but in the Scottish Cup they've held all home ties at Inverurie AFAIA. It's also the ground they have to declare for SFA licensing purposes.

In theory you can't "move about" in the Scottish Cup - even qualifiers have to declare a ground - but then again it was the same in HL... possibly having the SFA President helps!

In SPFL League and Challenge cups used Forfar and Montrose, IIRC.

EDIT: If beat Brora in Saturday's abandoned Preliminary, now this Saturday, then Feb 10th = Inverurie v Turriff (HL Cup R1).

Archived