Dunfermline V League Leaders

Be an interesting contest on Friday. Pars were in reasonable form recently before Saturday's cup defeat, whilst Saints have been flying in the league recently before being brought well and truly down to earth on Saturday with a piss poor defensive display at Aberdeen.

For Saints it's a brilliant chance to go 11 points clear and put more pressure on Utd on Saturday, and the Pars need a win to stay at the top of what is currently a Play Off Pack of five. A win would also just about keep alive their hopes of getting involved in the title race.

Spanked here on our last visit I expect a much better Saints performance on Friday. Eck will surely start ahead of Stelios but not sure whether Jack will stick or twist in the middle of the park.

If he expects it to be dogged in there then he'll put Magennis in beside McGinn and start with Flynn on the right, and if he thinks it's going to be a warzone then he can put Hill in the middle and stick with Kyle on the right to give us much more physical strength at the cost of some creativity.

Should be a corker of a match. I'm sitting on the fence and going 1-1.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say I fear a pumping but tbh the thought of St Mirren romping off into the sunset is quite amusing, given the turmoil it would cause those of a tangerine persuasion. 

We were doing well early in the season with nice wee partnerships around the pitch. Shiels and Nat worked well. Higgy and Williamson linked well. Smith and McManus linked well. We've sacrificed attacking flair for being hard to beat (Cup game apart). Big Nat cruised through the last game at East End, wiping aside any St Mirren player that got in his way so we can't be too fearful. 

1-4. 

23 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If Stelios starts and is poor as he was against Aberdeen, then we have a real chance of three points. Guy looked like a pub player on Saturday.

Disappointing that we've still not announced any new players. Struggling to see the current squad being strong enough to stay in the top four.

In defence yes he had a bad yin. Check out our goal he wins the ball with complete composre under pressure from two Dons passes the ball back to Morgan for our goal. Stellos has made lots of goals this season he is great going forward any Saints fan will tell you that. I feel Ross will drop him for this game we have two new players in who I think will play Hill especially. Hard game for both clubs my fingers are crossed. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Why the assumption that Hill will start? He's a young guy with no real first team experience.

I'm not saying that he's not good enough to start, but we've seen nothing of him.

For me he is worth a try guy looks like a lethal bull. Reason ? We look weak when teams attack us we start playing deep. What we need to help try stop this ? A hard ball wining midfielder Murray / Goodwin = Hill for me. 

Why the assumption that Hill will start? He's a young guy with no real first team experience.

I'm not saying that he's not good enough to start, but we've seen nothing of him.

I agree, I think Eckersley and Flynn will start with Magennis moving into centre mid alongside MGinn.

McShane, Hill and Stelios on the bench.

On 22/01/2018 at 17:56, elvis said:

I admit I am not confident of winning any of the four games I have mentioned but I am fairly confident we could win the remaining ten. 

:lol:

We're not good enough to be champions you say. Yet if we win 10 of our last 14, like you attest to, we'll have 78 points. 

For a bit of perspective, some teams have won the league with a higher total. No team has ever NOT been champions with anything close to 78 points though. If we do what you are suggesting and don't win the league, it won't be because we're not good enough, it will be because Dundee Utd have gone on a mental14 game winning run. 

Lessons were learned after Dunfermline tore us a new one at EEP the last time round; we were fucked harder that day than at Aberdeen on Saturday.

Defence has to stay tight and we've got to harry the f**k out of their midfield. I'd be tempted to get Magennis in there and tell him to run himself into the ground for an hour, then replace him with Hill.

I think we are going to get royally humped to within an inch of our lives. We can't find the net nearly enough, and our defence switches off for a few periods during the game  

Ive already given my season ticket to one of my pals as I'd rather watch us get hammered  from the comfort of my big reclining couch  

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:39, Bobby_F said:

Ah, okay, I do remember that now.

Bitter nonsense, and what you expect from fans not players (see Hearts 1986-2017!)

Dunno, Craig Levein must've forgiven us loaning Liam Smith.

2 hours ago, P475 said:

I think we are going to get royally humped to within an inch of our lives. We can't find the net nearly enough, and our defence switches off for a few periods during the game  

Ive already given my season ticket to one of my pals as I'd rather watch us get hammered  from the comfort of my big reclining couch  

A wee bit of reverse psychology  going on there .

Below is an excerpt from the match report of our last game against Dunfermline. Three chances in the first half all set up in on way or another by McShane, add in that he is also our penalty taker and I'm really not understanding the "let's ditch McShane" mentality. Magennis is coming back to some real form after being a wee bit sluggish due to only just being back from injury and Flynn is still a bit of an unknown (although I'm sure he'll be more than fine). This is a big game and maybe not the time to tinker too much!! ......Just my opinion right enough.

"Reilly wasn't far away from netting against the side he was on loan at last season on 23 minutes. A Nat Wedderburn handball saw The Buddies awarded a free kick on the right hand side. McShane swung the ball into the Dunfermline box where Morgan nodded into the path of Reilly who then flicked goalwards with Murdoch doing well to palm away. 

The Buddies took the lead on 38 minutes after Cammy Smith finished off a nice move from the Saints. Kyle Magennis sent through a wonderful pass to find McShane who had run into the box. It really was a pass of the highest quality with McShane cutting it across the box to Gavin Reilly. The striker, who had his back to goal, took the ball in and on the turn had it pinched off him by Smith who knocked beyond Murdoch to put Saints in front. 

Saints had a huge chance to double their advantage when McShane picked out Reilly who found himself clear on goal. Murdoch raced off his line with Reilly electing to try and lob the keeper but sent the ball over the bar. "

Archived